Best Country phones?
Jun 16, 2006 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

hozo

100+ Head-Fier
You always hear people say Grados for Rock, Sennheisers for Classical, Audio Technicas for Jazz/rock/pop. What about Country music
biggrin.gif
? It has the dynamics of rock, the detail and resolution of classical, and the instrumentals of jazz. If you think about it, Country should be the most difficult to reproduce.

It has voice (male/female and on many occasions, both). It uses electric and acoustic instruments. It has lots of bass beats from drums and generated notes. Which headphone would be most suitable? Assuming the typical brand generalizations.

Grado – has the punch, soundstage?
Sennheisers – has the soundstage and detail, impact?
Electrostats – has soundstage and detail, impact and bass?
Audio Technicas, Etys ….?

Your thoughts?
Btw, of the brands I’ve heard, country sounds good on all of them.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hozo
Btw, of the brands I’ve heard, country sounds good on all of them.
biggrin.gif

I agree. Looks like you answered your own question there. It doesn't take a specific headphone to do well with country music.

Jun 17, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 30
haha, well imo country sounds awful an any headphone...but that has nothing to do with the headphone itself...

Seriously though, country doesn't have the instrumentals of jazz, and nowhere near the detail or resolution of classical. The closest statement is the dynamics similar to rock...it'd be more appropriate to look at the most common and emphasized frequencies that are produced by country music.

This is basically intuition, but if you analyze the frequency ranges of country compared to the afformentioned genres, I'd say that it's closest to rock, with more emphasis on acoustic rock. So whatever phones sound best for acoustic rock would sound best for country...

Jun 17, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hozo
Lol, gotta love the results so far.

0%
0%
Country? gag... 100%

Well there was no option for the DIY O-O-O-Orpheus.

Jun 17, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 30
The all-seeing being played a trick on me.

I was queried in my sleep about my music preferences so he could pick me a bride.

I dreampt my answer to be: "Good, Old Country,(as in old world)music. With the grandest of Old Opera." Webber is cool, but, no.

What happened next was predictable.

I got a wife and kids who prefer that good ol' country music and love the Grand ol' Opry.

.......consequently there's lots of country laying around the house; and ya know?! It don't sound half bad thru my MS-1s at that!!

Much of it has a lot of the same characteristics as early rock, so it comes as no particular surprize at all.

EDIT: I do miss the whole Alan Jackson band arrayed out across the entire listening room like I get with my speakers though. The poor MS-1s can't begin to produce that.
frown.gif

EDIT/EDIT: But then again, my speakers can't begin to pull the detail out of a recording that the MS-1s can either!! I'm listening to one of my Wifes' favorites that she listens to a lot, and there's lots of stuff that I've never heard before stuffed into a smaller piece of space right here between these yeller 414s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
haha, well imo country sounds awful an any headphone...but that has nothing to do with the headphone itself

Now if Sara Evans is involved, the impure thoughts would surely overshadow any audio concerns, for me at least!

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 30
You need to remember that country has great variety.

There is country Rock--Grado

There is country Jazz vocals---check out which are best for female jazz singers.

Country Western--who knows

Country Bluegrass---your favorite drug I guess!

Seriously though I would think which genre is closest to the type of country that you want to listen too and go see what people use for those areas.

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 30
Country that's the music if you play it backwards you get the truck back, the women back, the home back and the dog right?

J/K
tongue.gif

I listen to a little bit of country not allot!! But there are some decent country songs, the country I have listened to seems to sound fine with my Sen HD485 and my Beyer DT231...I don't think there is going to be a particular brand that is going to stand out for country music imo...

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 30
My RS-1 does fine with Johnny Cash & the occasional Garth Brooks
smily_headphones1.gif
Most of today's mainstream country is horribly recorded (worse than mainstream rock
eek.gif
) and may be better listened to through a headphone with a little less treble presence.. I'm thinking that the HD-580 or something comparable would be better with current mainstream country. Come to think of it, the Bose Triport should sound good, gotta give that a try.. (serious).

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 30
Eh, I already own a Triport (thanks again to MrSlacker). Might as well give it a try
smily_headphones1.gif
Bose stuff does suck for the price though, can't disagree
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back