Best computer speakers for $200~300?
Mar 18, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by pho_boi
I got them when they were on sale for $250 AUD, so roughly $185 USD.

Probably the best PC orientated speakers I've ever heard.

yeah no kidding, super sweet looking tube comp speakers for an awesome price, good score!

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #33 of 72
I like my logitech z-5500 speakers, really popular, quite cheap, dolby digital, dts, prologic II, coax, optical, 6 ch direct.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #34 of 72
All i can say is once you go velocity ribbon tweeter, you'll never go back
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen Z
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Klipsch. They make some tremendous media setups.

Neither can I! I'm going to be real and say that their is an ongoing competition between the klipsch and the logitech and creatives, but it has come out with the logitech being the best price-performance ratio, and the klipsch is considered by many the best, and the creative is usually not considered so highly, and have heard of people having theirs break down.

If you want computer speakers in that price range that are good, those are your 3 real options, unless you want to go into Home Theaters in a box and use RCA connectors (other then coax of course) to get sound, meaning an irregular sound card. I don't think it's worth it, the Logitechs and Klipsch / Creative are considered a lot better then cheap home theaters in a box anyway.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #38 of 72
Just a thought, but I see paradigm active studio 20s go used for under $700.

For the cheap route, I personaly use a Tivoli Model one as a computer spkear and would use a model two if I thought that I needed stereo - nice that it has a descent tuner to boot!

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #39 of 72
There is a lot of misinformation here about T-Amps. I know it's misinformation because I have 4 T-Amps (regular $30 version) running four different sets of bookshelf speakers: (NHT Superzeros, B&W 302, Kef Chorale IIIs, and Boston HD7s). The T-Amp is plenty powerful. Very clean, articulate and sweet sounding. It is fine powering speakers with 86+ efficiency. The amp has some measured bass rolloff, but I don't think that effects these smaller bookshelfs much because they don't go terribly low. I would recommend a T-Amp without hesitation for a $200 pair of bookshelf speakers. It's a great sounding little amp, and very inexpensive.

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #40 of 72
IF you were to get B&W speakers, I recommend the lowest 600 series model over the B&W 303. The B&W 600's are $350, and would probably be worth the extra $50 over the 303 for both aesthetics and sound. The B&W speakers are very smooth and laid back yet exciting, which suits my music preferences well (jazz, classical). Considering I went into buying my DM 600 by pure impulse during the christmas season, I think I made a good choice (match well with type of sound produced by my HD 600). One thing I do regret, however, is not auditioning Epos, Paradigm, Wharfedale, Swan, and the list goes on and on.

One word of advice: stay away from Logitech. It does not provide the best performance for it's price. Your better off with AV123 or Energy speakers that are cheap, but sound better than many more speakers twice it's price (according to some head-fi members and reviews). If you decide to buy used to save money, go to audiogon.

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #41 of 72
uh, do you need a source as well? if so you could snag a zhaolu and have a headamp built in. then some paradigm atoms and a t-amp would get you started. or, if you can diy a little, a charlize amp, and perhaps some triangle titus 202's if you can get them cheap, or epos

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #42 of 72
btw: i think the best answr might be to point you to another forum. i think the speaker-saviness of headfier's is rather quite low

people are scarying me withe their "logitech" comments and all; with your budget you can set up a nice bookshelf setup, and if you can be savy with used shopping or diy'ing, you'll save more

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by pho_boi
I got them when they were on sale for $250 AUD, so roughly $185 USD.

Probably the best PC orientated speakers I've ever heard.

They look amazing, how do you hook them up though?

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
They look amazing, how do you hook them up though?

Each speaker has two sets or RCA inputs (which is selectable), and I just connect them directly to my USB DAC. Each speaker is a monoblock amp, so they have their individual volume knobs. At first that put me off, but the guys at COEM assured me that each pair was matched and let me test my purchased speakers before I left. And I found it really easy to match the volumes, just simply line up the line on the volume knob with the lines on the face :p

After posting about them, a few people have PMed me about purchasing them and I really had nothing bad to tell about the speakers.

I'm not much of a reviewer, but these speakers go hard and pump very tight bass notes and they are sooooo detailed, I'm assuming most people know about tube amp's nice midrange, well this is present with these PC speakers too. I think they are perfect for the music listner but maybe not for the gamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back