Best computer speakers for $200~300?
Mar 10, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
Jeff, are those speakers self-powered?

They are indeed, and I have measured them hitting 114dB at 1m (with ear plugs in) without clipping either the amp or the speaker.

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like about them, I'll be happy to answer.

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
These are my "computer speakers," paired with a B2092A active sub, and they're absolutely astounding for the price. Not a match for a $3000 setup, but I'd pit them against a $1500 one with confidence. I am amazed at their quality - Behringer's usual shovelware policy does not hold here.

Edit: I, too, have noticed that most poly-coned speakers have a laziness to them, but I kid you not when I tell you that these do not share that commonality. They're exceptionally tight for bass reflex speakers.

i thought they looked good, if i had not bought some r6a's i would have gone for those.

The r6a's have a copolymer butyl surround woofer, and the bass/mid response is amazing, not to mention flawless highs.
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 72
I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't get big speakers like these. I'm on the second floor of a two-story townhouse and any speakers I get will be kept on the carpet floor (I have no furniture in my "bedroom" except for a dresser, and just lie right on the floor to sleep or do things on my laptop). I think any loud music from big speakers might be too disruptive to the people below. What I want to try to do is reserve my heavier music for dedicated headphone listening, and use speakers only for lighter, background music as I work. I can't work with headphones on, because I feel the music is just too intimate and distracting.

So, I don't really know if I even have a good environment that would be conducive to these kinds of speakers, nor do I think I would really need the power they give for the kind of music I plan to use them with. Does that make sense?

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #19 of 72
I do understand what you mean, although honestly they don't transfer sound vertically or even horizontally (assuming you have anything but very thin walls) unless you crank 'em - they're near-field monitors, made to be listened to from a meter (or two at the most) away. They're directional and you tilt them inwards towards your listening point.
Code:

Code:
[left]_ _ \ \ / / (_)[/left]

As such, they leak much less sound than you would expect.

However, if you're sure that you don't want good speakers, may I suggest good headphones?
580smile.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #20 of 72
I'm using the HD595 at the moment. Got a K701 and HR Micro on the way, and I will sell my HD595 once I get them. I don't know, maybe I just don't want to spend more money on speakers and I'm looking for any excuse I can to force myself to save money.
tongue.gif
I'll keep thinking about it. Thanks.

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
I'm using the HD595 at the moment. Got a K701 and HR Micro on the way, and I will sell my HD595 once I get them. I don't know, maybe I just don't want to spend more money on speakers and I'm looking for any excuse I can to force myself to save money.
tongue.gif
I'll keep thinking about it. Thanks.

booooooriiiiing, where's your visa? buy the orpheus!
tongue.gif

time for a new thread, "what should i max my visa on"

hop to it!
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 72
The answer is really simple.
The best computer speakers are self-powered active monitor speakers designed for home studios.
Visit Sweetwater.com to take a look for yourself and see what is available.
I personlly like those from Event.

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

I'm using the HD595 at the moment. Got a K701 and HR Micro on the way, and I will sell my HD595 once I get them. I don't know, maybe I just don't want to spend more money on speakers and I'm looking for any excuse I can to force myself to save money. I'll keep thinking about it. Thanks.

__________________________________________________ _______________

For a couple of years now, I've been using the Logitech Z-2200 (now currently the Z-2300), for computer listening, and I've enjoyed it just fine. Has been well reviewed by many computer mags. I paid less than $200 for this 2.1 400-watt total RMS system. I quit listening to it about 3 months ago; after I aquired an MP3 player, and three portable headphone amps...and a really good set of Grado cans.

Like you, I also live in an apartment; and was concerned about annoying my neighbours...which is why I became interested in headphone and portable gear. Once I got some really good sounding stuff, it eliminated the need for the Logitech system, since I now listen to my tunes at my comp...using my headphones.

IMO, save your money, and enjoy your K701's and HR Micro when you are using your comp. I estimate that you probably spent around $700 US on these 2 items alone. You'll be hard pressed to obtain significantly better sound from your comp with computer-speakers, for that kind of money. Not to mention...your neighbours will appreciate it
rs1smile.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #25 of 72
I'm not worried about the neighbors. The townhouse I'm in an end unit, so I only have one neighbor next to me, and I am not in the room that borders between our two units (besides, they're my aunt and uncle, and I know that nobody would be in the adjacent room anyway). Aside from that, the bedroom units located in the townhouse across from me are completely unused by the couple that just uses the master bedroom on the other side.

My concern about volume is just for my parents when they're down stairs. As much as I like the sound from headphones, I also like listening to music without having something tacked on my head. I'm not expecting them to provide the same amount of detail and immersiveness that I get from headphones--just something modest, but still quite good. I would like to get the best speakers I could, but I think I need to get the best speakers that well suit my residence. Bookshelf speakers and monitor speakers seem like they might be a bit too excessive. The Swans M200 do seem to be the best multimedia computer speakers, though; and, as such, I should probably stick with those.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 72
Epos ELS-3 are the best speakers I've heard for the money. You can buy them new for $329 here. Unlike most active monitors, these speakers have been reviewed by various stereo magazines and websites and have been found by quite a few (including Stereophile, perhaps the best known audiophile magazine) to be about the best sounding speakers for the money.

I know active monitors are convenient for computer owners that don't wish to deal with an amplifier, but I think you are going to find the best sound from audiophile-type speakers (the people who make these know a thing or two about creating products that sound really good for people who enjoy listening to music). A miniature amplifier built into each speaker is definitely a compromise, sound-wise. Also, with active monitors how are you guys adjusting the volume?

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
Epos ELS-3 are the best speakers I've heard for the money. You can buy them new for $329 here. Unlike most active monitors, these speakers have been reviewed by various stereo magazines and websites and have been found by quite a few (including Stereophile, perhaps the best known audiophile magazine) to be about the best sounding speakers for the money.

I know active monitors are convenient for computer owners that don't wish to deal with an amplifier, but I think you are going to find the best sound from audiophile-type speakers (the people who make these know a thing or two about creating products that sound really good for people who enjoy listening to music). A miniature amplifier built into each speaker is definitely a compromise, sound-wise. Also, with active monitors how are you guys adjusting the volume?

The amplifiers used are generally both very high quality and well-matched to the speakers and enclosure. Active monitors offer input trim options, usually ranging from -6dB to +6dB source, in addition to a plethora of room adjustments for high, mid, and low frequencies, with placement guides and adjustment education included.

You adjust the output of your soundcard going in. I have mine set at -6dB as a soft clipping limiter, and they still hit 110dB at full volume before replaygain kicks in.

Edit: Also, it's interesting that you think studio purposes are less important than playback purposes, for all the reasons you'd imagine it being interesting to an objectivist
smily_headphones1.gif
The music has to be originally mixed and mastered, and the gear used for that process has to be quite accurate. Of course, anyone can make something and call it a Studio Monitor regardless of how well it lives up to that claim, so caveat empor and all that.

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #28 of 72
well lets see here..... Your budget seems to beable to stretch to about $700?? Am I right?? If so, then the active speaker route might be very much worth checking out. Check out KRK, Yamaha, Dynaudio, Event, Tannoy, BlueSky, Beringher, Tapco, Samson, Wharfedale. If you have a pro audio store in your area that carry any of these, then check them out. What you can do is get a cheap pre to act as a volume control if you want to, or use the software volume control.

On the passive front, I would recommend Mission, B&W, Dynaudio and NHT speakers. I have heard models in each range and like the sound of all the listed brands.

The B&W 303 gets good press and is affordable. A tripath reciever and a pair of stands will still fit in your budget.

If you can stretch a bit further, the Dynaudio Audience 40/42 or 50/52 new or used are great speakers and kick harder than their size suggests. The same amp and stands and this will fill out your budget.

If you are looking for dirt cheap, scour audiogon for some used speakers, a used amp and then buy or make some stands

example:

Speakers- http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....oni&1146192966

Amp- http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1147225882

just an example. Thats $500 bucks?? And for sure good sound.

D

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #30 of 72
those look great, how much $$?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back