Best computer chair? Herman Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap, Humanscale Freedom?
Oct 22, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #76 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use an antique Koken barber's chair from the late 1800's. It allows me to adjust the height to my liking, it swivels in every direction possible, I can rest my feet in many positions, it tilts every which way, is non-fatiguing, doesn't break in a year, is super comfortable, isn't made of plastic and finally, it doesn't feel like I'm sitting on doll house furniture.

Oooh, I want one!

Jun 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #77 of 101
I have been looking for a good desk/headphone chair and I happened to stumble upon this one at Scan Interiors:

:: IMG ::

It is the first "reclining" office chair that I have run across. I could go from work mode to "lounging headphone" mode without changing chairs! Anyone ever heard of this particular chair? I think it costs around $1100 (I did not write down the number because I was supposed to be shopping for a coffee table with my gf).
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #79 of 101
My Aeron Mod - yes ... "modified aeron"

I agree with folks who say some things on Aeron. I have the fully loaded top of the line, 3 months old, bought at ebay for $350, which is a good price. Size C, which is the proper size for me.

Aeron needs badly a revision. So for example:

1) no head support !! (Herman cancelled the design project)
2) upper back not firm enough
3) if using posture fit - middle back no support, lower back good
4) if using lumbar pad - middle back good, lower back no support
5) seat front frame - this is the worst part of the chair. Sucks!!!!!

I am leaving out here that mesh damages cotton pants. This is not a problem of Aeron , but general of mesh materials.

Here is what I have done with Aeron to fix this:

1) I have added a head support! Yes, you can add head support. I bought a chair from garage sale and it had very similar frame with a head support mounted on top. I removed the head support and mounted it on Aeron. Mounting was easy like 1-2-3. The bracket fits. The other chair looked like a very cheap aeron copy but added head rest. Fits perfect. Looking on the chair, it looks totally cool, like a pilot seat, like an original Aeron head support. Heigh of the head support is adjustable thought a button.

2) Took an old thick soft rubber hose, cut in half and stick it in the back, so it holds in the frame and supports my back little bit.

3) My chair comes with posture fit, so I am OK with lower back. For middle back I bought an extra lumbar pad (size C) and carved it out in such way that it can be placed above the posture fit. Now I have both posture fit and lumbar pad. Posture fit can still move freely and independently.

4) see above

5) Here comes the REAL sucker!. So far I haven't been able to find a better solution than buying a stadium sitting pad from wallmart and put it under my legs. Not a very good idea, but works just so-so (=softens pressure a bit). I'll try to fix the problem with similar solution like for upper back, however harder material.

The chair looks now like Aeron 2.0.

The additional mods cost me about $100 extra, plus scrap construction material.

In addition I created a leg or footrest on wheels(whatever you call it). I bought a round pad on wheels (the one you get in flowers departement in stores, it is for pot flowers) put a cushion on it and here we go... I also have Webble, which you can get here The Webble - Active Footrest.

I don't have a camera right now, besides that crappy one in my cell phone. I'll post pictures on my blog after I figure out how to solve the front seat frame problem. I'll post my findings then.

I think Aeron is better a home office chair than a work office chair, because it is not a good chair in case you need to make phone calls, reach out to stuff etc... It is more designed for situations when you type things lay back or browse internet for a few hours and can sit still still and recline etc. Good for sleeping, now with the head support added, if only there wasn't the seat frame problem.

It is a very solid and durable chair, like it can really be a workhorse.

Hope I provide some ideas here for the handy people here.

Until I get a chance to try Steelcase I stick to my modded Aeron
smile.gif

Cheers.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #80 of 101
...just noticed this thread. Back 10 years ago, when I hurt my back, I bought all new chairs for my old company ...settled on Obus-Form high-backs. Great chairs, about 500-600 each back then ...have served me well, but after 5-6 years they began to malfunction (tilt stopped working, etc). Now they are downright ratty, so it's time to replace them. (My office is now only me myself and I)

When you sit in chair 10+ hours a day (whether that be playing a FPS, which I admittedly did when younger, or working), and if you are a slight bit mis-shaped like a 300b tube, or past 50 (both apply to me) a good chair, like a good mattress, is the difference between being miserable and uncomfortable or being comfortable and productive.

Seems like the Steelcase is worth checking out, and since the factory is just a mile from my house; I get a chance to buy Canadian
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #81 of 101
I should mention that I bought the reclining IMG chair I mentioned in the post above and love it. They come in two sizes and I got the large version. Here is a pic:

original.jpg

Th headrest is adjustable, so if you do decide to recline, you can tilt the headrest to make it easier to see the monitor.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #82 of 101
@ uofmtiger, Nice, deep chair. My problem w/chairs is they're hardly ever deep enough unless you get one for big & tall.

If you have shoulder pain as well as back problems a armrest the angles somewhat forward is also a plus for some reason. Feels better when you're arms are at rest.

My office / work chair is a Via Heathrow Series Highback. It does the trick for me.

Via - Heathrow Series High Back Chair

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #83 of 101
I have an Eames aluminum executive chair, high back in white, and find it very comfortable. The only problem is when I have jeans on I need to put something over it, or the chair turns blue...
frown.gif

It's very comfortable, fits my style well and everyone loves it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #84 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ech0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ uofmtiger, Nice, deep chair. My problem w/chairs is they're hardly ever deep enough unless you get one for big & tall.

If you have shoulder pain as well as back problems a armrest the angles somewhat forward is also a plus for some reason. Feels better when you're arms are at rest.

My office / work chair is a Via Heathrow Series Highback. It does the trick for me.

Via - Heathrow Series High Back Chair

I have back problems and I am 6'5, so I needed a large chair. The ability to recline at different angles also helps with my back that gets stiff when I am in the same position for hours on end. I do not have shoulder problems, so the armrests do not really seem to make much difference to me. I had a typical mesh styled chair that would allow me to lean back (like most office chairs), but my neck would hurt after a while.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #87 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should mention that I bought the reclining IMG chair I mentioned in the post above and love it. They come in two sizes and I got the large version. Here is a pic:

Th headrest is adjustable, so if you do decide to recline, you can tilt the headrest to make it easier to see the monitor.

how much did it cost ya?

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #88 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much did it cost ya?

It was around $1100 if I remember correctly. The large size chair (which is what I bought) costs more than their normal chair. Also, I got their basic black leather with cherry accents (you can't see the cherry in the picture). If you want a different color leather or material, I think it costs more. It was a 3 month wait for anything other than black leather in my local area, so I went with the black.

I know they make really nice office task chairs for around the same price, but I do a lot of headphone listening and lounging in front of my desk, so I went with this "hybrid" type of chair.

May 25, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #90 of 101
Yeah dude........ its good but i think Aeron is the best One year ago I had a problem with my computer chair. I am a large guy 6'4" 270lbs and well it seems that my chair now has a lean to it and if i go forward the chair and purchase chair from http://www.aeron-chair.org/. Now a days i am enjoying my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back