Best computer audio setup/ newb help.
Jul 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JulianH

New Head-Fier
So I'm getting into computer audio and I am really confused as to the process of getting high quality audio from my hard drive to my headphones or to a stereo system. I have a desktop with on board audio as well as a laptop and a pair of AKG Q701s. Take my desktop for example. To get FLAC playing on my computer to my stereo in high quality what do I need to get? a soundcard and external DAC. Then go: Computer->soundcard->DAC->stereo? do I need an amp in there before the stereo as well? There are so many options for audio it's extremely confusing when I have no idea what to research. Right now I am listening to my Q701s and I am going from the headphone jack to a FIIO E5 portable headphone amp to my headphones and I can't help feeling that it should sound better. If someone could shed some light on these mysteries for me it would be greatly appreciated :)

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 4
It might help to know the make and model of the stereo system.

1 option
S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) cable, connecting the computer to the receiver.

2nd option
Get an Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $55) and run an analog audio cable from the Xonar's line-out/headphone jack to the analog inputs on the receiver.

3rd option
get a Schiit Modi USB DAC ($99), connect the computer to Modi using a USB cable, then an analog audio cable from the Modi to the receiver.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 4
sound card and dac are pretty much the same when talking about decoding stereo signal(eg,stereo music), a dac may(not all) have more input ports than sound card.
So a computer set up is computer-->dac(the simplest is via usb port)-->headamp-->headphone
based on your budget you may want to add an interface(which is usb to coaxial converter to get better signal)
some manufacturer offer dac/amp combo and you dont need to worry about buying seperate devices, eg. audio-gd products

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
To get FLAC playing on my computer to my stereo in high quality what do I need to get? a soundcard and external DAC. Then go: Computer->soundcard->DAC->stereo?

The only reason why you'd need both a soundcard and a DAC are:

1) Gaming vs stereo use - use the soundcard "better" than the motherboard's audio processor for games, especially with surround simulation for headphones (note: some gaming headphones come with their own USB DACs)

2) To use an SPDIF digital output from the soundcard if your motherboard doesn't have it, and your DAC doesn't have USB; or if its USB input isn't compatible with high-res formats you have on your computer and a DAC with SPDIF has other benefits (cheaper than a new DAC or you really like your DAC's sound, you also need #1, etc)

----

I'll get ahead of you and anticipate what your next question might then be - soundcard or external DAC? - assuming both are only for stereo listening (ie you're fine with onboard sound for games). Consider the following:

1) Soundcard will be one more thing in your PC case that can impede airflow. (note: if you're using water cooling, you don't rely as much on airflow for cooling)

2) You can use an external DAC with another compatible source, whether it's something that is more dedicated like any optical disc player (BluRay player, CDP, etc) that has a compatible SPDIF digital connections, or even a general purpose device like an iPad or smartphone. Depending on what you hook up your PC with, like if it has SPDIF, you can leave the cable or dock with the other device hooked up and use it when you're not using the computer.

------------------

Quote:
Computer->soundcard->DAC->stereo? do I need an amp in there before the stereo as well?

What do you mean by "stereo"? By definition, stereo(scopic) is basically Left-Right information, whether vision (as in anything that isn't a cyclops or a spider) or in this case, audio. If you're referring to an existing home audio system that you have, then it probably has its own amp for the speakers. Question now is if you will have enough of the right kind of outputs, ie, if you're hooking up the DAC to the existing stereo amp that powers the speakers but has no headphone output (or if it does, the headphone might sound "wrong"* on it).

In such a case, you'd need a second output to the stereo amp for your speakers. You can get a headphone amp that has a bypass output, or even a preamp output (you just have to set the speaker amp at a level that you can control with the main volume control on the preamp, which can be part of the headphone amp or the DAC). Also, check if your current amp has a bypass/loop output and you can hook up your headphone amp to that; sometimes it's labelled "Tape (Loop)".

In any case, if it's an existign stereo system, what have you got?

*Sometimes people blame the wrong component, ie the amp but the headphone really sounds like that, but there are times the amp just can't cut it depending on the headphone specs. Look up "output impedance," and more, on the Audio Glossary here

-------------

Quote:
Right now I am listening to my Q701s and I am going from the headphone jack to a FIIO E5 portable headphone amp to my headphones and I can't help feeling that it should sound better.

In that case, I really suggest a headphone amp; just get one that can help hooking up your system as you like, and also if it pairs well with the K70x cans (just search for "amp for K701/Q701/K702 here and you'd end up reading for days)

BTW, you can also :

1) Get a DAC that has a preamp output, and get a new power amp for your speakers. That way you simplify the gain structure (ie only one volume pot in the signal path to the speakers), then use its fixed level output to the headphone amp. Lots of cheap T-amps (low power, but low distortion) out there.

PC-->USB DAC-->fixed output-->headphone amp-->headphone
                            -->variable output-->power amp-->speakers

2) Get a DAC that has a headphone amp built into it, as long as it does great with the Q701, and a fixed level output for your stereo system:

PC-->USB DAC-Headphone Amp-->headphone
                                                            -->fixed output-->existing stereo system
        (or alternately)                          -->variable output-->power amp-->speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back