Best Compression format for the iPod?
Jun 6, 2003 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Mat Bon 0013

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm fast becoming unsure with mp3 now that I have an amp in between my iPod and Headphones. I have at best ripped my CD's at 192k and still the amp is revealling it's short comings (mp3).
Would appreciate any format recommendations other than mp3. And where do you change ripping preferences?
Cheers
Mat

Jun 6, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 31
You only have three options concerning the iPod- mp3, aac, or wav/aiff. If you want absolute CD quality go wav/aiff, but your iPod is going to fill up quickly. Properly encoded mp3's have their limitations, but your amp only (what headphones are you using) is unlikely to expose them. Mp3's at their highest will sound better than aac's at their highest. You should go over to Hydrogen Audio and learn about mp3's and aac's. Try lame extreme and insane settings and see what you think.

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 31
Thanks blessingx......
Does this mean that I thrash my existing iTues Library and start ripping a new one to replace it, or is there a reverse way of doing it?

Jun 6, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 31
if what you're asking is whether or not you can convert your existing .mp3s into higher quality ones, then unfortunately, you can't. you have to re-rip them from CD. and i'd definitely second blessingx's recommendation of the lame --alt-presets.

Jun 6, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 31
Thanks guys! Will be spending the weekend re-ripping to higher formats on iTunes now .....sheesh!!
Thanks

Jun 6, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Mp3's at their highest will sound better than aac's at their highest.

True, at the highest levels, but at lower levels AAC is better.

I personally have started ripping all my music at 160k AAC and have been extremely happy with the quality.

Jun 6, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
True, at the highest levels, but at lower levels AAC is better.

I personally have started ripping all my music at 160k AAC and have been extremely happy with the quality.

Thanks! Note taken.......

Jun 6, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 31
Mat Bon 0013
Quote:

Will be spending the weekend re-ripping to higher formats on iTunes now .....sheesh!!

You will see: it will be more fun than you'd have expected...
tongue.gif

peacesign.gif

Jun 7, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 31
I have no experience with iTunes, but on the windows platform i use EAC + Lame.

Here are my extra LAME parameters:

-b 320 -m j -h -k --noath

=P

Jun 7, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 31
the parameters mean.....

-b 320 = bitrate at 320

-m j = mode, joint stereo

-h = high quality, slower encoding

-k = full bandwidth. not 100% clear on this settings. I hear that it keeps more of the bits contained on the mp3. Dont use with lower bitrates, it might create artifacts by compressing too much stuff into too little space.

--noath = disable ATH. Disable any use of the ATH (absolute threshold of hearing) for masking. Normally, humans are unable to hear any sound below this threshold. Otherwords, turns off the high/low pass filters.

Jun 7, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 31
Gregor, Xecter,
Now that is very useful info, thanks!
working on some now.......I just realized I need a bigger HD
rolleyes.gif

This T&A thing is eating on HD space.......
Regards
Mat

Jun 7, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 31
BTW whats this lame preset thing all you guys are talking about. I have a mac with 10.2 running but I dont have any of this lame thing. Please explain someone.

Jun 7, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 31
You can use iTunes as a frontend for LAME if you grab the OS X package and the iTunes script

Get your preferred version of LAME here
http://www.culater.net/osd/packages.html

and the iTunes script here
http://www.blacktree.com/apps/

Install them, and you'll have an option under the scripts menu of iTunes to rip and encode a playlist or CD using LAME. Then you specify your command line settings ('--alt-preset extreme' for example) and where you'd like the files saved. The terminal will launch and you'll see the encoding progress and statistics. The files will be automatically added to a playlist in iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back