Best Component CD player?
Aug 11, 2001 at 5:44 AM Post #46 of 80
100.000$ ,eh?

To me, this sounds like an Orpheus, an Accuphase source, and....... a sports car.

Who needs amp and/or speakers if he owns an Orpheus?
smily_headphones1.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 11, 2001 at 7:22 PM Post #47 of 80
Well, thanx for all the help - I ordered the 495. I kno - I should've auditioned, but my dad was barely convinced on these. If I were to tell him - "Ya kno, I might not like 'em, I better audition..." - he would laugh in my face. Then take his credit card back.

So.....I'm pretty happy right now.

And I think i want to save up for the JVC wab was talking about - it's an AWESOME machine.....if only it was half that price...

Aug 11, 2001 at 7:31 PM Post #48 of 80
Coolvij: I thought your budget was $100? The JVC XL-Z 132, which is identical to the XL-Z 232 except for the remote control and a couple of minor functions ("index" and "total remain"), costs exactly $99 over here! You might want to check a few shops to see how much they sell for over there in the US.

Aug 11, 2001 at 7:54 PM Post #49 of 80
Quote:

Well, thanx for all the help - I ordered the 495. I kno - I should've auditioned, but my dad was barely convinced on these. If I were to tell him - "Ya kno, I might not like 'em, I better audition..." - he would laugh in my face. Then take his credit card back.

Sorry to be so long winded, but i think that if you said this:

"I got a chance to listen to these headphones and compaed them with a wide variety of headphones at all price ranges, and decided that these were a good balance between cost and performace, as well as musicality and neutrality"

it would be more convincing than if you said this:

"Can i borrow your credit card to buy these headphones, i saw a picture of on the internet? They only cost 4 times more than my current headphones, and i think they sound better..."

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 10:35 PM Post #51 of 80
Thomas: I actually talked with him for 1/2 an hour about the things that high-end headphones bring to the table, and such. In the end, he relented - against his own will - with the stipulation that I give him my 888s (!). Damn.....he's mean.
rolleyes.gif

Oh well - I figure my KSC-35s are pretty good, too.

And redwood - as SOON as I start makin money (I'll be able to drive by then) - I'm gonna go audition every last headphone carried in every last hi-fi shop, lol. Or maybe I'll just audition RS-1s...and HD600s....and 931s....and CD3000s.....and Etys (!),...and Koss A200s....and.....um....well, the point is, I WANT to...

I feel bad - I should've listened to you guys for sure. And you guys (and girls? c'mon, I kno you're out there, with male screen names - Mike Walker? or "Mike" Walker?
wink.gif
jk ) are always right...

I have let down my teachers....BANISH ME!

eek.gif
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 11:04 PM Post #52 of 80
wab: the lowest price I found on Yahoo! Shopping was $150
frown.gif
and excluding shipping at that

Aug 12, 2001 at 5:29 AM Post #53 of 80
See i'm the exact opposite of you...

i was on headwize for months, went out and auditioned everything, asking radioshack salesman to stop selling cell phones for a sec to open up a pair of Koss Sportapros for me to audition, asked audiophile salesman to stop selling $10 000 interconnects to let me listen to their Grado RS-2 and Senn-600, before i bought a single high end headphone, or made 1 cent
smily_headphones1.gif

ety's might be a problem to audition, i doubt any stores will let you listen, but there's always the headroom 30 day money back guarentee... or you could borrow some at a headfizer meeting...

Aug 12, 2001 at 8:26 AM Post #54 of 80
Okay, I was pretty much wondering the same thing this guy was, only I want a changer.

Those sony megachangers, would they make a decent transport to an external DAC? I don't want whatever cheapo player I get ******** with the signal before it gets to the equipment that really matters. I've had a bad experience with a certain sound card the upsamples.....I don't want to talk about it.

Aug 12, 2001 at 1:26 PM Post #55 of 80
Thomas: but you could!

Newayz...I hope I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'll probably return em, or maybe sell em out here... ("em" being the Sennheiser 495s)

Getting back to the topic - the JVC is something I'm gonna save up for (odd jobs, birthday money from my abundance of relatives, etc).

I get the feeling it is MUCH better than the TEAC - plus it has an optical out, which lets me record MDs. At the house I live in....not my dad's.

Aug 12, 2001 at 6:15 PM Post #56 of 80
yep, one good thing about headphones is they seem to keep their value very well, many used headphones (esp grado) seem to sell for only a few dollars less than the original price...

anyways, I personally don't like the megachangers, i don't find them as convenient as just about any other type of player. I'd think that it would be really hard to remember which position the discs are in, and if you want to listen to a CD somewhere else (car, discman), it'll be a real hassle.

But they are quite cheep these days, and i'd guess that the transport is reasonably good, comparable to other players in that price range. I really don't think its worth spending lots of money on a good transport until you already have a good DAC and can compare to see if there is really a difference. DACs with assymetric sampling rate converters or good jitter-resistant recievers shouldn't be affected too much by the quality of the transport.

And i'm sure that even the worst componant CDP will put out a MUCH cleaner signal than the best consumer soundcard....

Coolvj, i still think you should check out used CDPs, i think they will give you much better performance for that price...And the teac, are you talking about the minisystems? The teac componant CDPs look quite nice to me, are very compact (size of x-ray?), and have optical out...

Aug 12, 2001 at 8:57 PM Post #57 of 80
They have optical out? hmm......I didn't notice that as a feature for the 1120 model......I'm VERY interested in that one....only $69.99 at J&R!

Aug 13, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #58 of 80
Hmm, JandR stopped sending me their catalog, so i didn't know of this cheap model. I can't find any info about it, though i didn't look very hard...

in my post, i was reffering to the "reference series", which is around $199, which may be out of your price range... it looks like this-

TEAPDH3001.GIF

I haven't heard too much about it, and dunno how it compares to others at that price, but it looks like a pretty sweet player for a compact headphone system. Just pair it with a DAC and you're set...

I seem to recall (no idea where, or if its accurate at all) that some audiophile grade CDPs use Teac transports...

Aug 13, 2001 at 4:42 AM Post #59 of 80
Are you sure this model has optical out? The website mentions that feature on the Teac CD recorder ($399) but doesn't mention it in the specs on the player only ($199)

Aug 13, 2001 at 4:54 AM Post #60 of 80
Hmm, i dunno then, i remember seeing toslink out in the JandR printed catalogs, but it could have been the more expensive model....

the one model up is $250, and is listed as having both types of digital out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back