Best closed 'utility' can for headphone-only DJ mixing at home? At any price.
May 15, 2023 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Reticuli2

500+ Head-Fier
Currently, when I DJ at home, I'm using either IEMs or open headphones, both hi-fi audiophile stuff, IMO. The former sometimes hurt my ears and, besides, are inconvenient to put in an take out when necessary, and the latter are slightly obscured by noise from traffic, dogs, and AC & computer fans.

So, what's the best closed utility can for headphone-only DJ mixing at home?

By utility, I mean not necessarily pleasure headphones, but rather the ability to separate the individual sounds and layers with minimal blur & (I assume) distortion. Hard-sounding, slight non-neutrality, or not super spatial-sounding all might be ok, as is not having the best isolation, as long it's better isolation than any open headphones out there of similar sonic capabilities and has great resolution, separation, etc, allowing it to excel in this functional application.

Unlike studio production, sound-design, multi-track mixing, and mastering where perfect neutrality might be most important, IMO there's also no pudding (for the proof, as it were) really in those applications, which are rather subjective, comparatively to headphone-only DJing. When DJing by-ear, you have to do something with the headphone objectively, like trying to hear faint voices in some communications intelligence application or the old school dude on a submarine with the headphones. While people aren't going to die in this case, it's a similar critical listening situation and has measurable outcomes for me, since I don't use visual aids or BPM counters.

Price should be no concern, though if people recommend two similarly-capable headphones for this task, I'm liable to choose the cheaper of the two, unless the more expensive one just so happens to also be more pleasing-sounding, I suppose. I'm not *against* the headphone secondarily having a recreational purpose.

Thanks.

P.S. Headphone-only by-ear DJing without using speakers. Oh, and the headphone should be capable of doing this job at moderate volumes without needing to be cranked way up to 'hear into the mix', as it were. Being able to get cranked up and still sound good is a bonus, but I try to keep my volumes as modest as possible and still DJ.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 6
A lot of DJs use the Sennheiser HD25 series during live sets, as one side can swivel up and the on-ear design is easily removable:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Monitor-Headphones-Headphone-Padded/dp/B0862DBWTB

However, this one will provide a wider sound presentation and is more comfortable:

https://drop.com/buy/drop-ultrasone-signature-x

Thanks, but I already own both HD25s and two Ortofon-branded & Ultrasone-built headphones, and 20+ years of these types of headphones (Sony, Beyerdynamic, Fostex, KRK, Koss, and on and on), as well as audiophile open headphones and IEMs. Not interested in more mid-fi studio or DJ headphones. I am looking for closed-back around the ear headphones that are up to the performance of open headphones and IEMs for at-home headphone-only (as in no speakers) DJing done completely by ear without BPM counters or sync.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, but I already own both HD25s and two Ortofon-branded & Ultrasone-built headphones, and 20+ years of these types of headphones (Sony, Beyerdynamic, Fostex, KRK, Koss, and on and on), as well as audiophile open headphones and IEMs. Not interested in more mid-fi studio or DJ headphones. I am looking for closed-back around the ear headphones that are up to the performance of open headphones and IEMs for at-home headphone-only (as in no speakers) DJing done completely by ear without BPM counters or sync.

Check out this one:

https://drop.com/buy/drop-mrspeaker...nes?searchId=43f75d1472a415b8abcdea4a91f0dfa9

May 17, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 6
Out of curiosity, why are you asking so much out of your deejaying headphones? I've been deejaying for a while and I've always looked at those headphones merely a utility, only to get snare drums in my ears so I can beatmatch. Also, don't forget, a lot of the headphone outputs on mixers just aren't that great, and probably even less great out of something like a controller/standalone all in one.

May 17, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Out of curiosity, why are you asking so much out of your deejaying headphones? I've been deejaying for a while and I've always looked at those headphones merely a utility, only to get snare drums in my ears so I can beatmatch. Also, don't forget, a lot of the headphone outputs on mixers just aren't that great, and probably even less great out of something like a controller/standalone all in one.

Because I have hearing damage and post-COVID sequelae tinnitus, and need as high fidelity as I can get. I was trying to get very high end headphone-only DJ mixing sound before those issues occurred, though, but I pursued that using open and IEM solutions previously. This isn't for live use blasting past mains in front of an audience. Read the original post, please. BTW, I have headphone amps, including some capable of zero ohm & no-gain buffer modes. and, besides, I think you'd be surprised how well designed and powerful a lot of headphone jacks are on major DJ mixers. Two of my mixers, though, can bypass the headphone jacks, anyway, and route that signal to the rear outputs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back