Best Closed Headphones Under 500$ For Studio Use?
Jan 9, 2016 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Delayeed

500+ Head-Fier
My current main headphone is the Sennheiser HD600 paired with a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus and I need something that will cut off outside noises more.

I'm wanting something flat to be able to mix with good low bass extension and as much detail as possible in this price range without sounding harsh since I'm quite treble sensitive. 

Current contenders for me are: Oppo PM3, NAD VISO HP50 and Shure SRH1540

The NAD VISO HP50 seems attractive because of its price and reviews but I'm open to suggestions

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 22
Questions to you:

- How big are your ears (S/M/L/XL)? (this defines how good seal and thus, isolation and bass impact you get, depending on headphone pad size)
- How many hours at a time do you plan wearing these? (some headphones have atrocious long term wear comfort)
- Do you wear glasses? (if you do, some models with non conforming/shallow pads or too small pads are out of the question)
- How much isolation you need from outside noises (more than HD600, but better or insanely better? I.e. recording in studio or live venue?)
- How much leakage can the cans have? (will you be recording into a mic, when playing with the headphones)
- Do you move a lot around your workstation or do you move the headset a lot? (removable cable quickly becomes a necessity)
- What is more important : accuracy/neutrality or sonic pleasantness/non-fatiguing sound? (no one size fits all exists here, imho)

My take, before you answer:

- HP50 - finicky about seal, forget if  you wear glasses (bass is gone), plasticky and flimsy construction, won't take a beating. Personally found the head-band causing comfort issues after 30-40 minutes
- PM-3 - way too small pads, practically on-ear for medium sized ears. Lots of clamping force. Excellent isolation/leakage prevention.
- SRH1540 - if you go low or loud on the bass, get ready for distortion. Nowhere near the isolation of PM-3. Many say comfy

I'd also audition Focal Spirit Professional, although it has QC issues, may sound too fatigueing to you and also clamps a lot (uncomfortable). However, it is a decent neutral monitoring headphone.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 22
Never mix with headphones. Sorry, mandatory and I had to say it. 

With that out the way, I know you, like all the others are going to do it anyway because things like neighbors, wife/GF, or a host of other reason why you're not able to make loud noises. If at all possible, uses multiple sources for monitoring-car stereo, TV, etc

Here are some that I've had success with in order:

Audioquest Nighthawk
Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog
Yamaha MT220

I once tried to mix with Senn HD650's-big fail. It's on the thin side, so if you mix with that as your only monitor, mixes will most likely turn out muddy with a boomy bass. Keeping that in mind, I generally stay away from open headphones because I personally have a lot of bass problems with them. 

The 3 I mentioned have very tight bass and great detail. The Nighthawk could be slightly above your budget AND it's semi closed but I haven't found a better mixing headphone yet. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 22
Thanks for reply!

I think my ears are medium and yeah comfort is quite important should be able to wear them 24 hours no problem. I dont wear any glasses. Medium/Good isolation is important and leakage Isn't a problem.
I don't move when wearing headphones pretty much and neutrality and accuracy is more important.

I figured just EQ it when I just want something fun. (i know EQ is not good but having fun so doesn't really matter for me)

Also my head is quite thin so for example people complaining about the HD 600s clamping force I find them absolutely spot on for me.

Basically looking for a closed HD 600 with possibly more detail/highs without it being too piercing 
(ofc stereoimaging not gonna be as good and I have accepted it already) 

What I'm wanting might not even exist so yeah I don't know :D

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 22
  Thanks for reply!

I think my ears are medium and yeah comfort is quite important should be able to wear them 24 hours no problem. I dont wear any glasses. Medium/Good isolation is important and leakage Isn't a problem.
I don't move when wearing headphones pretty much and neutrality and accuracy is more important.

I figured just EQ it when I just want something fun. (i know EQ is not good but having fun so doesn't really matter for me)

Also my head is quite thin so for example people complaining about the HD 600s clamping force I find them absolutely spot on for me.

Basically looking for a closed HD 600 with possibly more detail/highs without it being too piercing 
(ofc stereoimaging not gonna be as good and I have accepted it already) 

What I'm wanting might not even exist so yeah I don't know :D

The Nighthawk is semi-closed but it's very light and comfortable. The highs will never be piercing and has probably the smoothest treble of any headphone over $500. it's $598  Amazon but you may be a be able to get it cheaper.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 22
Thanks for your input. I use JBL LSR 305's to check my mixes and I pretty much exclusively make my drums with them because of the lacking transient response of the HD 600's

But other than that I've produced with headphones for years so my mixing is better on them than on monitors haha.

Alpha Dogs seem intresting as well will look into them more.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 22
I think you could look into:

Shure SRH940 or KRK KNS8400 (these are the "usual" bright-ish signature monitor cans)

LFFs Paradox or MrSpeakers Mad Dogs Pro (more neutral-ish type cans)

Those would be my picks.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 22
He wants something "flat-er"... 1540s, almost basshead levels of low end. Good cans? Yeah. Colored? Totally.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 22

I feel like my heart is set on the Alpha Dogs now but will see...
biggrin.gif

Did you try to wear them for long time? I would, if comfort were to be one selection criteria.

not sure if you're saying whether theyre comfy to wear for a long time or not?

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back