Best closed-headphones for studio monitoring & video playback
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TLoe

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the HF forums. A friend and I are really looking into doing some amateur recording in our free time. He plays the guitar and piano while I can play the tenor sax and sing. We have high hopes to start a YouTube channel with some comedic scene work in addition to our music aspirations. I'm looking for a good set of over-ear headphones to monitor and edit our recordings. I would also like to stay under $200, with preference toward something in the $99 range. There are plenty of audiophiles at my university, and they have suggested NVX Audio XPT100's. After doing some research of my own, I came up with something in the Audio Technica M-series (30x, 40x, or 50x). Those I spoke with felt that the late M-series models had a V frequency range and would not be neutral enough for monitoring. However, as I'm obviously not a professional, I thought the versatility of the M30x or M40x would work in my favor. I'm a fan of country, alternative, soft rock, and musical soundtracks, hence, I would like a pair that can work for both studio work and casual listening. I would greatly appreciate any feedback about the models that I've listed or other suggestions you may have.

Summary:

Looking for:

-Over-Ear Headphones

To do:

-Monitoring/studio work

-At home listening

Favorite Genres:

-Country

-Alternative

-Soft Rock

-Musicals/Soundtracks/Showtunes

Price Range:

-Under $200

-Ideally around $99

Comments on:

Audio Technica M30x, M40x, M50x?

NVX XPT100?

Others??

Thanks in advance!

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 15
Thank you. How critical is it to have a completely neutral sound? And I'd appreciate any comments on the models that I suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 15
Based on the wide variety of very popular studio headphones that are not particularly flat and neutral, I suspect it is more important for the headphones to be very familiar to the person wearing them. If you know what your headphones are doing to the mix, then you can compensate for it in the mix and be confident of what it will sound like for your target market.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 15
Based on the wide variety of very popular studio headphones that are not particularly flat and neutral, I suspect it is more important for the headphones to be very familiar to the person wearing them. If you know what your headphones are doing to the mix, then you can compensate for it in the mix and be confident of what it will sound like for your target market.

These are my thoughts too, but for those starting out I'd recommend a neutral headphone because it would be easier to get a grip on I would think.  AKG is another popular choice.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 15
I've done some lurking and it sounds like the M50's get a lot of hype, though they don't really live up to standards. Any comments on the XPT 100's? And what model AKG would you suggest?

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 15
  I've done some lurking and it sounds like the M50's get a lot of hype, though they don't really live up to standards. Any comments on the XPT 100's? And what model AKG would you suggest?

If you're looking at closed headphones, you can get the K550, K545, or K540 with your budget.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 15
It's hard to narrow down my decision with the large number of different suggested models. I know I want full cans for monitoring purposes, but since this will only be amateur work, I'm not sure what else I should be looking for beyond a neutral frequency response. Advice?

Also, I'd be really interested to hear from anyone with experience using the NVX Audio XPT 100's. Seeing how I was recommended these by someone locally, I would love to get a third-party/"expert" opinion.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 15
  It's hard to narrow down my decision with the large number of different suggested models. I know I want full cans for monitoring purposes, but since this will only be amateur work, I'm not sure what else I should be looking for beyond a neutral frequency response. Advice?

Also, I'd be really interested to hear from anyone with experience using the NVX Audio XPT 100's. Seeing how I was recommended these by someone locally, I would love to get a third-party/"expert" opinion.

If you can get a pair of SRH940 then that's probably your best bet.
http://en.goldenears.net/10181

Best Luck

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 15

You seem to be be fishing for confirmation of your opinion going into this thread.  For this kind of work you need a neutral can to do it properly.  If you are more invested in having fun during the process, then you can select whatever sound signature you prefer.

The NVX appears to be another clone of cans put out under many brands, including the Brainwavz HM 5.  It is fairly neutral, so it is not bad for your stated use.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 15

You seem to be be fishing for confirmation of your opinion going into this thread.  For this kind of work you need a neutral can to do it properly.  If you are more invested in having fun during the process, then you can select whatever sound signature you prefer.

The NVX appears to be another clone of cans put out under many brands, including the Brainwavz HM 5.  It is fairly neutral, so it is not bad for your stated use.

Honestly, I was just looking for opinions, especially from those with experience in the area. I'm sure there are plenty newcomers like myself on the site, so I see no wrong in "fishing", as you say, for answers in what seems to be a knowledgeable community.

After reconsidering the level of work I'll be doing, I've decided to stick to a tighter budget, something under $120. I've found the ATH-M40x to be one of the best options. No, they are not dead neutral, but considering I'll also be doing some casual listening, they seem to best fit my needs. I appreciate all the advice; thanks to everyone who made a meaningful contribution!

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 15
I agree with billybob above. As long as you know what the headphones are adding or subtracting to the sound it doesn't really matter what you use. Having said that, I have three sets of full-size headphones (see my sig). I vastly prefer the sound of my HD 650 for everything but I use my AKG Q701 exclusively for creating music. The Q's have a huge soundstage which makes panning much easier to do accurately plus, I figure if I can make it sound good on the Q's, it'll sound good on anything.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 15
I’d suggest the Sony MDR-7506.  I’m a film editor and I need a pair of headphones that sound excellent, are durable, portable and comfortable.  Probably the same criteria you’ll be looking for...

In your price range, the Sonys are the best closed-headphone option available.  Your best bet is to try on the Audio Technicas and the Sonys - compare fit and sound quality.  I’m very familiar with the ATH-M40x and 50x - they’re great - but I prefer the fit and sound of the Sonys, even though they cost less...  YMMV...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back