Best closed headphones for classical music?
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PaulyT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I'm considering (just considering for now, as I have no actual money to spend
wink.gif
) getting some closed 'phones to try. I currently have AKG K701, and an Audiotailor Jade tube amp. I'm very pleased with this combination. But I'm curious how the K701 will compare to a closed-type.

I listen mostly to classical music, with an occasional smattering of jazz and classic/folk rock. I don't care so much about noise isolation - I listen almost exclusively in a quiet home office. Most important to me are the size/depth and clarity of the soundstage, and neutrality of the frequency response (clear midrange, no pumped-up bass or highs). The K701 is great in the latter, and its soundstage is pretty good but I sorta feel it could be better at times.

Seems that ATH is a particularly good brand of closed 'phones, but there's a bewildering array of models out there... I have no clue how to make an informed judgement about what to try. Suggestions?

Other brands to consider?

If I were to get something, it would need to be in the $500 or less price range (including used).

Thanks for any discussion and advice!

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 22
I don't think there is a closed headphone that beats the K701 for soundstage. Maybe ultrasones if you like the weird s-logic thing.

In fact, I had to read your post 3 times because liking the neutrality of the K701 but thinking the soundstage could be wider seems completely backwards to me. From my experience with the K701, its far from a neutral headphone, but is virtually unbeatable in the soundstage department.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 22
Look at the Beyerdynamic DT48. The soundstage isn't huge, but the detail, precision and neutrality are stunning.

I mean, they completely demolish the K-701. No comparison whatsoever, they're in a different league.

You can find them new for $350, and I've found used ones under $100.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience with the K701, its far from a neutral headphone, but is virtually unbeatable in the soundstage department.

Thanks! That's very interesting to hear. Well, I don't have any other 'phones to compare these to right now. My impression above is based on comparison to my loudspeaker system. The soundstage of the K701 is wide, it's true, but the depth/height isn't quite the same; and this is with 2-channel stereo, not surround sound speakers. Maybe it's just a perceptive difference between speakers and headphones... but that's something I'd like to explore more, hence my desire to try other headphones.

Am I completely on the wrong track here? I sorta thought closed 'phones would give more of a soundstage depth, but maybe that's not generally the case? Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with open/closed per se?

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! That's very interesting to hear. Well, I don't have any other 'phones to compare these to right now. My impression above is based on comparison to my loudspeaker system. The soundstage of the K701 is wide, it's true, but the depth/height isn't quite the same; and this is with 2-channel stereo, not surround sound speakers. Maybe it's just a perceptive difference between speakers and headphones... but that's something I'd like to explore more, hence my desire to try other headphones.

Am I completely on the wrong track here? I sorta thought closed 'phones would give more of a soundstage depth, but maybe that's not generally the case? Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with open/closed per se?

as a wide over-sweeping generality, open headphones are going to have both more depth and width to the soundstage as compared to closed headphones. However, no headphone can even touch a mid-fi loudspeaker system when it comes to soundstage depth. A decent set of polk bookshelf speakers are going to demolish even headphones like the HD600, AKG K701 and any other bastion of soundstage depth in that department.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there is a closed headphone that beats the K701 for soundstage. Maybe ultrasones if you like the weird s-logic thing.

In fact, I had to read your post 3 times because liking the neutrality of the K701 but thinking the soundstage could be wider seems completely backwards to me. From my experience with the K701, its far from a neutral headphone, but is virtually unbeatable in the soundstage department.

The R10/Victor1000
L3000.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 22
Thanks guys. So, two votes for the DT48. There seem to be a number of different models of these... a seatrch at B&H (or other results on google) shows three different ones: E (25 ohms), E (200 ohms), and A.00. The A.00 looks very different in the pictures. What's up with that? Which is the "right" one here?

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. So, two votes for the DT48. There seem to be a number of different models of these... a seatrch at B&H (or other results on google) shows three different ones: E (25 ohms), E (200 ohms), and A.00. The A.00 looks very different in the pictures. What's up with that? Which is the "right" one here?

The a version is a audio metric headphone. Technical wise, I find them better then the 48e, but I'd recommend the 48e over it to most people. Smoother, more refind.. More musical.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 22
DX 1000 amazing for classical. PRO 900 is good to lots of emotion but the DX 1000 wins on sheer power. PRO 900 may also be a bit to close to the K701 but with more bass of course so the DX 1000 would maybe be a better companion. I used the PRO 900 and K701 before and despite liking the K701 for classical it didn´t get much head time
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The R10/Victor1000
L3000.gif

Add the W5000 in there for the amount of depth it has over the K501.
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 22
Well the JVC DX1000 and Denon D7000 are way outta my league. But the ATH W5000 is at least possible, seen some of those up for sale here for around my budget. Do you think the W5000 would be substantially better (for my goals) than the K701?

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 22
Based on my impression of both the K501 and W5000 with the Jade? Should be, but I've never heard the K701.

Keep in mind that there are 2 possibilities as to how the W5000 can sound since you can apply the Fitz mod to the W5000 which completely transforms the W5000 into a all-around beast.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 22
I think the Kenwood KH-K1000 is a great closed headphone for classical.
Very clean and open sound, good soundstage too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back