Best Closed Headphones for Bed
Mar 13, 2010 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

XLR1

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy some new headphones to wear in bed before I go to sleep. I could not find a recent thread that discussed headphones in bed. They need to be closed to not annoy my wife, although she is a heavy sleeper. At night I mostly listen to mellow rock or smooth jazz. I will probably use an ipod and my Travagans Red amp since it is so small.

I am thinking about the Denon D7000s. I am also considering Ultrasone Edition 8, although they cost much more than I want to spend, particularly after some recent headphone purchases. (Just trying to help the economy.) Would the Denon and Edition 8 scratch easily if I throw them on the bed side table as I tap out? Are the Ultrasone's worth the extra money? Any opinions appreciated?

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 15
D7000's will scratch for sure. If you are lying on a pillow, no full sized phone will work IMO (I do this too)- they push up your face. My Klipsch X5 (and X10 I had) work great lying down and sound very nice.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D7000's will scratch for sure. If you are lying on a pillow, no full sized phone will work IMO (I do this too)- they push up your face. My Klipsch X5 (and X10 I had) work great lying down and sound very nice.

That makes some sense. I figured I would have to lay on my back with full size headphones. Are the Klipsch hard to insert and remove when half asleep? I used some Sure in ear earphones to work out and they were a pain to use.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 15
JH13 PRO
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH13 PRO
wink.gif

Well, the reviews all seem to agree on their great sound. I have assumed I would have to lay on my back while I listen in bed. With the JH13s could I lay on my side, or would I still need to stay on my back? That would increase their appeal.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 15
Best IEMS you can afford would be your best choice. Full size headphones are a huge pain to try and listen to in bed I find, and even small portable headphones like Denon D1001s (what I use for portable) are a pain because you need to lay on your back and can't move around much.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 15
X5's go in and out nicely (insert joke here). The X10's are amazingly small and comfortable and are kind of ideal for in bed use because of that- 1/2 the size of the X5 which are already pretty small. I sold mine as I thought the bass was a bit strong on some music, though heavenly with female vocals (and I got a great deal on the similar sounding X5's).
No headphone or IEM will let you lie on your side unfortunately.
Best solution is to have wife sleep on the couch and you run the speakers....

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 15
I do a lot of my listening laying down on my bed, (ED8, RS1 DT880) and I can confirm that you are certainly restricted to your back with full size headphones. For the record the ED8s do leak a bit, but do not disturb my wife when she is sleeping. I agree though, that IEMs are the best for this activity and I use my Shure E2c for late night pre sleep purposes (except when I an prepared to listen on my back and then get up and put my ED8s away). I also have tried more portable size headphones (Senn 228s) and they are no more succesful than full size headphones, they still don't work resting on your side. With IEMs you can rest on your side without any issues. The Shures are small enough to not be an issue, with each cord passing behind the outer ear. I would recommend the OP get the best sounding IEMs you can afford that are comfortable to you. I think I need to upgrade my E2c to something better.

Edit: OP posted as I was typing. IEM= good decision.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 15
There is quite a bit of sound leakage out of the d7000 and there kinda of bulky to use in bed. Go with the edition 8. There flat and tight so they wont bother you when laying there and they isolate really well with a decent sound stage for there size.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 15
Really I would go with IEM's. I'd worry about falling asleep and ruining a full-size set of cans! Plus they really are the best as far as isolation and not having to worry about the wife.

If you are set on full size do not get the D7000's. I have them and really love them however they don't look like they would be the toughest set going. Both cups are attached to the headband using only one screw/rivet each. They look gorgeous but they also look fairly easily breakable. I also agree with tim3320070 in that I think the varnish would definitely scratch if not treated carefully.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 15
I've found that the Beyerdynamic DT250 is actually really good for the bed (lying on a pillow that fills around your head, and even lying on your right side) partly because of the comfortable velour pads that go around the ear, but most importantly because they are very, very low profile. The 80 ohm version is also easy to drive.

I had the cable go after 2-3 years of solid use, but I would consider them to have a very sturdy build quality, although at first glance they may seem a slight bit chintzy.

They aren't going to sound nearly as good as the D7000, but they aren't bad, and I think they would work well for this situation. The Denons are bit on the bulky side from the little time I've spent with that series. My problem with IEMs (beside the fact that I can't stand things in my ear), is that I always end up pulling them out by the cables, but most people I assume don't have that problem.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for the great feedback. For some reason, I have trouble adjusting to IEMs so I think the Edition 8s will service me best. Next time my wife hits me up for a few hundred dollars for some shopping (should be soon now with spring here), I will agree but tell her I am buying another set of cans in exchange. I find if I let her ask first it keeps harmony in the house and I do not have to hear about my extravagant purchase for the next several weeks.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 15
XLR1, I can support your decision. I got the Ed8 for the same reason you are getting them. I already had a D5000, but not only did they leak sound quite a bit, but the fit was loose and they were bulky. Lying on a pillow with them on just wasn't cutting it. The Ed8's have worked out great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back