Best closed headphones ~300
Feb 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #16 of 20
If I wanted to buy over-ear headphones for $300 or less, I’dstillget the PSB M4U 1. I have decided this after researching every new pair of headphones in this price range. Features of this product are:
*.Room FeelTM acoustic technology
*.Two tangle-free cords
*.Comfort Fit Gyro-suspended, self-adjusting replaceable ear pads
*.Unique dual input connection (left or right)
*.Convenient remote and stereo monitor controls with mic for iPhone and BlackBerry

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #17 of 20
I thought I had the ideal headphone for you, till I read you like (somewhat) enhanced bass. The AKG K551 has a great soundstage for closed headphones (similar to open headphones), is very easy to drive, is made to be somewhat portable (still huge), is very durable (for more durability you could get the K550 with the thicker 3m cable), incredibly comfortable, has a very accurate bass, but it's a very neutral sounding headphone. The bass is more present than with most AKG's and I'd call it neutral, but it's not punchy.
Not all is lost though, because if you get yourself a Fiio E12 and use it with bass boost (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/ofey_s/FiiO/SpectrumE12.png) you'll get the punchy sound you want. The combination might be a little bit over $300, but I think it's what you're looking for.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #18 of 20
Mmm strange you say the bass is lacking on the HP150. They have a very physical bass to them, especially in the sub-bass area. It's a shame your HP150's broke, mine also did break around the same area. If Soundmagic fixes the build quality, and prices the cans 50$ more then i'd buy another pair. However, the AKG is definitely more clinical than the HP150's. For the best imaging and detailed signature I highly recommend the DT770 32ohm, though they look even funkier than the HP150's in public.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #19 of 20
I am very interested in this thread and the potential suggestions. Looking for something to use at work.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #20 of 20
the best overall sub-300 closed cans I've found are the sennheiser hd449s. they are relatively sensitive, fairly neutral with decent bass linearity, open clear trebles, none of the "cupped" sound quality so common with closed cans. you will need an accessory amp with these when using mp3 players as they tend to be too flea-powered with just about any set of cans IMHO. but any decent puter sound card can drive these cans adequately. they are lightweight and comfortable enough for extended wear, though ear sweat issues may make some users switch out the earpieces for the cloth ones from the hd439.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back