Best closed headphone (no price limit) ?
Apr 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 35
I think a fully-closed Darth or a markl modded D5000 would suit your needs just fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #17 of 35
Pharmrodent: As for IEMs: I currently have a pair of ER6i, and I must say that I don't find them comfortable and can't use them for long. So I would not be tempted to buy another more expansive pair... I love the feel of a fullsize circumaural however.

I thought about the idea of closed Darths, probably deep cut if I can grab a pair. I was hoping that my V3-OC would isolate enough with the covers, but it does not. I like their sound however (when well amplified), so I would not hesitate to grab a pair of closed provided they provide enough isolation.

The second option I had in mind was the D5000, based on the rave review from HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears (Weird: they have removed it from their site 2 days ago...???). Anyone can tell me if it isolates enough from office noise ?

In the case that the markl modded version, which markl states provides "slightly better isolation", can anyone attest of whether is stock or modded version provides enough isolation in a (noisy) office environment (like engineers arguing :) ) ?

Cheers :wink: Falcon_Wizard

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if they were the bass-heavy R10... then it could be very different. I don't own them and didn't manage to listen them yet, but it could be as close to the "perfect set" as dynamic cans can get. Of course it's all a matter of personal taste and ancillaries too.
Rgrds

Actually it's not that very different. My L3000s are definitely better for rock than my "bass heavy" 1xxx SN R10. Actually they are better at it than anything else. The only one coming close would be of PS-1 if you can't stand "closed" sound and you prefer a more open, airier one. But we are talking about closed cans here.

The L3000 is a great achievement. It has its flaws but I never thought I could get that bass quality from a pair of headphones. It's speaker-like. Deep, rich, textured, powerful but perfectly blended with the rest of the spectrum, which is when some other "basshead phones" (like the PS-1) lose a bit of its charm as bass can be a bit too prominent sometimes (this can be somewhat mitigated with the right gear, though).

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it's not that very different. My L3000s are definitely better for rock than my "bass heavy" 1xxx SN R10. Actually they are better at it than anything else. The only one coming close would be of PS-1 if you can't stand "closed" sound and you prefer a more open, airier one. But we are talking about closed cans here.

The L3000 is a great achievement. It has its flaws but I never thought I could get that bass quality from a pair of headphones. It's speaker-like. Deep, rich, textured, powerful but perfectly blended with the rest of the spectrum, which is when some other "basshead phones" (like the PS-1) lose a bit of its charm as bass can be a bit too prominent sometimes (this can be somewhat mitigated with the right gear, though).

Thanks for the comments. I'm considering to get some bass-heavy R10, so I'll know. I suppose you've compared the heavies to the lites.
OTOH the L3000 must have something beyond their "just sound" performance that become the favourites of many members. Have you listened the DX1000? These have an awesome bass too, but excessively prominent for my taste, though you can get used to it very easy and quickly.

Rgrds

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 35
Don't get me wrong. I think the R10 ("bassier" or not) is a great can. To be honest I'm not sure about the whole two R10s thing. I heard a couple of R10s apart from mine (something around 3xx and 8xx, being mine 1xxx) and I don't recall a huge difference (I didn't try them all at the same time, though).

I really don't want to sound fan-boy for any can and I'm the first one to acknowledge the flaws the L3000 has, but still it has a lot of virtues and a sonic signature very speaker-like on the frequency spectrum that I wouldn't expect from a headphone (I'm not talking about soundstage or airy presentation that you will get from speakers and that are not the strong point of these cans. In that sense the closer to a speaker would probably be the K1000).

I didn't hear the DX1000 but I think I know what you mean. It's the same impression you get from other bass-heavy cans. The L3000 is very different in that regard. What makes it so special is how the bass blends with the rest of the frequency spectrum. On other cans the bass somehow masks the rest of the spectrum and makes the whole sound a bit too much "bassy". On the L3000 that deep and rich bass is just icing the sound cake without feeling that it is messing with timbre or tonal accuracy (it might be a bit odd for closeness or whatever, but not because of the bass).

Regarding bass, some of the "bassiest" cans can sound a bit like extreme car audio but the L3000 sounds like a finely tuned sub on a great speaker setup.

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 35
Hi, thanks for the reply.
For what I've been able to know asking here and there, the R10s being bass heavy or lite is more a matter of the drivers it mounts, which can be differentiated for a 2 or a 3 in the engrabbed number in the driver's back, than for the serial number. So you need to listen to them (or disassambling them which is not that adviceable) to know which "version" they are. It could be well possible that you tried all them of the same type.
You can have bass heavies as old as in the 2xx and bass lights well into the 14xx. Some mates have both and say they're clearly different, like different cans, being the heavies easier to drive than the lights. Something I'd like to try with my own ears anyway hehehe.

I think I get the point regarding the L3000. I'm not a basshead, but when low frequencies are well done, I don't mind there's some excess there if it doesn't mask the rest of frequencies. That's why I can enjoy the DX1000, they deliver tons of very good bass, you know it's excessive, but it doesn't cover other things, though the overall sound is warm, that's sure. Probably the L3000 are more balanced and doesn't fall as much into the "warm" camp.

What I don't completely understand is the "speaker-like" coloration. Not sure if you're speaking of the effect of the interaction of the speaker into the room and its boundaries, which always ads inconsistencies in the bass due to modes and cancellations, or more the kind of "thumpy" bass you get from most bass-reflex speakers. If it were referred to other aspects of sound, I'd be thankful if you could elaborate it.

Rgrds

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I don't completely understand is the "speaker-like" coloration. Not sure if you're speaking of the effect of the interaction of the speaker into the room and its boundaries, which always ads inconsistencies in the bass due to modes and cancellations, or more the kind of "thumpy" bass you get from most bass-reflex speakers. If it were referred to other aspects of sound, I'd be thankful if you could elaborate it.

Rgrds

Definitely. I mean that you get a bass so deep and well integrated with the rest of the spectrum that you would think you are listening to a speaker setup with good sized drivers.

I was talking about how the great bass blends with mids and highs. With headphones most of the time you either get a somewhat light bass (compared with good speakers) or a bad-boomy bad-car-audio bass. The L3000 are the closest thing to a good speaker bass-wise.

Unfortunately, perhaps even without knowing it, you raised one of the problems of the L3000 while talking about the sound interaction with the room, as the L3000 has a somewhat closed sound, especially with the wrong amp/music/setup. It's Ok with some music but kind of kills other ones. Like Organ music where "airiness" is required. It is funny, the headphone with best bass doesn't quite work with organ music because of that. How ironic...

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #24 of 35
Yes that is also exactly my finding with the L3000, it does not do organ very well, the GS-1000 almost kills it on that as it does with a lot of large scale classical choral (and orchestral) works.

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, let's change the rules a little.

What if we were to limit the conversation to only unmodded closed headphones currently in production?

Which would be the best, then?

Edition 9s and DX1000s, step to the front, please...

I think both the Ed 9s and DX1000s show a clean pair of heels to the Denons (though I've not heard the latter phones modded) and I imagine that the W5000s would make a good showing as well. Ed 9s for resolution, dynamics, bass detail and drive, incredible PRAT. DX1000s for giving you most of the music in a manner so totally easy and unforced as to remind me of great speaker designs like the big Spendors, Magnepans, etc.

Both are very special cans, quirky but with real personality, and capable of being your last great pair, should your wallet land in a safe deposit box...

best,

o

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #27 of 35
I owned one of the very last R10's built, and still have the 3k's. The R10 was one of the bassy one's, and to my mind that just made the bass adequate. Not a rock headphone.
The L3000's have a heavy low-end that can be too much for some types of music, but for rock it is without compare. The two-layer shell (cherry & leather), does a good job of cutting down on distractions, so that is also a consideration.

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 35
The problem with most "closed" headphones is that most really don't prevent leakage in or out. If the HFI-780 is a preview of the edition 9, then I believe that they may be up there in regards to closed cans.

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Stax 4070 mention? I'd best throw it out there then.

They would be my obvious suggestion, if not...
Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon_wizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They would be driven by a Meier Opera. Main music choices are Rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back