Best closed full sized headphone for around $150-300
Dec 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Bocefuss4500

New Head-Fier
Hello long time lurker first time poster .. i have been driving myself crazy last 2 months trying to figure out what headphones to buy read site and others still would like some opinions from your guys ... budget is around $150 to $300 don't want to go higher have a decent portable amp will be using for bus rides to school and at school in lounge between classes I..already have a set of sennheiser hd 650 for at home (wish they made a closed version of them ) i like sennheiser and and had quite a few pair been really looking at beyerdynamic dt 770 but don't know of other good over ear full sized headphones closed good in this price range ??? suggestions deeply appreciated

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 18
What are your music preferences? Do you want a neutral sound or do you like a bassy/mid-forward/tebly sound sig?

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
I have a very eclectic music collection and taste so would air on more neutral with decent bass

SRH840.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 18
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) closed and easy to drive.
Use the bountii website to find the best price.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 18
Are you all listening to the OP? He said NEUTRAL. Every single one of the last four cans mentioned are far from neutral. Just because the OP said decent bass doesn't mean you ignore their previous statement and go for all the bassy recommendations. We're looking for neutral here, so ignore the M50, CAL!, and 780 definitely.

Please, read what the OP asks.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 18
Not sure if this is right or not, but wouldn't it be near impossible to find a truly neutral sounding closed headphone because the closedness of a closed headphone contains all of the "vibrations" or whatever which adds coloration to the sound? Maybe I'm just stupid, what do I know. Just a thought though.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 18
sennheiser hd 25-1-ii in my opinion are very good closed portable cans and you may appreciate them as you enjoy your hd650, although there not the same id say they follow the sennheiser sound signature. If you want to try something a little different you could try beyerdynamic dt1350

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
Are you all listening to the OP? He said NEUTRAL. Every single one of the last four cans mentioned are far from neutral. Just because the OP said decent bass doesn't mean you ignore their previous statement and go for all the bassy recommendations. We're looking for neutral here, so ignore the M50, CAL!, and 780 definitely.

Please, read what the OP asks.

The new white-boxed ATH-M50s are widely known to be more neutral. I'm by no means an expert, but why negate everyone else's suggestions? If I were OP I'd want multiple suggestions, not just one dominating one.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 18
I say go for the m50 they are quite neutral.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 18
I have over 1,000 hours on my white-box M50s, and while they are more neutral than the previous version the frequency split is still V-shaped. I'd recommend the Fischer Audio FA-003 for something neutral.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 18
did not mean for my post to make anyone angry i am very thankful for all your suggestions .. i cant do sennheiser hd-25 too small have weird tender ears any headphones that sit directly on ear hurt quite a bit after 20 to 30 minutes have to go over and have a huge melon milkdud of a head as well ... don't know why i did not consider shure before will have to look at them had a set of some of there iem's that were not too bad .... but other headphones mentioned have me thinking as well ...thank you all for your suggestions if you have any others please keep them coming 

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 18
I'm sorry about two posts of mine ago, where I came off as angry. I was attempting at the time to Rockbox my Sansa Clip V1 with out-of-date firmware and Linux causing problems for me. All the suggestions are valid, but I personally think that the FA-003 would fit the OP's preferences better.

I blame Rockbox, but I apologize again for coming off as angry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back