Apr 21, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviations /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'm looking for:

Not too big - gonna be used for home and university
Closed - won't leak sound at library/lab
Comfy - wearing for 2+ hours at a time
Loud - don't have an amp

That's pretty much it. I listen to a lot of hiphop and I'm wondering whats the best cans for my price range?

I currently have D1001 but to be honest, I think it leaks quite a bit of sound for closed phones. It does good job blocking the sound from outside though.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 31
i got mine from ecost.com but i think they are refurbished? its like 70+ whatever shipping is

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have D1001 but to be honest, I think it leaks quite a bit of sound for closed phones. It does good job blocking the sound from outside though.

I completely disagree with this. If in a library/lab, you could turn the Denon's to about 30% on an iPod before any sound leaks. Also, they let in sound. If someone is talking to you at a normal volume and you have your music playing at a reasonable level, you can hear them word for word. I like this though because I would be in class and someone would talk to me and I couldn't hear them before.

As for the need of a FiiO E5, I didn't notice too much of a difference when I plugged mine in. The little extra power helps a bit, but not too much. If you have $20 sitting around and have nothing better to spend it on, I guess pick it up.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #21 of 31
Yea, they arent the most "sealed" closed phones. Noise in and out. Im in the same boat, wanting new, but i want to replace my Denons. Hey you can buy mine ! Wait for the intro Shure SRH series headphone this summer. $50 and should cover all of your bases as far as requirements. And they look pretty sexy if i might say so myself. Check out the link freakydrew posted. I put a few pics up in that thread of the first ones, looks good. Wait till the summer.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

disagree, complete opposite. Doesn't do all that well as far as isolating sound, I can still hear people talking around me at about 65% sound on ipod. But if your head isn't weirdly shaped doesn't leak that much compare to other closed.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #23 of 31
I've got the D1000s (identical to the 1001s). They isolate some, but not a lot. If somebody is talking near you, it might be muffled a bit, but you'll certainly hear it.

I find they do a pretty good job with sound leakage, however. If someone is right next to you, they'll probably hear a little bit, but not enough to be annoying. You have to really crank up the volume before leaking is a problem.

For me, it's the perfect combination. At work, I need to hear somebody calling my name, but I don't want co-workers to hear my tunes. They isolate just enough to keep external noises from being distracting.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #24 of 31
I don't need complete isolation. I can deal with background noise, but the less the better
bigsmile_face.gif

Compared to the D1001s, do the ATH-M50s isolate more noise? How big is the M50 compared to the D1001? They are the same price on eBay and they also have fantastic reviews.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #26 of 31
In case anyones interested I ended going with the ATH-M50s. They supposedly offer better isolation and they also fold so you can just throw them in your backpack or bag. Tried them on in store and they were very comfy. Hopefully I made the right choice haha.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

You have it backwards.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviations /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at the D1001s but i read this on headphone.com

should i worry about that or am i good? i don't mind picking up a FiiO if i have to.

Pick up the Fiio E5 ...or step up to the Denon 2000. I also have recently been VERY impressed with Ultrasones (see my sig) - comfortable closed cans with amazing SQ and soundstage.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, he bought M50 already. Tell us how it went. dev.

yea waiting for them to come in. should be here by next week, then gonna burn them in for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back