Apr 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

deviations

New Head-Fier
What I'm looking for:

Not too big - gonna be used for home and university
Closed - won't leak sound at library/lab
Comfy - wearing for 2+ hours at a time
Loud - don't have an amp

That's pretty much it. I listen to a lot of hiphop and I'm wondering whats the best cans for my price range?

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 31
Denon D1001. Fit all your criteria and they sound good doing it.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D1001. Fit all your criteria and they sound good doing it.

X2. Possibly the ES7 as well. But I liked the D1001 better.

Rex, back to recommending D1001's because JVC seems to have quietly discontinued the HAR-X700? I kind of regret not buying a pair of these back when they were readily available for $35.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 31
I was looking at the D1001s but i read this on headphone.com

Quote:

depending on your audio source, there's a chance the D-1001 may not be revealing its surprising sonic potential especially with mobile audio devices like Mp3 players or iPods.

should i worry about that or am i good? i don't mind picking up a FiiO if i have to.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 31
I am in the same boat, I have been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT440's, or some used DT770's. I didn't see them mentioned in here so I thought I would throw them on and let the more informed members comment on those options.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviations /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at the D1001s but i read this on headphone.com

should i worry about that or am i good? i don't mind picking up a FiiO if i have to.

I think you're good. I love headroom and all, but at times you have to remember their principle business is selling their headphone amps. There isn't a headphone out there that they won't recommend an amp for. Does the D1001 benefit from a dedicated amp? Sure. Does it benefit from an E5? Yeah. Is it a big deal at all? No, by no means. To be completely honest, I rarely use the E5 with it, because the benefit of the ease of just plugging it into my iPod is in almost all cases outweighs the very negligible benefit of the E5.

So, in sum, the D1001 benefits from an amp, sure. However, I wouldn't let an amp get in the way of it either. It's one of the better unamped headphones out there in this price range.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLacktocomm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the same boat, I have been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT440's, or some used DT770's. I didn't see them mentioned in here so I thought I would throw them on and let the more informed members comment on those options.

Not all that familiar with DT440's, but DT770's pretty much need an amp to get any kind of quality at all out of them.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all that familiar with DT440's, but DT770's pretty much need an amp to get any kind of quality at all out of them.

So would a Fiio amp work?

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLacktocomm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would a Fiio amp work?

I guess it would work in that it would get sound to come out at decent levels from a DT770, but I would say that your money is probably spent better elsewhere if you're powering DT770's with an E5. I am referring to the 80 ohm version by the way. I think there is a 32 ohm version of the DT770, but I don't really know much of anything about that one. Beyerdynamic can be so confusing because it has like 15 different headphone models and each model has about 6 different variations and the variations within model numbers can be larger than the variations between different models.

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 31
for the OP, i would definitely get the denon d1001

they fit all your requirements and they dont need an amp to be driven unless u really want an amp..i got mine a couple weeks ago for like 70-80 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back