Best closed circumaural for <$200
Mar 9, 2006 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

rib

New Head-Fier
hi
i wanted to bring back this topic as im still looking for some headphones on the go.
maybe there are some new hps matching my criteria which i changed a bit now:
the two most important factors for me are now comfort and noise isolation.
followed by good ampless sound.
im willing to pay up to $300.
thanks for helping

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedHeadphones
I made a thread 2 days ago about the best headphones for under $200. The best to me looks like the Audio Technica ATH-A900. Its supposed to be extremely comfortable and runs perfectly without an amp. I'll be ordering one myself in a few days. http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html

I have never heard the A900, but there isn't to much else out there in that price range that is closed unless you want a more portable phone like the new AKG 81. I think you will get a lot of recs for the a900

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 34
In short, it doesn't exist.

A-T A900: little isolation, not too solid
AKG K271: no good without amp
Senn HD25-1: uncomfortable (?), lacking in SQ
Beyer DT250-250: no good without amp (?)
Beyer DT250-80: lacking in SQ
Beyer DT660: not much isolation, uncomfortable
Ultrasone: ?

Also, I should mention that no closed phone under $200 even remotely approaches the SQ of the SA5000, so don't expect too much.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 34
Umm it defianately exists. I know people who have it and theres even a review for it on this site. Also click on that link on my first post and you can buy it. If you want even more proof do a search for it and find all the reviews that come up.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Umm it defianately exists. I know people who have it and theres even a review for it on this site. Also click on that link on my first post and you can buy it. If you want even more proof do a search for it and find all the reviews that come up.

Read my post again. Think about who I was answering to.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 34
rolleyes.gif

A headphone that matches rib's specifications.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 34
Yea the A900 matches his decription. They are solid, closed circumaural, they dont increase in performace much at all with an amp, they are some of the most comfortable headphones made, they're good in places with background noises, they cost less then $200, and oh yea they sound excelent.

P.S. hey 003 I know you from tech-forums, I'm NeedAcpu.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 34
I have both Ultrasone HFI-650 and A900 and SQ wise A900 superior to HFI. HFI are better from portability perspective and don't look so ridiculous on the head as A900, perfect for use at work or public places.
And they sound amazingly good for such a small cans. I had DT250-80 too, and Ultrasones beat them.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 34
another vote for a900's

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 34
I just realized.....well you could always get the triports....

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedHeadphones
Yea the A900 matches his decription. They are solid, closed circumaural, they dont increase in performace much at all with an amp, they are some of the most comfortable headphones made, they're good in places with background noises, they cost less then $200, and oh yea they sound excelent.

P.S. hey 003 I know you from tech-forums, I'm NeedAcpu.

Hmm, I've always thought they were a bit too forward sounding and lacking in the soundstage and bass departments, plus you can't exactly wear these out and about which is what he said he wanted to do with them. I agree with you that they are probably the best closed cans for under $200 but they will not be able to match the SA5000 in terms of sound quality, detail, and soundstage. The only closed can I know of that is sort of within his grasp and sounds ridiculously good are the CD3000s but those can't really be worn outside either, idk I tried looking for a closed can like this last month but I've given up hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back