Best Closed Cans ~$300
Mar 20, 2017 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Spaceman24

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade my full size cans (focused on iems for a while) and of course I'd like some advice from my fellow Head-Fiers. I currently have the Beyerdynamic COPs (which have been great) but I think it's time for a step up and something with more forward/less recessed mids.

Preferences: I mainly listen to rap at the moment (or "ape music" for those with a plug in the wrong jack), though I'm also into blues-rock, Jimi Hendrix, reggae occasionally, edm, 80's hair metal (ikr), and a smattering of other types of rock and random genres. I think my ideal sound would be fairly balanced, maybe slightly mid-forward. However, I'm a sucker for sub-bass (subbasshead?) so the cans need great extension, impact, and texture without overpowering the other ranges. Should perform well with male vocals and have a good "crunch"/texture to guitars as well. Good isolation is essential, mostly leak-wise. Should be able to listen at regular volume in quiet room without anyone else noticing. Will also use these for gaming, so a good soundstage/placement is a high priority (as far as closed back goes)

Source: Well this is an area I'm not sure about. Ideally the cans would be able to be driven well straight out of my iPhone 7+, but I don't know if any higher-end cans would be worth it without amping (or even those new inline dac/amps). Opinions welcome!

Cans I'm considering: B&W P7 Wireless, Meze 99 Classics, Shure SRH1540 (used), Sony MDRZ7(used/sale), PSB M4U 1 or 2 (though ugly af), SoundMagic HP150

Nixed considerations (from reviews):
THX00 - apparently very poor isolation, + price, fixed cables, but great bass
EM-U Teak - same reasons as THX00
Oppo PM3 - multiple reviews said sound was "boring", but still have great sound (?)
AKG K553 - fixed cable, potentially lacking bass

The big question is how much I need to spend to get a noticeable upgrade from my COPs. With the rave reviews of the PSB M4U, it's hard to tell whether a more expensive can with medium reviews (SRH1540) compares with cheaper 'phones with excellent reviews. Other recommendations for cans not listed here are welcome, but I think these are my best shot.

EDIT 1: Added Bowers & Wikins P7 Wireless to considerations since they can be had for a great price and the option for wired connectivity is awesome (can use wireless with phone and wire with PS4). Not sure if too bassy/v shape though. Also added Sony MDR-Z7 because they sounded awesome at a Best Buy a while ago, but they were hooked up to a big amp and dap so I don't know if iPhone can produce similar sound (plus they have mixed reviews).

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 20
I've heard many closed headphones...the three that impressed me the most were the
Audio Technica MSR7 (which I couldn't wear as they were too tight for me); the
discontinued (as far as I know) Sony MDR Z1000, and the Shure 1540.

During my search for a satisfactory closed headphone, I didn't want to spend
what Shure dealers were asking for the 1540's, but after a great deal of listening
and comparing, it became increasingly obvious to me that the 1540's were the best
sounding (and most comfortable) closed headphones unless and until I wanted to
jump up another few hundred dollars - which I did not want to do.  And I like the
1540's.  Bought them about a year ago and never regretted the purchase.

They are my 'go to' closed headphones, but I don't use them outside.  A little
too pricey in case it starts to rain or something - outside I use my Senn Amperiors
or Senn HD25 i II.

Feel free to PM if you'd like a list of the many closed headphones I've owned and/or
auditioned.

Cheers,

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 20
The Opp PM-3 has a very neutral presentation which isn't necessarily boring unless you wanted a bass heavy sound. Otherwise, the PM-3 are very good closed headphones.
 Inner Fidelity's Wall of Fame review:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/oppo-pm-3-competent-comfortable-mobile-headphone#Ylmzz6c61L3be7wv.97

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 20
I've heard many closed headphones...the three that impressed me the most were the
Audio Technica MSR7 (which I couldn't wear as they were too tight for me); the
discontinued (as far as I know) Sony MDR Z1000, and the Shure 1540.

During my search for a satisfactory closed headphone, I didn't want to spend
what Shure dealers were asking for the 1540's, but after a great deal of listening
and comparing, it became increasingly obvious to me that the 1540's were the best
sounding (and most comfortable) closed headphones unless and until I wanted to
jump up another few hundred dollars - which I did not want to do. And I like the
1540's. Bought them about a year ago and never regretted the purchase.

They are my 'go to' closed headphones, but I don't use them outside. A little
too pricey in case it starts to rain or something - outside I use my Senn Amperiors
or Senn HD25 i II.

Feel free to PM if you'd like a list of the many closed headphones I've owned and/or
auditioned.

Cheers,

SENNHEISER PXC-550.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 20
Meze 99 classics or Neo.
To ME, can’t be beat for the money. Read reviews, look at specs, etc and surely you’ll be won over. They won a ton of awards too.

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 20
I think you should add the Focal Listen to your list unless wireless is a must. I own them and Sony Z7 And if you like the z7 I think you will like the listen. I owned the Z7 first but needed a can I was willing to take out of the house. The Focal sounds so good out of an iPod i don’t amp it even though I could. I even preferred the Listen over $1000 Elear. Get some where to listen before if you can.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions! I’d like to update that I ended up picking up a used pair of awesome Astell & Kern/Beyerdynamic T5P. While it leaks more than is ideal, it is truly a world-class pair imo and works great even out of an iPhone.

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 20
The PM3 do sound very good, but you must be willing to accept a smaller sound stage, and a neutral bass response. They are highly detailed. The P7 wireless sound really good even when wireless. They do have exaggerated bass, but very tastefully done. The treble is very very nicely extended with no sibilance, and they have a nice medium sized soundstage that is larger than PM3. The P7 are my favorite for on the go movie watching, when I can’t use my DT770 Pro 80. The Mezze classic are the hardest for me to put into words. They have a very fast attack, and also lean towards the bass side of things. Not sure how to explain, but slower bass and faster mids? I don’t recall anything special about the treble, I think it was fine no real complaints.

My two cents.

May 1, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 20
Hi do you have any updates from this thread? However, the ones that impressed me with the reviews are the Msr7 (but maybe they don't have the punch I'm looking for and maybe they have a bit high, 180 euros) the srh1540 (but I think they are too natural and not very engaging, they also need a dac amplifier that I don't currently have, 350) and the beyerdynamic 177x which perhaps has everything I'm looking for (I think it also needs a dac amplifier), obviously I rely on discussions and reviews ... I tried the meze99 classics , and the soundstage and the bass impressed me, although even if I tried them for only 4 days and I returned them because I had found a cheaper used meze price to buy them back, but honestly I didn't buy them again because the bass is so powerful it's funny that it's above all the other frequencies, the frequencies don't mix are distinct, but I couldn't help but focus only on the bass, so the base of the songs was much more important clear of the voice and the rest. ..But I can never forget that listening to chan chan - buena vista social club with meze was an incredible emotion .. So I am looking for a headphones with a good soundstage, controlled bass and middle (voices and acoustic guitar as clean as possible) and highs not fatiguing, perhaps the Msr7 are right for me, but perhaps from what I have read there is no soundstage and a little heat, what do you recommend me?

May 1, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 20
I have the PSB M4U 1 that I use on my girlfriend´s house in order to not be disturbed by the noise she makes turning book's pages! :darthsmile:

Altought a bit hot on the skin, I find the PSB confortable even for longer periods, with a good soundstage for a closed cans, plenty of dynamics and detail.

The cable can go either left or right, and there's also a cable with mic, so pretty pratical.

Hope it helps.

May 2, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 20
Imo the Focal Listen Pro wins this one pretty easily, but its not like I have all of the competition. If its MSR7 vs 99cvs Listen Pro, strictly for sound quality it's Listen Pro>MSR7>99c, but for whole package I think I prefer the 99c over the MSR7 since it's more comfy, wood, has a nice case.

Just get the listen pro and call it a day

May 2, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 20
You just described the Meze 99s in your preferences - no joke. The Noir at 200 dollars is a steal, plus it comes with the smaller pads, which really improves the sound imo. These are my go to closed backs for hair metal. The mids are fantastic. Guitars and male vocals are superb.

May 2, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 20
You just described the Meze 99s in your preferences - no joke. The Noir at 200 dollars is a steal, plus it comes with the smaller pads, which really improves the sound imo. These are my go to closed backs for hair metal. The mids are fantastic. Guitars and male vocals are superb.
Maybe I did not explain myself well, from the translation it was not understood, but as much as I loved the bass of the meze, I found them a little too present, they are so powerful and funny that I focus only on the bass, in certain songs the whole the rest is in the background compared to the bass, as I said before I am not saying that the mids or the highs are not good and clean, but I found the bass with a higher volume than the rest, initially I liked it but already I don't have any pieces really liked ... I tried the meze for 4 days so it could be that I would get used to it, or it could be that the bass would tire me

May 2, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 20
Maybe I did not explain myself well, from the translation it was not understood, but as much as I loved the bass of the meze, I found them a little too present, they are so powerful and funny that I focus only on the bass, in certain songs the whole the rest is in the background compared to the bass, as I said before I am not saying that the mids or the highs are not good and clean, but I found the bass with a higher volume than the rest, initially I liked it but already I don't have any pieces really liked ... I tried the meze for 4 days so it could be that I would get used to it, or it could be that the bass would tire me
That's why you switch to the small pads. Lowering the mid bass using equalization also helps. If it's still too much bass, then you don't want a slightly elevated low end - you need something more neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back