Best Closed Can under $800
May 1, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should mention that W5000 definitely has less bass (in quantity) than Denons and DT770s. So give them a listen at a local meet

Which one has the best bass extension? High quantity or high quality mid bass - neither guarantees deep bass.

May 1, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one has the best bass extension? High quantity or high quality mid bass - neither guarantees deep bass.

W5000 has the extension, just not much strength. If you want punch, markl'd D5000 might be a better ticket (supposedly also has great extension), but that would demand some patience until MD5000 pops up at meets for a larger crowd to listen to and provide more solid opinions.

May 1, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #33 of 43
I agree with the W5000. I consider it the best <$800 closed headphone if you want to max out that budget as much as possible. Very precise, open soundstage and the overall presentation is as if there are "curves" to the sound. Somewhat difficult to describe, you need to audition it, and it's amp-picky too which makes it that much more complicated. There are several amp combos that are recommended in the Amps forum though, two of the most notable being the Audio-Technica HA5000 and Yamamoto HA-02.

May 2, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should mention that W5000 definitely has less bass (in quantity) than Denons and DT770s. So give them a listen at a local meet

whoa that cancels them out right there. if i'm giving up my DT770s then i want a closed can with bass cuz that is what i like most about them.

so no w5000 for me.

its either Darth Beyers or D5000. which one guys?

May 2, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #36 of 43
If you're going used and it's good clean bass you're after, then a used set of the DX1000s should be on your list. Having (at last) now heard and very much enjoying the W500s, I've come to appreciate the Victors even more. Excellent bass, clean (if slightly distant) mids and a wonderful airy treble allied to a deep, smooth and quick bass. I wish the damn wooden cups didn't mark up as easy as butter, but they're tremendous fun to listen to and ought to do your basshead trax proud.

o

May 2, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going used and it's good clean bass you're after, then a used set of the DX1000s should be on your list. Having (at last) now heard and very much enjoying the W500s, I've come to appreciate the Victors even more. Excellent bass, clean (if slightly distant) mids and a wonderful airy treble allied to a deep, smooth and quick bass. I wish the damn wooden cups didn't mark up as easy as butter, but they're tremendous fun to listen to and ought to do your basshead trax proud.

o

the dx1000 are too expensive.

also i love the bass of my dt770s and i like the forward upfront sound of my hd600. i want a closed can that has a merger of the two.

i have heard that the darth beyers fix this promblem but if you say the d5000 are better then i will go for that i guess.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #38 of 43
Hi,

I'd like to revive this thread because there should be new worthly entries since 2008. So, what's your sub 800 favorite pair?
I need one and am hesitating between beyer t70 and sony z1000. I couldn't try the Beyer's, and found the Sony's very nice. Balanced,  detailed,  extended, good 3d sound and quite punchy. My reference sound so far is the T1 with its very smooth sound, and detailed but not harsh treble. Haven't heard the T70, I'm asking for some advice.

Apart from these 2, I tried the ATH W1000x but the fit wasn't good, and I found the treble to have lot of sibilance. But maybe the sound was too loud in the store, as I read it was better at low volume.

What else in this price range?

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #39 of 43
My favourite closed headphone of all time is the Audio Technica A2000X. Its like a more refined W5000 with balanced sound. Huge soundstage and detail for a closed phone.

I had the chance to listen to the T70 and T70p at the Hong Kong headphone show before it was out. My impression of it is a poorly done T1/T5p, the difference is too big for me to consider them. If you had a listen to the Z1000 and liked them, I don't think the T70/T70p does anything better than the Z1000 anyway.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #40 of 43
Thanks for the T70 feedback. It's quite a shame they can't do something awesome in the full-size closed headphones category with their Tesla technology. I read very contrasted reviews about the T70/T70p/T5p cans.

About the A2000X, I'm worried about the fit, they seem to have the exact same system than the W1000X which didn't work that well with me. I'd be worried about bending the band. Also, they seem to be very hard to find, especially here in France.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #41 of 43
The A2000X fits far better than the W5000 and a notch better than the W1000X. It is exceptionally lightweight, therefore you don't really have to rely on the wings to lift them as much as the heavier woodies.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #42 of 43
Even the W1000X is light, my problem was that as the drivers can't rotate on an horizontal axis, the top of the pads were not touching my head/ears, so it was kind of weird. I need closed cans for the office, and can't disturb others with my music, so I was worrying about this.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #43 of 43
years later and I still have not decided on an upgraded closed can. i have upgraded my amp and currently am testing a ibasso D4 which makes me realize I really need a dedicated home DAC. Schiit Bifrost here I come. but this still leaves my closed can area unfulfilled. I don't even listen to my dt770 anymore. the hd600 are just a superior can, I also love the sound of the ie8 amped. So any new additions to this thread. Keep in mind I mostly listen to electronica, dubstep, trance, hip hop, some rock. what closed can would be best for these genres? I really want the d7000 but they are right at the $800 mark and I'd rather spend less because I really want a DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back