Best closed can for classical (under $400)?
Jan 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #46 of 63

Quote:
Don't even try.  There's more than one or two people who've commented on the unnatural sound and on the comfort of the SRH940.

After really enjoying the SRH840 (comfort and sound) I found the 940's to be pretty much a let-down.  Good with jazz, female vocals etc - but too narrow in the genres that they did excel with.

If you are looking for a good and comfortable closed can for classical - try the FA-003 or the HM5 (HM5 is new - an FA-003 clone).  Very balanced can - not a bad sound stage for a closed headphone.  I enjoy them - particularly with violin and piano concertos. 

Here's a idea maybe he should try the 940''s.They are comfortable, detailed with great mids and tight bass.really cant go wrong! lol just poking fun.to each his/her own I enjoy them myself and I have eclectic tastes from beatles to radiohead to gershwin.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #47 of 63
I have heard about the comfort issue on the 940 with a tip that can help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYG-KxL4eDI
 If you find that the 940 is not comfortable that could be a good reason to return them. I also have the Fisher Audio FA-003 with wood or I can switch to the standard FA-003 cups as well. Fisher Audio has by far the largest selection of four year old wood cups to choose from and I wanted one of my headphones to have wood cups. My Stax and the T70 are my clearest headphones.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #48 of 63

Quote:
Here's a idea maybe he should try the 940''s.They are comfortable, detailed with great mids and tight bass.really cant go wrong! lol just poking fun.to each his/her own I enjoy them myself and I have eclectic tastes from beatles to radiohead to gershwin.

Did you even read his posts?

He's trying the 940 right now.  Funnily enough he's found them uncomfortable and made following comments re sound:

Quote:
  1. Sure, they certainly have less bass than the M50s, but it is there. And whatever is there is actually well controlled and detailed—I actually find it more than adequate. Bear in mind I'm running them off an E10.
  2. There's more audible background noise than on the M50s, which, to my ears, tends to affect dynamics/transient response slightly.
  3. There's a bit more detail, I guess, but not that much more over my M50s.
  4. They do sound a bit mid-centric. Perhaps a bit more than I'd like. If the M50s had a "v-shaped" tonal response these feel like a slight "n". Not sure yet how I feel about this.
  5. I hear what people talked about when they said there was a dip in the upper lows/lower mids—it gives you the feeling that *something* is missing there. Hard to point out, though.
  6. I feel the M50s are a bit more... musical? Like they M50s have better PRaT and attack. Pieces like Beethoven's 9th feel less emotional on the Shures, and some of my piano reference pieces like Schubert's Impromptu No. 2 in E Flat Major and a bunch of Chopin's Etudes feel like the piano lacks body and impact, compared to the M50s. The M50s can be a bit boomy on these, so something in between would be nice.

To sum it up, I'm not sure the Shures are worth the $100+ upgrade, TBH. Then again, I may not know what I'm talking about :wink:.

I owned the 940's (after the 840's) and totally agree with his initial comments - it's why I sold mine - uncomfortable, and just sounded "off".  My main issue was the mid-bass.  A lot of people have mixed views on them.  Kudos to you if you like them - I was just advising OP that I totally agree with him - there are better value closed cans for his genres out there IMO.

BTW - as reference points I owned the DT880 and currently own the HD600.

Again I'll reiterate my thoughts on an alternative closed can for the specific genre - but also as an all-rounder : FA-003 / HM5.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #49 of 63

Quote:
Don't even try.  There's more than one or two people who've commented on the unnatural sound and on the comfort of the SRH940.

After really enjoying the SRH840 (comfort and sound) I found the 940's to be pretty much a let-down.  Good with jazz, female vocals etc - but too narrow in the genres that they did excel with.

If you are looking for a good and comfortable closed can for classical - try the FA-003 or the HM5 (HM5 is new - an FA-003 clone).  Very balanced can - not a bad sound stage for a closed headphone.  I enjoy them - particularly with violin and piano concertos. 

Thanks.

Yeah, I've read good things about the FA-003/HM5. The turn off for me so far has been availability, as well as easy/fast access to support. I've basically stuck to only the headphones I can order and have at my door within a day or two (namely sold by Amazon et al), and that I can easily return if I don't like them.

Right now I'm in Boston, so I've been taking advantage of the awesome selection of retailers and shipping options in the states in order to try as many headphones as I can, but I'm going back to Canada the first week of Feb, so I can't afford the wait times for the FA/HM5s. Maybe when I'm back there and have more time to wait I'll order a pair to check them out.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #50 of 63
^ ditto :wink:

Quote:
I have heard about the comfort issue on the 940 with a tip that can help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYG-KxL4eDI
 If you find that the 940 is not comfortable that could be a good reason to return them. I also have the Fisher Audio FA-003 with wood or I can switch to the standard FA-003 cups as well. Fisher Audio has by far the largest selection of four year old wood cups to choose from and I wanted one of my headphones to have wood cups. My Stax and the T70 are my clearest headphones.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #51 of 63

Quote:
Colourisation is adding stuff to the original intended music. It's not entirely a bad thing (smoothens/makes it more musical and dynamic/etc) but it alters the sound. In classical, I prefer the intended and original sound as well as the (sometimes) harsh melody the violin makes as the bow scrapes dynamically (ah I got the word here - natural). I much more enjoy it "raw than cooked". For pop and rock genres, it's another thing. V shaped almost always sound best with them. 

Imo, open cans is the only way to go to experience this naturalness. It's like a living creature in the open forests not in captivity. 

The 880s are not super flat. They're just flat (maybe just a tad brighter).

I agree that the more "natural" (I sometimes describe it as "organic") sound is what I'm after.

Funny you mentioned that particular example, because I love the sound of the bow hitting the violin/cello strings and is one of the first things I listen for. That, and the vibrant (as in vibration) sound that accompanies them—crucial for appreciating the body of string instruments (and piano—BTW, I never know how to classify the piano... is it string or percussion? or both? :^P). This, I feel, is something missing from the 940s, and something at which the M50s are better IMHO.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #54 of 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that fischer audio/brainwavz is highly regarded, and this guys saying it does well with classical. id say these or the a900.

dont know why i didnt think of them at the start. they look real comfy as well
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones-preorder-p-663.html?zenid=bfc2d416a1f4e4ba3f924ba9d9bd85a7

Oy! Their estimated shipping date is Feb. 29, and then 10-20 day shipping :^P. Maybe some other time. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Quote:
@minusfive ,
try to adjust headband size, play with ear cup position on head, this can affect the sound signature of srh940.
See my review for more details.
No warranty you'd like the result better, but you should try, it's easy.

Thanks @extrabigmehdi! That's actually really helpful! And I can confirm it does work—not only does sound improve, but they feel a bit more comfortable!

OK, so here's my update on the Shures:

The Good News

I'm liking their sound more the more I listen to them—even before trying @extrabigmehdi's tips. The bass is definitely present, I don't know why some say there's no bass in these cans. It's starting to sound more fuller and musical to my ears.

The Bad News

They're killing my head and my ears! I think the headband has started to melt with my scalp and skin is starting to grow over it. And I might've lost the upper-back tip of my left ear! Ouch! These suckers really are uncomfortable. And yes, even with @extrabigmehdi's suggestions. They feel a bit better, but probably because they're now applying pressure on new points, and the old ones are getting a rest. I can still feel the pressure, and am sure that after a few minutes those new spots will be as sore as the old ones :frowning2:.

The Worse News

Now when I switch to my M50s they are starting to sound boomy and muffled in comparison—I'm starting to see what others were saying :^(. I really hope I find some other cans I like.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #55 of 63

Quote:

I agree that the more "natural" (I sometimes describe it as "organic") sound is what I'm after.

Funny you mentioned that particular example, because I love the sound of the bow hitting the violin/cello strings and is one of the first things I listen for. That, and the vibrant (as in vibration) sound that accompanies them—crucial for appreciating the body of string instruments (and piano—BTW, I never know how to classify the piano... is it string or percussion? or both? :^P). This, I feel, is something missing from the 940s, and something at which the M50s are better IMHO.

I think it's both strings and percussion. The strings are hit with a hammer. 

If you love that sound, get the HD600 (if you're finally getting an open can) and it's the best out there for classical in terms of neutrality and naturalness. On the other hand, the HD800 is the best for orchestras. Although the HD800 isn't as natural and neutral as the HD600, it has the best soundstage and imaging I've ever heard (perfect for full sized orchestras). 

Some people say that Stax is way better than the HD600/800 for classical but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to listen to electrostatics. Technically electrostatics should perform better. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #57 of 63

Quote:
but why spend so much when you can get a hd598 which is a very good sound, extremly comfy, very efficent and doesnt kill the bankroll

Listen to the HD600/800 and report back.

The HD598 isn't even close to neutral! Imo, the HD598 sounds fun, had a better soundstage and appearance than the HD600. I will get the HD598 someday hopefully.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #59 of 63

Quote:
but why spend so much when you can get a hd598 which is a very good sound, extremly comfy, very efficent and doesnt kill the bankroll

Quote:
Listen to the HD600/800 and report back.

The HD598 isn't even close to neutral! Imo, the HD598 sounds fun, had a better soundstage and appearance than the HD600. I will get the HD598 someday hopefully.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, but unfortunately I'm looking for closed cans at the moment, so I can wear them at the office. It's an open-concept office—a web startup, so it doesn't get super loud, but it's not necessarily quiet either. And there's the occasional brainstorming burst between two or more people, which in our industry is encouraged—so I need a can that allows me to wrap myself in my own sweet melodic world surrounded by Chopin, Schubert, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart et al ;^).

Perhaps next month I'll look for an open can for home, which is a really quiet space, and then I'll be taking a look at the HD598/600s.

Do keep the suggestions coming, though :wink:.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #60 of 63
when you get back to canada, order the HM5's with fedex shipping.
or maybe they'll have them back in amazon stock by then.

why? piano's sound too realistic.
classical music is too legit on these. (though one who is EXTREMELY familiar with a particular piece may disagree)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back