Best closed can for classical (under $400)?
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #16 of 63

Quote:
the a900 is very midcentric correct? i understand he is going to be listening to classical, but if he doesnt know what midcentric sounds like he may not enjoy it. his m50 is the polar opposite of midcentric, and going from a m50 to a a900 may be difficult. the dt770 is one step towards balanced, the a900 is like ten steps. 

i dont know anything about the k550 but they look cool, wish i had a pair

what the op must understand is that a m50 is not classified as a "classical" can. the a900 and hd598 probably are, but you will loose bass responce and it will be more smoother and silky sounding. if you want that the a900 is probably a good "classical" closed can choice.

I guess that becomes the question then, does he want something that sounds like the M50, but better, or does he want a headphone that most people agree is actually great for classical?  You can listen to any genre on any can, but that doesn't mean it'll sound optimal.  The OP could have been more like "want to upgrade from the K701, I listen to rap and dubstep."  That would be even stranger.  In terms of something that sounds more like the M50, but is better for classical, then it's probably the Pro 900 vs. the D2000. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 63
Thank you all for your replies!

Quote:
I guess that becomes the question then, does he want something that sounds like the M50, but better, or does he want a headphone that most people agree is actually great for classical?  You can listen to any genre on any can, but that doesn't mean it'll sound optimal.  The OP could have been more like "want to upgrade from the K701, I listen to rap and dubstep."  That would be even stranger.  In terms of something that sounds more like the M50, but is better for classical, then it's probably the Pro 900 vs. the D2000. 

I actually want to try something that's known to be better for classical. Whether I like it or not once I try it is a different story. But I want to give my ears/brain a chance :wink:.

The Pro 900s (Ultrasone right?) seem a bit out of my league budgetwise. Those DT 660s look interesting...

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 63
You may have to watch prices for a few days/weeks, but the Pro 900 (yes, Ultrasone) can be found as low as $300 new.  It's not really the best match for classical, but it is kind of like a much-improved M50.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #21 of 63
Thank you all for your replies!

Quote:
Quote:
...now find something that suits you well. i think you would do great with an a900 or the dt770. it seems like the dt770 are going to be like the m50, but an upgrade, and the a900 more like the very flat hd598. id say get a flat "classical" can since you already have an m50, which is a great aggresive headphone.

also, i wouldnt spend too much on a can becuase a wise man once told me

good luck!

Yeah, I think I'm going to order the SRH-940, the ATH-A900 and the DT 660 to try them out and compare them side by side, keep the one I like the most and return the others :wink:.

Both the A900 and DT 660 seem like worthy contenders for what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, based on what I've read the DT 770 seems a bit bassy for classical, with the DT 660 being flatter, right?

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 63
@minusfive

I listen to (and play) a lot of classical pieces and I just want to share you my personal experience. I've gone around IEMs and cans with different signatures and I find neutral [and natural] cans the best for classical (balanced next). V shaped and coloured cans are not suited for classical IMO. Best closed can under 400? I haven't heard a lot of closed cans so I don't really know.

But one thing for sure, the Shure SRH940 lacks bass (under-neutral) and is a bit coloured. You have been warned. 
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #27 of 63
My SRH-940 will come the next day as yours. Besides the Denon D2000 I also have the HD598 and Fisher Audio FA-003w to compare it with. Wow you will have three new headphones this week.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #29 of 63
The other Beyerdynamics that might be worth considering are the DT250, which feature a very balanced response and clear yet balanced bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back