Best closed backs?

What closed headphones sound best?

• Total voters
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
What are the best closed backs out there?
In particular, I'd like them to have the best bass extension with even, slightly warm frequency response, good transparency, i.e. minimized internal reflections, and be somewhat lightweight.

So far I've owned the Eikon, MDR-Z1R, LCD-4, and Mobius.
The Eikon and Z1R were pretty similar. I think the Z1R may have been a little more clear sounding, but had a unnatural sounding peak in the frequency response.
The LCD-4 was painfully heavy and had good bass, but didn't sound as transparent to me as the Z1R.
The Mobius is lighter weight, wireless, and has the best bass extension (?!) probably due to a DSP correction. The clarity is just a little behind the others, but so far this seems to be my favorite. The "3D audio" makes everything sound richer and I've been using it almost exclusively now. I also bought a Windows application that lets me use this with any headphone.

So has anyone heard these who can comment or heard better closed backs? I'm especially interested in comparisons between these and others.

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 97
Focal Stellia is the best closed back headphones I ever had. Compared to the Mobius it's sound signature is more neutral and "grown up".
Recently aquired a beyerdynamic MMX-300 that replaced the mobius. It's based of the DT770 and while it remains a beyerdynamic it's also the biggest surprise for me, since it made me sell my Stellia.

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 97
I recommend Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless, excellent sound via Bluetooth

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-amiron-wireless.869613/page-27#post-15226173

This headphone is really a bliss.. surprisingly it doesn't get much attention. Bluetooth is a huge convencience, in addition to the headphone you just need a smartphone instead of source+ dac + preamp+ amp + cable (!) setups which are inconvenient, importable, complex and expensive as hell.

Amiron Wireless sounds just quite good, at its price of $700 it sound as good as similar priced sub $1k closed backs (keep in mind you also need $1k amp or DAP with a $1k wired headphone) It sounds exceptional with almost every genre and type of music. The sound signature is perfect, balanced basis and slight v-shape to add punch to low and high end while maintaining neutrality.

It also sounds good with imperfect recordings which is a big plus as well. You may say "just listen to high quality recordings bro" but many of my favorite artists and composers' music are sadly poorly mastered and compressed. They sound unlistenable with some headphones but reasonably good with Amiron.

Make sure that your device has aptX HD. Many flasgship headphones have it, and there some software tweaks to insert aptX HD into an Androice device which doesn't originally support it (PM me for help :) )

Some people questionad Amiron's portable usage, I am doing very fine with my backpack. After taking it off put the Amiron into its case and the case into your backpack (Never simply throw Amiron into your backback, it can get harmed and gather dust). And the passive isolation is good enough to wear it at almost everywhere.

Oct 6, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 97
the best bass extension with even, slightly warm frequency response, good transparency

Sony MDR-7520 fits this description well

Oct 6, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 97
1.ZMF Verite closed
2.Focal Stellia

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 97
I can't say what is best, mostly because "best" doesn't really exist. My favorite out of what I've heard are the ZMF Atticus, followed closely by the Blackwoods (dynamic vs. planar). But for full disclosure, I've not heard many other cans, other than some lower end sets (AKG, Meze 99, BeyerDynamic, etc.), and the higher-end Audeze LCD-XCs.

I have several other ZMF closed-backs, including the Eikons, but I keep gravitating back to the Atticus (when I'm not listening to open back cans).

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 97
I assume you meant Mr. Speakers Ether XC, correct?

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 97
I think you’ve already got one of the best ones out there in the Z1R. I’ve got the Z7 and LOVE it. The next progression step up for me and my love of closed backs and high end Sony gear is the MDR-Z1R.

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 97
A common sentiment regarding the XCs is the weight. Yes, these are the heaviest cans I've ever had on my head (now there's a joke set up if ever there was one!). The weigh doesn't bother me, I can use them comfortably for several hours), but the older stock headband did create some hot spots. So I modded them by attaching a thick chunk of foam cut from an old mattress topper. It looks goofy, but it really works!!! And was way cheaper than spending $200 on the newer headband.

lcd-xc.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 97
A common sentiment regarding the XCs is the weight. Yes, these are the heaviest cans I've ever had on my head (now there's a joke set up if ever there was one!). The weigh doesn't bother me, I can use them comfortably for several hours), but the older stock headband did create some hot spots. So I modded them by attaching a thick chunk of foam cut from an old mattress topper. It looks goofy, but it really works!!! And was way cheaper than spending $200 on the newer headband.

Quality mod :L3000:

On a more serious note, as long as it's comfy and used at home, looks are not important.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 97
Hi Matt. Do you recognize the cables attached to the Eikons? :)

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 97
I love subjective question threads like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back