1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Best closed-back, over-ear headphones for under $200?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by aman1420, Nov 6, 2011.
  1. aman1420
    Hi everyone.
    I'm fairly new to the site, but have been researching for a bit now.
    I actually bought a pair of ATH-M50's a few days ago, so this thread might be late, but I can still return them, so...
    here's what I'm looking for (keep in mind, this will be my first and last pair of high-end HPs for quite a while, at least 5-7 years, so recommend wisely):

-Closed-back
    -Over-ear
    -Under $200
    -Fairly portable
    -Balanced mids, highs, and lows.
    -Clean
    -A decent soundstage
    -I listen to rock, rock, rock. All kinds of rock. Some orchestra/piano music as well.
    -Also, I was wondering about the whole recessed-mids deal with the M50's. Now that I think about it, I probably value the midrange the most when it comes to overall sound. Should this be a deal-breaker for me, or do they improve after burn-in?

If you need any more info, just ask. Thanks again!!

2. Ra97oR
    Its a good idea to know what do you like/dislike from the M50 to get a good reference point, or you could just keep the M50 if you like it.

3. Marximus
    KRK KNS-8400s.

4. aman1420
    Ra97oR: to be honest, I don't have any real complaints at the moment. I think they sound great, and the comfort level is pretty decent too. However, since I don't have any experience with good HPs and have to stick with these for a pretty long time, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask what everyone thinks, even though the general consensus is that these are amazing for the price/in general....

I will say this: I might need to stretch these just a bit if I'm keeping them... :p