Best closed-back, over-ear headphones for under $200?
Nov 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aman1420

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.
I'm fairly new to the site, but have been researching for a bit now.
I actually bought a pair of ATH-M50's a few days ago, so this thread might be late, but I can still return them, so...
here's what I'm looking for (keep in mind, this will be my first and last pair of high-end HPs for quite a while, at least 5-7 years, so recommend wisely):

-Closed-back
-Over-ear
-Under $200
-Fairly portable
-Balanced mids, highs, and lows.
-Clean
-A decent soundstage
-I listen to rock, rock, rock. All kinds of rock. Some orchestra/piano music as well.
-Also, I was wondering about the whole recessed-mids deal with the M50's. Now that I think about it, I probably value the midrange the most when it comes to overall sound. Should this be a deal-breaker for me, or do they improve after burn-in?

If you need any more info, just ask. Thanks again!!

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Its a good idea to know what do you like/dislike from the M50 to get a good reference point, or you could just keep the M50 if you like it.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Ra97oR: to be honest, I don't have any real complaints at the moment. I think they sound great, and the comfort level is pretty decent too. However, since I don't have any experience with good HPs and have to stick with these for a pretty long time, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask what everyone thinks, even though the general consensus is that these are amazing for the price/in general....

I will say this: I might need to stretch these just a bit if I'm keeping them... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back