Best closed-back on-ear headphones (Supra-aural headphones) under $250 for Ipod or Macbook use!!
Apr 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lofthanza

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says, I have been trying to find a good on-ear headphones to use directly through my ipod or mac (unamped)!
I already own the ATH-m50 which I like very much, but I can't use them outside since they are a bit huge. I prefer the new cans to be closed since I want to mute the external noise as much as possible.
My budget is $250!!

Thanks for the help!!

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 13
B & W P5s seems to be a bit over the allocated budget!

The Sennheiser Amperiors don't look as attractive as I might want, so I wouldn't be comfortable wearing them.

Am I asking for too much? :/

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 13
Supra-aurals have to be a fine line between durable, good sounding, and good looking. It's not too much to ask, just a harder search! :p

Maybe check out the Audio Technica ESW-9?

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 13
I feel the concept of over ear is more important than closed back for noise isolation. Headphones like the p5 aren't snug and can't isolate. With over ear, the fact that the ear is covered helps isolation. Not to say closed doesn't deliver isolation, but demanding isolating and on ear is difficult, unless fit is so tonight it seals the ear with compression. The best isolating on ear IMO is klipsch image ones, partly due to the fact that they are close to being over ears

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Try the Sony MDR 1R. Very efficient, so no need for an amp, and very comfortable. Now that the price has been reduced to $200 these are listed as the top portable cans on the Inner Fidelity wall of Fame.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Of course comfort can vary quite a bit from person to person.  
But when I tried them out, the Vmoda M80 seemed very reasonable for on-ear
models.  They are very light and portable.  Bass is more emphasized compared
to your M50s.

The Sony MDR 1R's nice, but not sure you're getting enough difference in form factor
compared to the M50s.  You're looking for something much more portable, right?

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Too bad you don't like the look of the HD-25-1-ii / Amperior. I'd say they would fit your budget and sound quite nice as well.

I personally love the tech look. You do get stares though, mostly from the beats people. It blows their head right off cause the Senny just screams studio/pro.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Have you thought about Beyerdynamic DT-1350s?

I haven't listened to these, but may be worth investigating.

Style is very clean and obviously lightweight, portable design.

edit: Looks like they are $210 on Amazon currently.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Too bad you don't like the look of the HD-25-1-ii / Amperior. I'd say they would fit your budget and sound quite nice as well.

I personally love the tech look. You do get stares though, mostly from the beats people. It blows their head right off cause the Senny just screams studio/pro.

Yeah i agree with ev13wt. You should consider the hd-25. They're truly a fantastic sounding headphone. I often go back to them I've owned mine for years and they are still going strong apart from replacing the pads with the blue adidas style pads. They are a classic headphone

they are currently $199 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD25-1-II-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B000TDZOXG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back