Best CLOSED-BACK headphones under 200 with neutral sound signature?
Aug 9, 2020 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JediMa70

500+ Head-Fier
I've few Open Back headphones but not any closed back headphones with a neutral sound signature.
Beyerdynamic DT880
Audio Technica MX40 - MX50 - MSR7B
or any other model that I don't know?

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Aug 10, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Howdy, JediMa70.

Fwiw, these are some of the closed HPs mentioned in the above topic, which are in the ~$200 price range or lower...

AKG K361, K371, K550/K553 MkII
AudioTechnica M30x, M40x, M50x
Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6
Beyerdynamic DT-150, DT-250, and DT-770 (80 and 250 ohm)
KRK KNS-6400, KNS-8400 (I recommend avoiding the 6400)
NAD Viso HP50
Sennheiser HD 569 & HD 280 Pro
Sony MDR-7506 & 7510

One which has not been mentioned yet, which perhaps should be is the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear. This model has pretty small pads though, so it's sort of in-between an on- and over-ear HP. And we haven't really delved much into the AT MSR7B yet, though it is also currently in the sub-$250 range.

There are a couple popular models which are more in the $300+ range as well, including the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (mainly the wired version I think), and Sony 1AM2. Best Buy carries both in their Magnolia audio section. Though I only saw the wireless version of the Momentum, which I believe has a somewhat different (and not as good) sound than the wired version. I gave both of the above a listen when I was there recently, as well as some Bose models with NC. Namely the 700, 35-II and Soundlink Around-Ear II.

I believe all the above use dynamic drivers btw, as opposed to planar-magnetics. The only closed planars I know of that might be in a similar price range are possibly the Monoprice HPs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are only a few closed planar models by other mfrs. And I suspect you'll have to spend upwards of $350(?) to get those.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out above. Rtings has plots for most of the above HPs btw. And many others. Here is one example for the AT M50x...

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#295/4011
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#295/4012
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#295/4029

There are some JBLs and also some other less well-known brands which also look somewhat promising. But I know less about some of those. You can check out the Rtings reviews though for those.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Howdy, JediMa70.

Fwiw, these are some of the closed HPs mentioned in the above topic, which are in the ~$200 price range or lower...

AKG K361, K371, K550/K553 MkII
AudioTechnica M30x, M40x, M50x
Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6
Beyerdynamic DT-150, DT-250, and DT-770 (80 and 250 ohm)
KRK KNS-6400, KNS-8400 (I recommend avoiding the 6400)
NAD Viso HP50
Sennheiser HD 569 & HD 280 Pro
Sony MDR-7506 & 7510

One which has not been mentioned yet, which perhaps should be is the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear. This model has pretty small pads though, so it's sort of in-between an on- and over-ear HP. And we haven't really delved much into the AT MSR7B yet, though it is also currently in the sub-$250 range.

There are a couple popular models which are more in the $300+ range as well, including the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (mainly the wired version I think), and Sony 1AMR2. Best Buy carries both in their Magnolia audio section. Though I only saw the wireless version of the Momentum, which I believe has a somewhat different (and not as good) sound than the wired version. I gave both of the above a listen when I was there recently, as well as some Bose models with NC. Namely the 700, 35-II and Soundlink Around-Ear II.

I believe all the above use dynamic drivers btw, as opposed to planar-magnetics. The only closed planars I know of that might be in a similar price range are possibly the Monoprice HPs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are only a few closed planar models by other mfrs. And I suspect you'll have to spend upwards of $350(?) to get those.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out above. Rtings has plots for most of the above HPs btw. And many others. Here is one example for the AT M50x...

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#295/4011
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#295/4012
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#295/4029

There are some JBLs and also some other less well-known brands which also look somewhat promising. But I know less about some of those. You can check out the Rtings reviews though for those.

In the past I had the ATH MSR7 (not the 2nd version B) and they sounded fantastic but they were terribly uncomfortable, so I've few hopes about the B ones but I don't know how much they've been changed.
About that list I've tried few:
AudioTechnica M40x decent but only decent, detail wasn't the best, are the M50X really better? Because they are not really expensive
Sony MDR-7506, I didn't like the so long and not detatchable cable and a performance just average
Beyer DT-770 80, too bassy and v-shaped to be neutral

The ones available and interesting from the list:
AKG K361
Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 (but OFF budget)
Beyerdynamic DT-250 - KRK KNS-8400 (but I really don't know them.. I like how they look and the price)

I'm pretty curious about Sennheiser HD 569 because I've read not so good reviews but I trust more this comunity and i'm going to google the others because I dont know them.
And what do you think about Sennheiser HD 25 SP II?
So if you had to pick 3 where I can choose my one, considering also the limited options to buy from Italy?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 7
In the past I had the ATH MSR7 (not the 2nd version B) and they sounded fantastic but they were terribly uncomfortable, so I've few hopes about the B ones but I don't know how much they've been changed.
About that list I've tried few:
AudioTechnica M40x decent but only decent, detail wasn't the best, are the M50X really better? Because they are not really expensive
Sony MDR-7506, I didn't like the so long and not detatchable cable and a performance just average
Beyer DT-770 80, too bassy and v-shaped to be neutral

The ones available and interesting from the list:
AKG K361
Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 (but OFF budget)
Beyerdynamic DT-250 - KRK KNS-8400 (but I really don't know them.. I like how they look and the price)

I'm pretty curious about Sennheiser HD 569 because I've read not so good reviews but I trust more this comunity and i'm going to google the others because I dont know them.
And what do you think about Sennheiser HD 25 SP II?
So if you had to pick 3 where I can choose my one, considering also the limited options to buy from Italy?

Please see my reply here, JediMa70. TIA...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...l-sound-signature.936789/page-6#post-15797637

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 7
For me it's easily the k371. When I owned it the headband adjustment was not great but it really is a very neutral and good sounding closed back

Edit: supposedly the build has gone through revisions that improved it

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 7
For me it's easily the k371. When I owned it the headband adjustment was not great but it really is a very neutral and good sounding closed back

Edit: supposedly the build has gone through revisions that improved it
I like how they look and the price is really good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back