Best closed (AKG?) for classical?
Oct 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

leokennis

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I'm looking to purchase a headphone to listen to classical music. Most of my classical music consists of symphonies (Mozart, Rachmaninov, Beethoven, Bruckner) or "wind" music (flute, horn concertos etc.). There is the occasional piano sonata.

I'm looking for:

1. A closed headphone (office environment; sound blockage is less important, sound leakage is)
  2. That works decent without a heavy amp (preferrably doesn't need an amp at all)
  3. With a very good sound stage

I currently have an Ultrasone HFI-780, which is too forward and bassy for classical in my taste. For portable I have a B&W P5, which is very good for classical but lacks the soundstage and impact only a full-size headphone can provicde.

My attention is drawn to AKG, since I hear a lot of good things about them regarding classical. The AKG K550 is around €200 shipped, which would be ok if I had no other choice, but in an ideal world I'm looking to spend €100 - €150.

Can anyone offer me some advice? Thanks a lot in advance!

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for all the replies! I would first need to sell my HFI-780 so I'm not "jumping" on the K550 for sale now :wink: 

I understand the K550 are a very good choice...does anyone have experience with them unamped?

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Listening to them right now off the soundcard of my work PC and they sound great. I also take them with me when I travel and use them straight out of my Ipod.

The difference I've noticed when amped is a tighter, more controlled bass.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 12
Bought the second hand pair mentioned at the top of this thread and just received them. Running them from my Vivid V1 DAC/AMP and couldn't be happier. Very much the soundstage and (relative) neutrality I was looking for!

A nice surprise was the amount of bass they pump out when the track calls for it; it goes way deeper than I thought based on other peoples experiences.

So thanks for the advice, I'm gonna enjoy my big-ass cans some more :)

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 12
i would take the srh940 over the k550s anytime with any music. bigger, more details, better separation and positioning. in short twice the quality in sound. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
i would take the srh940 over the k550s anytime with any music. bigger, more details, better separation and positioning. in short twice the quality in sound. 

I heard these break quite easily though (cracks in the plastic). Is this true?

As for the AKG K271MKII: I researched these at well. The general consensus seemed to be that they need an amp more than the K550 does, and they have weaker bass (as in: even weaker bass than "neutral"). Again: is this true?

For classical midrange is king, but sometimes you do need that low end kick for timpani or some cello's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back