Best clip-to-ear headphones?
Jun 7, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
ATH-EW9. at least I like them... though it seems a lot of people have a different view on them. I didn't like the KSC-35 that much when I had someone's pair I recabled and put 75-Ohm resistors in for him.

Can't recall whether this is the first time or not, but you and I seem to be in complete agreement.

Frequently, I find I like headphones which others dismiss as cold, bright, sterile and/or analytical -- not because I fall into the trap of wanting the musicologically impossible (to hear precisely what the artist intended), but because I tend to listen analytically, which some interpret as sterile, cold, etc.

For that reason, my KSC-35 are rarely used. What others interpret as warmth, I hear as excessively smooth -- as an audio Gaussian blur.

The EW9, which reveal more detail, seem more neutral in studio terms and fit my lobes far better, would be used often if I happened to own a pair. The relatively high price point is perhaps what gives me pause. If I chose not to spring for a pair of excellent in-ear phones for private listening, then I might elect to buy a cheaper model of Audio-Technica clipons (used and for under $50). Sometimes you need to hear the world around you when you're listening to music.

An idea for non-isolating Etymotics: the in-ear headphone equivalent to their musician's earplugs.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Not me... KSC75 beats the 35 because the ear hook is metal and can be bent for a custom fit. The fit affects the sound. Tighter fit closes the soundstage and gives more bass. looser fit makes them sound more spatious with a little less bass.

KSC75 is my vote... $15 shipped!!!! cant beat that

Garrett

Garrett

$15 shipped? Where, how, who, site, does it ship to Canada, thanks.

biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PersianMafia
$15 shipped? Where, how, who, site, does it ship to Canada, thanks.

biggrin.gif

I believe it was amazon or provantage.... dont know if they ship to canada... try the search tool. the thread was very recent.

Garrett

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 35
Garrett,

What's the best way to get my hands on a 75 ohm adaptor? I've seen you post about it in other threads and I'd really like to try it out with my KSC's.

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
Garrett,

What's the best way to get my hands on a 75 ohm adaptor? I've seen you post about it in other threads and I'd really like to try it out with my KSC's.

I made my own... but there are places that sell them... I forget the URL though.

really its just a pair of 75 ohm 1/4 watt metal film resistors in-line with the positive leads. So theoretically you could wire it in-line on the cable, but that would be irreversible.

heres mine... one of these days Im going to do a build-up tutorial with clear epoxy to you all can see how rediculously simple they are inside. Note also that it needs an amp to gain full advantage, My creative players are not powerful enough by themselves.

401268_259_full.jpg

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
The BEST . . . KSC-35.
The #2 . . . KSC-75 (but cheaper and more readily available.)

I second this. I have both and to me the 35's just have a more full sound and a little better bass. Maybe they just fit my ears right.

I also highly recommend using a 75 ohm adapter. I bought a DIY cable version from a fellow head-fi'er but Xin sells an inline model (I can't find the url right now).

eggosmile.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 35
Another vote for the EW-9. I used to have the KSC-35 but sold them. In hindsight, I probably should have held onto them as they were a fun phone especially for around the pool or something like that. However, I don't have a pool so that's probably why I got rid of them.

Anyway, I sold a lot of my portable phones and bought the EW-9. There is no comparison between the KSC-35 and these. While the Koss are fun, the ATs are serious. These are real headphones that delivery audiophile-like sound in a small package. Perfect for a transportable rig, but I wouldn't go jogging with these little beauties. They're like museum pieces.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #24 of 35
For the folks who recommended the EW-9, I don't doubt it's beauty, both in looks, and I bet in sound.
ew9_04.jpg

But those are $200! For that price they better be the king of all Clip-Ons (and they probably are, for the last word in clip on sonic presentation) - but bang for the buck I'll take the KSC-35 for 30 bucks (I'm cheap like that!)

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
For the folks who recommended the EW-9, I don't doubt it's beauty, both in looks, and I bet in sound.
ew9_04.jpg

But those are $200! For that price they better be the king of all Clip-Ons (and they probably are, for the last word in clip on sonic presentation) - but bang for the buck I'll take the KSC-35 for 30 bucks (I'm cheap like that!)

The topic was "best clip to ear headphone" which I interpreted as best overall not best bang for buck. They cost $199 at AudioCubes but you used to be able to get them for less (around $160) through the AT Singapore site. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working anymore. I bought mine used, in excellent condition, for considerably less.

There is no doubt that the KSC-35 are truly the best bang for your buck clip-on.

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

ew9_04.jpg

Yep, Audio Techinica definitely make THE best looking cans in every category (and they usually sound pretty good too). If I had any disposable income I would love to try these. But for now I will stick with my KSC's.

icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
There is no doubt that the KSC-35 are truly the best bang for your buck clip-on.

Let's trade.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #28 of 35
Not to throw the thread off-topic, but I was wondering how the KSC-35s compare to the other favories in the Koss line that aren't clip-ons (namely the KSC-50/55 and Porta Pros). Are the KSC-35s still at the top of the list in the "bang for buck" category?

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Yep, Audio Techinica definitely make THE best looking cans in every category (and they usually sound pretty good too). If I had any disposable income I would love to try these. But for now I will stick with my KSC's.

icon10.gif

I had to sell my KSC 35, PX 200, PortaPros and D66 Eggos to get the EW9s. However, I just wasn't using those phones much anymore. The EW9 scale really nicely. They sound good coming out of my flash player and sound even better when I use my Overture DAC rig.

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Let's trade.
evil_smiley.gif

Really, I would, but I know they just aren't your cup of tea.
tongue.gif

Not enough bass for you.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back