Best classical recordings...ever!
Jul 9, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #9,331 of 9,368
Not a big fan of Linn Records, but a massive Shostakovich fan, especially his chamber music. This is a very nice recording

61Vp87SmxbS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #9,332 of 9,368
I can't seem to find any J.C. Bach or Clara Schumann recordings. any help? I know Clara is Romantic not classical but I would still like to know
What is your source of music? All of the streaming services (Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Tidal, Qobuz, etc) have lots of recordings of both composers.

BTW, the term "classical" in this thread refers to the broad topic of classical music, not to a specific era (baroque, classical, romantic...)

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #9,333 of 9,368
What is your source of music? All of the streaming services (Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Tidal, Qobuz, etc) have lots of recordings of both composers.

BTW, the term "classical" in this thread refers to the broad topic of classical music, not to a specific era (baroque, classical, romantic...)
my source is CDs, DVD-As, SACDs and a few hi-rez downloads. I like to buy, not rent, my music.

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #9,334 of 9,368
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #9,335 of 9,368
Not a big fan of Linn Records, but a massive Shostakovich fan, especially his chamber music. This is a very nice recording

61Vp87SmxbS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I shall investigate!

спасибо большое!

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #9,340 of 9,368
Here is an amazing example from my previous post. There is no better performance recorded and given the history of the piece and the date of the performance makes it an important historical document besides its obvious emotional strength. Amazing IMO.

Here is the background of the performance:

"Vaclav Talich, conductor The Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

Recorded Live on June 6, 1939 at the National Theater, Prague In March of 1939 the Nazis initiated the Bohemian Protectorate, and effectively occupied Prague. Vaclav Talich gave a Gala Concert with the Czech Philharmonic as a patriotic statement by the people of Prague, choosing the symbolic location of the National Theater as the venue for the Gala. In a packed house of patriotic Czechs, they gave the most spirited performance of "Má Vlast" in history. Fortunately for prosperity, the concert was recorded by Radio Norway using the best technology of the time, and it was re-broadcast in other countries throughout Europe. It is an electric performance, not only by the orchestra, but an equally impressive showing of approval by the audience, giving some of the most enthusiastic ovations ever recorded, and ending the concert with a spontaneous singing of the Czech National Anthem. Supraphone put out a CD of this historic musical event that has drawn universal raves, which is amazing to listen to. Unfortunately, as of 2021, it is hard, if not impossible, to get from American suppliers, except as an MP3 download.

The present edition is from the complete broadcast, but without studio commentary; we wished to focus, instead, on the concert itself. In our current restoration it is possible to use new technologies which remove more surface noise from the source transcriptions, and restore the missing notes from the opening of "From Bohemia's Woods and Fields" instead of the fade used for the Supraphone Edition. The present mastering employs Field Acoustic Reimaging to restore the original sound with greater overall dynamic range and sonic detail. In order to preserve, as closely as possible, the historic nature of this recording, no other processing was used. These are the original acoustics. When recording a live show, it is the standard practice to establish overall levels prior to performance. The Radio Norway engineers did adhere to this practice, but nobody could have predicted the energy that was present at that performance. Musicians always "Go Up" in a live performance, but in this instance the uncanny levels generated in the room pegged the faders, resulting in some overage during the exposition of "Vyšehrad" at the beginning. Like Supraphone before us, this has been left alone here. By "The Moldau" they corrected the situation and the levels are normal. There is also some modulation noise at 50 hz, again, the decision was to follow Supraphone's lead and leave this untouched as a historic document.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #9,341 of 9,368
Supraphone put out a CD of this historic musical event that has drawn universal raves, which is amazing to listen to. Unfortunately, as of 2021, it is hard, if not impossible, to get from American suppliers, except as an MP3 download.
It's also available for streaming on Qobuz and Tidal, in CD resolution (keep in mind that the sound quality is still from 1939). Curiously, I don't see this album on Spotify or Apple.
https://open.qobuz.com/album/exommw30ct3fc
https://tidal.com/browse/album/89477849

exommw30ct3fc_600.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #9,343 of 9,368
There are numerous excellent Daphnis et Chloe recordings. I recently bought copies of Dutoit's and Monteux's recordings. Both beautiful, especially the Monteux.
But there is one recording that remains my favorite, which to my ears is near perfect: in pacing, in timing, subtle use of rubato, in orchestral play, the precision, the colors, the keen judgement in when certain instruments should blend, rather than giving every single instrument or instrument group a spotlight or equal weight, and the excellent dynamics.
The recording is somewhat distant and arguably a bit thin at times, I generally prefer a more close-up and textured sound, but still very beautiful.

1652816070448.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back