Best classical recordings...ever!
Mar 21, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #9,076 of 9,368
  For folks (like me!) in the northern hemisphere.

In the context of "Best classical recordings...ever"(As opposed to everything I listen to,for example) here's my favorite recording of The "Spring" symphony. I can't speak to this cd version as the only hard copy I have is the original lp. 

I discovered the Schumann symphonies courtesy of Szell.  I currently have his recordings of them on SACD.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #9,077 of 9,368
I haven't posted here in ages, after starting to play the classical guitar more seriously this year. This classic double album is a great run-through of some of the better guitar-orchestral works of the 20th century. Eduardo Fernandez is really one of the best there is, and it's not easy to get the volume right in a recording of guitar and orchestra. I'm sure there are newer, better quality recordings, but I think the playing here is superb, and frankly the music is great. Also, for the bass-lovers, these Decca albums have a nice bottom end.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #9,080 of 9,368
  I haven't posted here in ages, after starting to play the classical guitar more seriously this year. This classic double album is a great run-through of some of the better guitar-orchestral works of the 20th century. Eduardo Fernandez is really one of the best there is, and it's not easy to get the volume right in a recording of guitar and orchestra. I'm sure there are newer, better quality recordings, but I think the playing here is superb, and frankly the music is great. Also, for the bass-lovers, these Decca albums have a nice bottom end.

Any thoughts on Paco de Lucia`s version?
If you haven`t heard it I`d highly recommend it.

It`s my favorite. It`s much different than this version though.

Notice his posture isn`t very "classical" though.
So beware if you`re interested in posturing 
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #9,082 of 9,368

I realized I have half of that set from its original release.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #9,084 of 9,368

Should he be more hunched over? Head down?

Many would consider this, Segovia`s, as the archetypal "classical" guitar posture:

Paco de Lucia approached the guitar with a more "flamenco" style(albeit very flexible!).
Many of course would consider flamenco to be the key to Spanish music.I certainly do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back