Best classical recordings...ever!
Feb 24, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #9,062 of 9,368
Thanks for the tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #9,064 of 9,368
  I didn't like the SQ for either Abbado or Dohnanyi's set. Chailly/Leipzig seems excellent in both performance and SQ.

Of my good headphones (Sennheiser HD600, Koss K702, HifiMan HE-400i), I almost always go with the Senns for classical music, which is all I listen to.

As I posted several days ago, Caveat Emptor if you buy the Blu-Ray of the Chailly.  Maybe it's fixed by now.  Maybe.

I listened to some of it on Tidal, and the performance did not inspire to repurchase it (in any format).

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #9,066 of 9,368

Quote:
  Discovered this album. Clara Schumann wrote some exquisite pieces that I'm starting to discover.

http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/10151

​I have clara Schumann Piano Works too on CPO

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #9,067 of 9,368
Of course most of us see through the marketing of musicians involved in classical music. But this guy deserves any fame he gets IMO. I've got his earlier Bach disc and thought it was refreshing, especially his own transcriptions of the Lute sonatas. The recorded sound also helps here.. The harpsichord can sound nightmarish if not recorded right. The sound engineers have went overboard producing a sound that is full warm and dynamic (as dynamic as this instrument can sound) 

This new recording is for look of a better word stupendous. And very brave to have the Bach family recorded on one disc for good or bad. I'm even going to go the extra mile and say that this could bring both Bach purists and the rest.. together to rejoice! 

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #9,068 of 9,368
  Of course most of us see through the marketing of musicians involved in classical music. But this guy deserves any fame he gets IMO. I've got his earlier Bach disc and thought it was refreshing, especially his own transcriptions of the Lute sonatas. The recorded sound also helps here.. The harpsichord can sound nightmarish if not recorded right. The sound engineers have went overboard producing a sound that is full warm and dynamic (as dynamic as this instrument can sound) 

This new recording is for look of a better word stupendous. And very brave to have the Bach family recorded on one disc for good or bad. I'm even going to go the extra mile and say that this could bring both Bach purists and the rest.. together to rejoice! 

Looks interesting. I am only starting to discover CPE Bach's piano solos (Markovina). They're quite good, so far, even rivaling JS.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #9,071 of 9,368

"They're quite good, so far, even rivaling JS"

Please elaborate. CPE was a fine composer IMO but "rivaling".

blink.gif

For folks (like me!) in the northern hemisphere.

In the context of "Best classical recordings...ever"(As opposed to everything I listen to,for example) here's my favorite recording of The "Spring" symphony. I can't speak to this cd version as the only hard copy I have is the original lp. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #9,072 of 9,368

"They're quite good, so far, even rivaling JS"

Please elaborate. CPE was a fine composer IMO but "rivaling".

blink.gif

If you like CPE Bach his double concertos are very fine IMO. Especially his concerto for fortepiano and harpsichord. Good clean fun!
Might be problematic for those with HIP issues however.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #9,073 of 9,368

If you like CPE Bach his double concertos are very fine IMO. Especially his concerto for fortepiano and harpsichord. Good clean fun!

I am allergic to harpsi and to fortepiano.
My doctor says earplugs are the only remedy for recordings containing these instruments.

Now if I can find these same pieces on modern pianos.....

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #9,075 of 9,368
  There are excellent recordings of the (single) piano concertos by Michael Rische on Hanssler Classics, on a modern piano.

Thanks, will check them out.

Listened to several selections from Markovina's CPE Bach solo piano box set (I dowloaded 15 select tracks from iTunes last wk), very very nice on my floor system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back