Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #8,537 of 9,368
Listening to the Richter 1961 recording of Bach's Mass in B-Minor. It's technically quite good and very grand (even gives me chills at certain points), but I still feel the need to re-listen to the more intimate Andrew Parrot version. I also have the 2014 Jonathan Cohen set in Hi-Rez, but I'm not a huge fan, for some reason. 

On my wish list are the two Gardiner recordings, first on Archive and now on SDG, as well as the CPO Danish recording with Mortensen as conductor. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #8,539 of 9,368

Giving a Listen to Beethoven strin quartets with ABQ nice sound

I gifted this set to my father earlier in the year. Listened to the box set extensively during the summer vacation with him.
Certain parts send shivers down the spine... wow

One issue I noticed was the first violin's prominence. It sounded too much like it wanted to dominate everywhere and all the time. I'm not sure if it was the crappy motor home stereo, mastering or just their style..

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #8,540 of 9,368
  Isabell Faust and Alexander Melinokovt-Beethoven: Complete sonatas for piano and violin.

whoever did the mixing/set up the mics really didn't know how to get the most out of the violin on that recording, that sounded really unbalanced on my cans. pity.

Bach Violin concerto in A - minor BWV 1041 Movt Allegro Assai [excellent recording] I know minor scales get a bad rep for being miserable, but this work elegantly bounces along, ornamentation is superb...THIS is how you do baroque.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #8,541 of 9,368
I gifted this set to my father earlier in the year. Listened to the box set extensively during the summer vacation with him.

One issue I noticed was the first violin's prominence. It sounded too much like it wanted to dominate everywhere and all the time. I'm not sure if it was the crappy motor home stereo, mastering or just their style..

Will give a more detailed listening thanks for the tip, will check it out with my rig

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #8,542 of 9,368
Not sure if these have made it into the other 569 pages of posts yet:

1) Bach - The Goldberg Variations (Glenn Gould)
2) Beethoven – Late String Quartets (Busch Quartet)
3) Bartòk - String Quartets (Tokyo Quartet)
4) Bach - The Cello Suites (Pablo Casals)
5) Debussy & Ravel – String Quartets (Alban Berg Quartet)
6) Stravinsky - Rite of Spring (Sir Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra)
7) Shostakovich - String Quartets (Emerson String Quartet)

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #8,543 of 9,368
  I like to think it's a combo of miking (rec engineering) and violin make. Grumiaux's recs (Phillips?) have always sounded pleasant, not bright, on my system. His Mozart Violin Ctos (Davis conducting) are among my favs for those pieces -- lush strings.

Grumiaux was a very gentlemanly violinist, both in his demeanor and his playing. That's my favorite set for the violin concerti. His performance of the 3d gets it just right.

Which other Mozart 3d violin concerti do you particularly enjoy?

Does anybody have Kovacevich's LVB sonata cycle? Is it worth getting?

Not if his Beethoven concerti with Davis are anything to go by. They made absolutely no impression on me.

For a more tragic story, I was just reading about Van Cliburn (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/arts/music/van-cliburn-pianist-dies-at-78.html). He wasn't that familiar to me, and neither did I ever hear about him from anyone in my parent's generation. 

Still, this 1958 performance of Rachmaninoff in Moscow by the American "Van" Cliburn stands as one of the most interesting cultural moments in classical music of the 20th century. As a young Texan he won the hearts of the people of Russia at the height of the Cold War, and achieved instant fame in the US only to decline just a few years later. The recording quality is not amazing, but the video is worth watching to gain an appreciation for the obsessive popularity of classical music at that time. 

Cliburn is shamefully underrated nowadays. In his prime, he really was a great pianist. I think his Beethoven is his best work -- not the barnburners he's usually associated with, though he played those quite well too. See if you can find his Beethoven 3d concerto with Ormandy. Ormandy isn't really up to the job, but I still think it's the third-best recording of the piece (after Fleisher/Szell and Gould/Karajan). His other Beethoven records are all very good too, as are his Brahms.

does anyone recommend me some good classical musics which cure my depressive symptom?
I have been suffered mental illness (mainly depression) for years.
stimulus classical musics are better for me. many thanks.

Wishing you well.

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #8,544 of 9,368

Grumiaux was a very gentlemanly violinist, both in his demeanor and his playing. That's my favorite set for the violin concerti. His performance of the 3d gets it just right.

Which other Mozart 3d violin concerti do you particularly enjoy?

Perlman/Levine VPO. Levine has a flair for Mozart, and Perlman isn't as showy as some others like Mutter. But Grumiaux still is the best.
Mutter did a divine 3rd in her early years with BPO. Her string tone was exqusite in that one; her later version with the Lond Phil isn't as good imo.

I haven't listened to any of the current gen violinists like Jansen, Faust, etc.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #8,545 of 9,368

Will give a more detailed listening thanks for the tip, will check it out with my rig
yup there is this violin wanting to steal the show

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #8,548 of 9,368
A rather interesting instrument, sounds like a cello, Haydn complete baryton trios, octets and miscellaneous pieces the instrument has sympathetic strings that can be also plucked rather interesting sound

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #8,549 of 9,368
yup there is this violin wanting to steal the show

It is quite effective in certain parts - as I said, the chills down my spine. It does become quite noticeable as the listening continues through the set.
I still really enjoy their recordings.

Just heard the news.

Sir Neville Marriner has passed, aged 92.  I will treasure his Mozart orchestral recordings.

Yeah, came across the news last night... sad news indeed.

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #8,550 of 9,368
A rather interesting instrument, sounds like a cello, Haydn complete baryton trios, octets and miscellaneous pieces the instrument has sympathetic strings that can be also plucked rather interesting sound

It is called a Viol, or in those times referred to as a Viola Da Gamba. It is an early fretted string instrument commonly played in court the early baroque era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back