Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 15, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #7,141 of 9,368
  I hate Beethoven's 6th symphonLOL the pastorale dont know why, esp ihate that movement i think is called pastorale or so

It's sweet and mellow.

Well now I'm not sure you deserve it, Mr. Hates Hammers.

Hates Hammers? You mean the Hammerklavier sonata?

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #7,143 of 9,368
maxresdefault.jpg

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #7,145 of 9,368

Petra Lang does a stunning performance of 'O Mensch, gib acht' in the 3rd, the soloist and chorus' of the 8th are very good (which is often only so so)..also the 1st, 4th and 9th are very good IMO.. All the criticisms on Chailly's Mahler are just white noise to me
biggrin.gif

I reckon Chailly's 3rd with the Concertgebouw is one of the greatest recordings of anything ever. Its magnificent from beginning to end.

But their 9th.... I think they were on mogadon that day.  I just find it slow & dull.  

Interestingly (well kind of) I saw the Concertgebouw perform Mahler's 9th in 2013 with Daniele Gatti, who has recently been appointed their new chief conductor to replace Mariss Jansons. Oh dear.... wasn't much better, just seemed to skate over the surface. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #7,147 of 9,368

Interestingly (well kind of) I saw the Concertgebouw perform Mahler's 9th in 2013 with Daniele Gatti, who has recently been appointed their new chief conductor to replace Mariss Jansons. Oh dear.... wasn't much better, just seemed to skate over the surface. 

Gatti did a very good Mahler 5th with the Royal Philharmonic on RCA.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #7,148 of 9,368

My favorite 9th right now

Do you know the story about Bernstein's 9th with the Berlin Philharmonic? Apparently, an audience member dropped dead of a cardiac arrest sometime in the last (or penultimate?) mvt, and the trombonists missed their cue as a result. On disc, too.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #7,151 of 9,368
  I hate Beethoven's 6th symphonLOL the pastorale dont know why, esp ihate that movement i think is called pastorale or so

biggrin.gif
 You're most definitely not alone in that view ... I read somewhere of Debussy saying he would rather see the "sun rise" than listen to the Pastoral ...

I dare say Beethoven would probably agree given how much he is said to have loved nature. I think the symphony stands out stylistically among the others in that it is love song. No holds barred on sentimentality and devotion, which turns a lot of people off. I will admit that I'm a sucker for that soppiness
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm mostly drawn to the beautiful melodic phrases, unbridled joy and contentment. In the context LvB's knowledge of his failing health at the time it's an insight to the man beyond his caricature of a grumpy old sod. It is definitely sweet and mellow, but something more profound beyond that too. My favourite symphony of his.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #7,153 of 9,368

biggrin.gif
 You're most definitely not alone in that view ... I read somewhere of Debussy saying he would rather see the "sun rise" than listen to the Pastoral ...

I dare say Beethoven would probably agree given how much he is said to have loved nature. I think the symphony stands out stylistically among the others in that it is love song. No holds barred on sentimentality and devotion, which turns a lot of people off. I will admit that I'm a sucker for that soppiness
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm mostly drawn to the beautiful melodic phrases, unbridled joy and contentment. In the context LvB's knowledge of his failing health at the time it's an insight to the man beyond his caricature of a grumpy old sod. It is definitely sweet and mellow, but something more profound beyond that too. My favourite symphony of his.

Chopin made quite disparaging comments about Beethoven calling his works coarse, vulgar and so on 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #7,154 of 9,368

I reckon Chailly's 3rd with the Concertgebouw is one of the greatest recordings of anything ever. Its magnificent from beginning to end.

But their 9th.... I think they were on mogadon that day.  I just find it slow & dull.  

Sad to hear, I personally didn't like Jansons'Mahler that much (his 8th was horrible) but have (had?) high hopes for Gatti..

hmm I'm in a good mood today, I'm gonna give him some time
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #7,155 of 9,368
  Chopin made quite disparaging comments about Beethoven calling his works coarse, vulgar and so on 
biggrin.gif

he had no shame

Do you know the story about Bernstein's 9th with the Berlin Philharmonic? Apparently, an audience member dropped dead of a cardiac arrest sometime in the last (or penultimate?) mvt, and the trombonists missed their cue as a result. On disc, too.

Hope they fired his @ss
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back