Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 21, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #6,046 of 9,368
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check them out promptly. May I ask what renditions of Brahms 4 and Tchaikovsky 6 that you find exceptional? I'm always looking for more!

Brahms 4th: Reiner, RPO. Szell, Cleveland.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some of your guys' favourite works. As for me, I find myself always returning to Brahms Piano Concerto no. 2 and Brahms Violin Concerto as favourites. Any suggestions?

Richter with Leinsdorf, Chicago.
Schnabel with Boult, BBC.
Fischer with Furtwängler, Berlin.

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #6,047 of 9,368

What's great is that you have enough DIRs to make another desert island, and have room to bring even more music with you 
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

----

In all seriousness though, love the site! You like the Staatskappelle Dresden too! I've only heard their Beethoven. Will check out their Mozart and Schubert, cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. That site took a while to compile, and will continue to do so, as "new" recordings pass thru here.
beerchug.gif

One of these days, I shall see the Staatsk. Dresden in concert. It's just that they don't tour N.A. like the Vienna Phil does every year.
frown.gif

Strangely, the Drezzies aren't known for Mahler -- Sinopoli did a few, that's all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna get the Brahms 4th, by Szell Clev. It's really cheap. That's one I don't have yet.

I love Szell's Beethoven, and Mozart Pf Ctos with Casadesus. Brahms should be a breeze for him.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #6,049 of 9,368
Anyway, I'd like to hear some of your guys' favourite works. As for me, I find myself always returning to Brahms Piano Concerto no. 2 and Brahms Violin Concerto as favourites. Any suggestions?

These things can change quite a lot over time. Like a lot of people, I started with Romantic orchestral music. Then after a few years it was modern music (from Prokofiev to Schnittke, basically). Now I am all about classical chamber music (defined rather flexibly - a lot of classical orchestral has a chamber quality, and the classical style lingered at least till Mendelssohn's death).

To pick a few works from each period (without actually looking at my collection):

Brahms Symphony 4
Dvorak Symphony 8
Bruckner Symphony 4 and 9 (completed)
Kalinnikov Symphony 1
Mahler Symphony 3 and 7
Vaughan Williams Symphony 1, 7, 8
Barber Symphony 1 & Essays for orchestra

Prokofiev All the symphonies, pretty much. Piano concerto 2. October Cantata
Shostakovich (most of the instrumental music ; can't narrow it down at this point)
Schnittke Piano Quintet, Concerto Grosso 1
Terterian Symphony 3 and 4
Godar Cello Sonata
(feel like I've forgotten some)

Schubert Piano Sonatas D537, D664, D960, String Quartets 3 (D36) and the last three. Symphony 3 and 9.
Mozart (bit hard to judge as still evaluating) Late String Quartets, esp. the Dm and the last four. String Quintets, esp. the G minor. Requiem. The orchestral serenades are all good value.
Haydn Still evaluating - there are so many symphonies and quartets! (I haven't even begun on the piano trios.)
Mendelssohn String quartets, plus Op.81 Nos. 1 and 3.
Schumann String Quartets (an unpopular choice, I know)
Tchaikovsky String Quartets 1 and 3
Dvorak String quartets Slavonic and G major

I notice you don't have Mahler's 10th in your list of symphonies owned... :confused:
_

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #6,051 of 9,368
I notice you don't have Mahler's 10th in your list of symphonies owned... :confused:

Is there a completion you favor?

It's hard to compare completions because the performance is so important in determining its success. I'll say I was not impressed by Wheeler or Barshai (though his use of percussion was interesting). Rattle/BPO doing Cooke III remains my reference.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #6,052 of 9,368
I notice you don't have Mahler's 10th in your list of symphonies owned...
confused.gif

_

Yes, it's usually buried within my complete sets, that's why I didn't list it. Musically, I don't think that it bears comparison to Mahler's top-rank symphs before it. It's too bad he did not finish it. (Then again, Schubert's "Unfinished" symphony is considered a gem by many. Fame is fickle).

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #6,053 of 9,368

Is there a completion you favor?

Mahler's 10th. I do have Bernstein (NY Phil), Haitink (Conc'gbw), and Bertini (coming soon). Not sure which is my fav. Honestly, I don't listen to it often enough.

Beethoven's 10th by Weller is very interesting. As is Schubert's 10th by Mackerras/Scots

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #6,056 of 9,368
I just discovered this part of the forum and came by invitation...with thanks!
Aside from nearly all Classical music, I am particularly drawn to composers from the 20th and this Century. Sophia Gubaidulina is one whose works have captured me, especially her Offertorium played by Gidon Kremer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_rWvfVugi0

and one of her later CD collection of her Complete Guitar Works...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTknfanW7I

Both of these are stellar performances. This kind of Classical music resonates strongly with me even though at the same time Bach, Mozart, Beethoven et al do too. I guess I tippy-toe here because many people I know hate the music by Gubaidulina, Dutillieux and the like. Nonetheless I will press on as time goes by with my favourites from all Classical music and hopefully I will find others who have similar tastes, especially for the music of 20th and 21st C composers.

Cheers
Leo

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #6,057 of 9,368
  I just discovered this part of the forum and came by invitation...with thanks!
Aside from nearly all Classical music, I am particularly drawn to composers from the 20th and this Century. Sophia Gubaidulina is one whose works have captured me, especially her Offertorium played by Gidon Kremer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_rWvfVugi0

and one of her later CD collection of her Complete Guitar Works...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTknfanW7I

Both of these are stellar performances. This kind of Classical music resonates strongly with me even though at the same time Bach, Mozart, Beethoven et al do too. I guess I tippy-toe here because many people I know hate the music by Gubaidulina, Dutillieux and the like. Nonetheless I will press on as time goes by with my favourites from all Classical music and hopefully I will find others who have similar tastes, especially for the music of 20th and 21st C composers.

Cheers
Leo

Welcome Leo! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #6,059 of 9,368

Cheers
Leo

Welcome as well from my side. And, no hate here 
wink.gif
Particularly enjoy all Gubaidulina's pieces for bayan, a Russian version of accordion. The Seven Last Words, Silencio, De Profundis....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back