Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 15, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #5,927 of 9,368

Pierlot belonged to the old school of oboe playing, softer and mellow sounding. Like a tube amp. But in last 50-60 years the orchestras were getting louder and louder, many orchestra instruments were pumped up for the volume. Holliger modernized oboe's sound to accommodate to the new taste, sounding leaner, but more robust, more penetrating in the halls. Like SS amps.
Probably your father was leaning to the old school, and that was the sound which stayed in your memory. And new recordings got this modern, powerful but leaner sound. 

If you would like to keep with oboists, you should definitely check Albrecht Mayer and François Leleux, both velvety-soft sounding. I particularly enjoy Leleux's recordings.

"Like SS amps."  Do I detect a little swipe at SS Amps Vs Glow bulb Amps???
biggrin.gif

Guys this thread is racing ahead - me can't keep up!

How do you rate this guy? - any other Pianists that you rate highly in the past ten years as I am seeking high sound quality stuff?

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #5,928 of 9,368
Dean Martin recorded some classic songs, sounding like he was definitely drunk.  :eek:

----------------------------------

Anybody here heard the CD set by Fourier and Kempff, Beethoven Cello/Piano pieces? Recommended?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000001GY1?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1FQQC2QSR09MD

Especially in his duetts with Frank Sinatra :wink:

---------------------------------------------------------

Have that CD, some of the very best cello playing, good sound, definitely in the 100 Best list. Only I am not a fan of the variations, too much cliché, but definitely worth for the sonatas.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #5,929 of 9,368
@LightMan:  Barenboim is a bit inconsistent -- his ego in later recs gets in the way of performing pieces as faithfully as the composer may have specified in the scores. Other great pianists: Kempff, Brendel, Gilels, Solomon, Gulda, Arrau, for Beeth Sonatas.

@DJBobby: Yes, I agree -- Beeth's variations are too dull for my tastes.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #5,930 of 9,368
biggrin.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you rate this guy? - any other Pianists that you rate highly in the past ten years as I am seeking high sound quality stuff?

"All amps appearing in this comment are fictitious. Any resemblance to real electronic components, tubes or SS, is purely coincidental." 
smily_headphones1.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should maybe start with Daniil Trifonov and Olga Scheps, and then stay for a while with Russians like Kissin, Matsuev, Berezovsky, Lugansky, Lifschitz, Kobrin....

and maybe then go on with some Helénè Grimaud, Blechacz, Thibaudet, Hamelin, Fazil Say, Schiff...

Not that I like them all equally, but these are some of the more interesting names in the last 10 years.  

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #5,931 of 9,368

You should maybe start with Daniil Trifonov and Olga Scheps, and then stay for a while with Russians like Kissin, Matsuev, Berezovsky, Lugansky, Lifschitz, Kobrin....

and maybe then go on with some Helénè Grimaud, Blechacz, Thibaudet, Hamelin, Fazil Say, Schiff...

Not that I like them all equally, but these are some of the more interesting names in the last 10 years.  

For Beethoven's sonatas?  
eek.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #5,932 of 9,368

For Beethoven's sonatas?  
eek.gif

Where does he say for Beethoven sonatas only? He wrote -  "any other Pianists that you rate highly in the past ten years as I am seeking high sound quality stuff?". 
So my opinion was general, according to: 1) any pianist, 2) past 10 years and 3) high sound quality (newer recordings).

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5,933 of 9,368

"All amps appearing in this comment are fictitious. Any resemblance to real electronic components, tubes or SS, is purely coincidental." 
smily_headphones1.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniil Trifonov (not enough depth to his interpretations, I am sure he will become a lot more insightful over time) (I studied under the same teacher as he did)
Kissin (technically excellent, just his interpretations feel contrived at times, was a child phenomenon, declined ever since)
Matsuev (Looks like Gilels, can't play like Gilels)
Problem with a lot of these child prodigies, they either burn out or never develop profound insightful playing like many others.

Grimaud is OK....... She has been ill as of late, and her technique has declined a lot
biggrin.gif

Guys this thread is racing ahead - me can't keep up!

If you want excellent sound quality and first rate pianists

try Leif Ove Andsnes, Grigory Sokolov, Brendel, Arcadi Volodos, Pires, Radu Lupu, Perahia. Radu hasn't released any albums as of late, but his recordings are still very HQ. Andsnes' recordings are so incredibly life like.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #5,934 of 9,368
  Daniil Trifonov (not enough depth to his interpretations, I am sure he will become a lot more insightful over time) (I studied under the same teacher as he did)
Kissin (technically excellent, just his interpretations feel contrived at times, was a child phenomenon, declined ever since)
Matsuev (Looks like Gilels, can't play like Gilels)
Problem with a lot of these child prodigies, they either burn out or never develop profound insightful playing like many others.

Grimaud is OK....... She has been ill as of late, and her technique has declined a lot
If you want excellent sound quality and first rate pianists

try Leif Ove Andsnes, Grigory Sokolov, Brendel, Arcadi Volodos, Pires, Radu Lupu, Perahia. Radu hasn't released any albums as of late, but his recordings are still very HQ. Andsnes' recordings are so incredibly life like.

I was listing generally all the "younger" names on the table to watch for. Of course it would be impossible to like them all, tastes are different.
Trifonov is still very, very young, so there is plenty of time ahead for him to develop. Btw, may I ask who was your common teacher?

As for Kissin, I have heard him 2 years ago with Scriabin, and I could't find any decline, he was right on the spot. Have I heard some better Scriabin? Yes, sure, by Sokolov. But I didn't in any way regret attending Kissin's concert, as I was for example regretting with Pogorelich's. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #5,935 of 9,368
any other Pianists that you rate highly in the past ten years as I am seeking high sound quality stuff?

If you want a complete set, Schiff maybe. If you're willing to go a little earlier, Richard Goode.

He definitely had some growing pains, including the worst Moonlight sonata I've ever heard (bad imitation of Horowitz when he was on drugs). But he also made some pleasantly straightforward records such as a Mozart 20th piano concerto and especially:

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #5,936 of 9,368

Where does he say for Beethoven sonatas only? He wrote -  "any other Pianists that you rate highly in the past ten years as I am seeking high sound quality stuff?". 
So my opinion was general, according to: 1) any pianist, 2) past 10 years and 3) high sound quality (newer recordings).

His post was a video of a Beeth sonata by Barenboim. I assumed he was after some Beeth keymeisters.....

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #5,937 of 9,368

I was listing generally all the "younger" names on the table to watch for. Of course it would be impossible to like them all, tastes are different.
Trifonov is still very, very young, so there is plenty of time ahead for him to develop. Btw, may I ask who was your common teacher?

As for Kissin, I have heard him 2 years ago with Scriabin, and I could't find any decline, he was right on the spot. Have I heard some better Scriabin? Yes, sure, by Sokolov. But I didn't in any way regret attending Kissin's concert, as I was for example regretting with Pogorelich's. 

I studied for a year under Natasha Vinagradova at the conservatoire during my gap year and I also had a few lessons with zelikman at gnessin 

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #5,939 of 9,368

Hats off! So you were living in Moscow for a while, any other "not yet in the west known" pianists to watch for?

Yup I was there for a year. The thing is there are sooooo many young pianists that are exceptionally gifted when it comes to technique. But then the interpretive insight, one can never predict how certain individuals are going to develop in that regard. In addition to that, the way the competitions are ran, it's not often the most musical individuals that are propelled into stardom but the ones who appeals to the audience.

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #5,940 of 9,368

His post was a video of a Beeth sonata by Barenboim. I assumed he was after some Beeth keymeisters.....

May I ask you something very different: how is that it shows that you are always offline but you post comments? Also your profile is the only one which doesn't show when you've been last online? Very curious how do you make it 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back