Best classical recordings...ever!
Mar 28, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #3,227 of 9,368
  Bach is the God of music :D

I miss your 'I'll be Bach' avatar
smily_headphones1.gif

but of course your current one is lovely.

I see you're active in the photography thread. I posted a few pics there last year, but just haven't got round to using my camera since. Looks like you're really into it - my tastes run to nature/natural scenery and you've some beautiful shots of those. My current avatar is also from the batch I took then
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #3,229 of 9,368
  Bach is the God of music :D

Surely music existed before Bach?
(I'm not much of theologian, but I seem to remember something like: "in the beginning there was nothing except God")

Anywhoo, I've been lurking this thread for years soaking up you guys' knowledge, greatly appreciating it.
The mentioning of Boulez reminded me about a bunch of Webern, conducted by Boulez, I've got lying around. Great stuff. Guess it's time for me to check out some of the old bugger's own compositions.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #3,230 of 9,368
It took me 25 years to get to the point where I understood Bach... and I'm still just figuring it out. Bach is the Mount Everest of music. So many levels operating at once!

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #3,231 of 9,368

I miss your 'I'll be Bach' avatar
smily_headphones1.gif

but of course your current one is lovely.

I see you're active in the photography thread. I posted a few pics there last year, but just haven't got round to using my camera since. Looks like you're really into it - my tastes run to nature/natural scenery and you've some beautiful shots of those. My current avatar is also from the batch I took then
biggrin.gif

Nice photo! And yes I'm really enjoying it buddy :)

I must be an atheist, then 
evil_smiley.gif

Noooo, you just haven't found God yet :wink:

Surely music existed before Bach?
(I'm not much of theologian, but I seem to remember something like: "in the beginning there was nothing except God")

Anywhoo, I've been lurking this thread for years soaking up you guys' knowledge, greatly appreciating it.
The mentioning of Boulez reminded me about a bunch of Webern, conducted by Boulez, I've got lying around. Great stuff. Guess it's time for me to check out some of the old bugger's own compositions.

Haha, and yes his own compositions are worth anyones time and effort. Maybe try Pli Selon Pli and this recent release of Derive was well received by the critics and I love it.

It took me 25 years to get to the point where I understood Bach... and I'm still just figuring it out. Bach is the Mount Everest of music. So many levels operating at once!

Indeed indeed! 

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #3,232 of 9,368
Speaking of Bach, I stumbled upon complete organ works, played by James Kibbie http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/kibbie.htm , available as free download (AAC 256 , 1.96 GB prior to unzipping ):

http://www.openculture.com/2011/11/a_big_bach_download_the_complete_organ_works_free.html

From the above links, you will be able to reach info on the venues/organ instruments used, etc, etc - I am thankful so much music and information is available for free - trough generous gift of the widow of : http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/sloat.htm

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #3,234 of 9,368
“The final aim and reason of all music is nothing other than the glorification of God and the refreshment of the spirit.” - J. S. Bach

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #3,235 of 9,368
  “The final aim and reason of all music is nothing other than the glorification of God and the refreshment of the spirit.” - J. S. Bach

Written, of course, by a human being.
The same human being that wrote so much tremendous music.

I have no problem with people`s faith but lots of awful things have been done within the context of "the glorification of God".
Luckily for us, Bach was a nice guy 
smile.gif

That being said, It`s hard to underestimate the role of Christian history in the development of serious music in the West.....

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #3,236 of 9,368

...It`s hard to underestimate the role of Christian history in the development of serious music in the West.....

That is so correct, and usually ignored and misunderstood. When the church goes, western culture is going right along side. We've already seen it to a large extent. The church in the USA used to be a big deal in communities large and small.  A significant proportion of the population attended on Sunday. That's all been changing for the last 50+ years, and classical music, which once had a greater import in our culture, has declined in popularity ever since. Churches used to use organs, and at least tried to present high quality music. No more - now it's drum sets, guitars and pop songs in the church. When my church gave in to pop music, some of us complained. The pastor simply said "no body except you snobs like that boring opera stuff nowadays." Needless to say, I left taking my checkbook with me. There are thankfully some churches that support classics in letting orchestras and other groups use their facilities, but frankly, in another generation or two classical music will be dead in the USA just as the churches will no longer be of any significance. You can thank the selfish, inconsiderate generation of the 60s.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #3,237 of 9,368

I'm still young I guess, just 27, but I've been conditioned to believe that Beethoven is the Mt. Everest of music (or Olympus Mons if we ever settle on Mars 
tongue.gif
). I love these sort of debates 
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #3,239 of 9,368
  That is so correct, and usually ignored and misunderstood. When the church goes, western culture is going right along side. We've already seen it to a large extent. The church in the USA used to be a big deal in communities large and small.  A significant proportion of the population attended on Sunday. That's all been changing for the last 50+ years, and classical music, which once had a greater import in our culture, has declined in popularity ever since. Churches used to use organs, and at least tried to present high quality music. No more - now it's drum sets, guitars and pop songs in the church. When my church gave in to pop music, some of us complained. The pastor simply said "no body except you snobs like that boring opera stuff nowadays." Needless to say, I left taking my checkbook with me. There are thankfully some churches that support classics in letting orchestras and other groups use their facilities, but frankly, in another generation or two classical music will be dead in the USA just as the churches will no longer be of any significance. You can thank the selfish, inconsiderate generation of the 60s.

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back