Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 17, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #2,461 of 9,368
I once heard the late Earl Wild's protege, a 10 year old named Albert Wong, play the Hummel Rondo with real Golden Age flair. Now I see he's recorded the Bible, oh, and some Clementi sonatas. I wonder how he turned out.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #2,462 of 9,368
Speaking of the Well Tempered Clavier, Ralph Kirkpatrick recorded a pretty fantastic version on clavichord. His is one of my more often played versions.

[VIDEO] Bach / Ralph Kirkpatrick, 1959: Prelude and Fugue…: http://youtu.be/QXgAAlmy_iA[/VIDEO]

His versions of both books are very well regarded. I probably don't listen to any book 2 more than his. (And I have several competing versions) Kirkpatrick is also quite well known for his Scarlatti sonatas on harpsichord which i also enjoy. The other major clavichord WTK version that I hear about, but have yet to hear for myself is Tilney for those interested. (maybe no one..)

An interesting version of Bach's Brandenburgs I have yet to see mentioned are Goebel's. They are one of the more standard recommendations for Bach Brandenburgs. Have heard them called "Bach on Speed". I myself have never heard them being too addicted to Jordi Savall's masterful rendition.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #2,463 of 9,368
'Best classical recording.... ever!'

This DG 50 cd box just came in, maybe it's in here??
rolleyes.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #2,465 of 9,368

Gorgeous melodies.

I've had this recording for well over 10 years, and only recently found it in among boxes of old cds and cassettes. I've seen amazon reviews which are somewhat lukewarm towards the record, in particular with regards to the simplicity of the composition. I feel this disregards the exquisite beauty of the music (sections of concerto no.9 makes me ache for it). Its melodies seem to flow seamlessly like water and certain sections remind me of Beethoven's pastoral of which I am extremely fond of.

Edit: Elaborated on the reasons for my fondness of the record. Original post which was the first line of this post came across as somewhat flippant and uninformative so apologies.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,466 of 9,368

rolleyes.gif

Can you send a link to where you bought it from? 

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #2,467 of 9,368

rolleyes.gif

No one ever got fired for buying DG, and DG is my goto label for Beethoven and modern/contemporary music, but right now I can't think of many "best" Bach recordings on DG... perhaps Fournier Cello Suites or Gardiner St John Passion? I hope they included them!

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,468 of 9,368
This is a lovely Schumann disc from the hands of Maria Joao Pires. She has only recorded a select number of works of Schumann and this is a bit of a shame imo. Her forte is normally Chopin and Mozart. Her touch is highly sensual and romantic and this works marvelously with Schumanns slower pieces. But I also like her energy and timing in the more bipolic parts. This comes highly recommended if you haven't heard it or want an introduction into Schumann's piano world.
I've always had a soft spot for Schumann's piano works, even the later pieces (the earlier works are normally accepted as being better before he became ill). I've already recommended Claudio Arrau as the Schumann champ and is still my choice for reference recordings.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #2,470 of 9,368
No one ever got fired for buying DG, and DG is my goto label for Beethoven and modern/contemporary music, but right now I can't think of many "best" Bach recordings on DG... perhaps Fournier Cello Suites or Gardiner St John Passion? I hope they included them!

The Karl Richer records are great; Pinnock's harpsichord concerti are very good and I enjoy Simon Preston's organizing (lol).

A chunk of the box is Gardiner cantatas and Kenneth Gilbert harpsichord records--not to my taste but I can see someone else liking it. It has the two you mentioned.

It's the sort of set I could see myself recommending to a couple of my non-collector friends who already like Bach, so it's worth knowing about.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #2,471 of 9,368
Does anyone here own the Westminster Legacy box set(s)?

From my research, there is a cheaper but less extensive DG label box set (approx. £80). There are also two much more expensive, but more extensive Universal classics label box sets. Just wondering whether it's worth saving up for the latter two instead (amazon uk sells them for approx. £200 & £260).

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #2,472 of 9,368
The Karl Richer records are great; Pinnock's harpsichord concerti are very good and I enjoy Simon Preston's organizing (lol).

A chunk of the box is Gardiner cantatas and Kenneth Gilbert harpsichord records--not to my taste but I can see someone else liking it. It has the two you mentioned.

It's the sort of set I could see myself recommending to a couple of my non-collector friends who already like Bach, so it's worth knowing about.

The Richter recordings are classic.
Also classic are  Walcha's Organ recordings.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Milstein's Sonatas and Partitas are on DG as well.
I'm very tired at the moment but I'm sure there are other fantastic recordings....

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #2,473 of 9,368
  The Richter recordings are classic.
Also classic are  Walcha's Organ recordings.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Milstein's Sonatas and Partitas are on DG as well.
I'm very tired at the moment but I'm sure there are other fantastic recordings....

Not completely unrelated, and I'm not trying to brag or high jack the thread or anything, but just asking a question. I have seats to see Beethoven's Fifth Symphony performed by the Houston Symphony on Friday, Nov. 14 at Jones Hall in Houston, Texas (USA), with seats H 1 & 2, so essentially H rows above the conductor, dead-center. In a hall like Jones Hall, is that one of the ideal places to sit to fully absorb the incredible musical, emotional and ethereal power of a great symphonic work? I'm not saying that other seats aren't equal in their own unique perspective of the orchestra, but is slightly up dead center ideal in a concert hall of great size?

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #2,474 of 9,368
Well, ... that obviously depends on the hall acoustics, where you get the most balanced direct sound from the orchestra/stage and reflections from the back and the sides. It can be very odd in some areas. I have never been to Houston and haven't heard any recording made in that hall. You'll have to hear for yourself. Enjoy and let us know. And usually within certain limits, performance is more important than sound
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #2,475 of 9,368
  Well, ... that obviously depends on the hall acoustics, where you get the most balanced direct sound from the orchestra/stage and reflections from the back and the sides. It can be very odd in some areas. I have never been to Houston and haven't heard any recording made in that hall. You'll have to hear for yourself. Enjoy and let us know. And usually within certain limits, performance is more important than sound
wink.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself. Yes all halls are different but being central is always an obvious bonus. Being near the front can be more exciting, but being further back can give you a more balanced surround sound, sometimes right at the back can sound great depending on the size of the hall. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back