Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #991 of 9,368
Heifetz

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #993 of 9,368
Would it be a nice idea if at least all the more experienced collectors here would name one recording that they consider to be the 'best recording of anything ever'?

(I would have to think a while to decide what mine would be.)

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #994 of 9,368
  Would it be a nice idea if at least all the more experienced collectors here would name one recording that they consider to be the 'best recording of anything ever'?

(I would have to think a while to decide what mine would be.)

Indeed, great suggestion!

Not an easy task but here is my big time favorite classical cd out of my 1000+ collection..

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #995 of 9,368
Just want to drop MHO about the 100 list....

2 cases deserve a better discussion:

Dvorak 9th - Kubelik (list) vs Reiner (from the Living Stereo)
Mahler 5th - Barbirolli/NYO is better than Bernstein/VPO?

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #997 of 9,368
  There's certainly quite a few of those that I would considerable indispensable. (And some that wouldn't make my list. For instance, there are definitely better versions of Salome than Solti's.) But that's the thing, there are so many great recordings that it's quite easy not just to come up with Top 100s, but even Top 1000s. (But then again, I'm a collector, so I might be the wrong person to ask. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 )

I agree completely.I just posted those lists because:

1. There are many great and IMO not so great recordings on those lists.
2. It's interesting to see the contrast in opinions on what is regarded as greatest and for me leads me to speculation as to why so and so may think so.
3. It's interesting to see how headfi folks opinions compare.
4. These lists clearly illustrate the depth of the subject at hand.

Also being a long time collector with wide-ranging tastes, widely varying moods and an open mind(IMO) makes top lists among competent competitors with different viewpoints difficult at best.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #998 of 9,368

I agree completely.I just posted those lists because:

1. There are many great and IMO not so great recordings on those lists.
2. It's interesting to see the contrast in opinions on what is regarded as greatest and for me leads me to speculation as to why so and so may think so.
3. It's interesting to see how headfi folks opinions compare.
4. These lists clearly illustrate the depth of the subject at hand.

Also being a long time collector with wide-ranging tastes, widely varying moods and an open mind(IMO) makes top lists among competent competitors with different viewpoints difficult at best.

Of course the concept of "competent" could also be debated....

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,000 of 9,368
Just listening to Tchaikovsky Symphony no6. Leningrad philharmonic/ Mravinsky. Its excellent. Thanks Quinto. I have piano concerto no1 next to go, looking forward to it. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,001 of 9,368

Indeed, great suggestion!

Not an easy task but here is my big time favorite classical cd out of my 1000+ collection..

Soooooo many thanks for the advice.  
beerchug.gif

Can you advice some as good Beethoven/Richter Recordings ?  Concertos or sonatas ? . 

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,003 of 9,368
Dec 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,004 of 9,368
oh its the headphone - obviously  

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,005 of 9,368

Soooooo many thanks for the advice.  
beerchug.gif

Can you advice some as good Beethoven/Richter Recordings ?  Concertos or sonatas ? . 

Cheers mate

There are so darn many Richter Beethoven records out there, his Prague are spectacular, his opus 106 (hammerklavier sonata) is briliant! but his discography is a mess..

Easy this to do is listen fragments on Amazon, Youtube.. His Beethoven is very good, but his character fits Beethoven like a glove ..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back