Best classical recordings...ever!
Nov 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #738 of 9,368
Thanks, will give it a try. My favourite complete Romeo and Juliet is the Maazel/Cleveland one. I also love Muti's Suites from the ballet with the Philadelphia Orchestra. The playing is stunning, just check out the Death of Tybalt!

I got distracted for a few days here, so hopefully this line-of-thought has not expired… Maazel:Cleveland is a great performance, though I must admit to preferring Ozawa:Boston and Gergiev:Kirov (not Gergiev:LSO which is a bit of a train wreck, IMO). Decca's ADD remastering of Maazel's is absolutely incredible, though… Puts plenty of DDD discs to shame…

Currently listening to Maazel's 'Der »Ring« ohne Worte,' and wondering why I tortured myself with Lawrence Renes: Royal Swedish Orchetra's performance of De Vlieger's interpretation on the train the other night instead… (Renes/RSO do a fine job… de Vlieger's condensation of 'Der Ring,' on the other hand…).

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #740 of 9,368
Last weekend I found this gem at a garage sale:

The records were in amazing condition - they looked like they had never spinned before - 3 dollars later, they were mine.  Later that week I saw the same two operas on CD at a music store... each sold separately for $13.99.  Cha-ching.

I've only just finished listening to Cav... Picking up my jaw from the floor right now.  Herbert von and the Scala orchestra are a frantic match made by the devil, and I would rank the cast among my top five of all opera recordings I have ever heard.

Indeed. I am also a happy owner of this piece - in my case iTunes format.

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #741 of 9,368
hi there,

pretty new to classic despite having the souvenir of listenning a lot to it when i was a kid, i'm actually rediscovering some major orchestra.

i'm struggling finding some nice sounding redition of 9th symphony ( beethoven's of course ) and bach orphestra suite (as i love listenning to II air on G) any advices for a young chap? 

regards

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #742 of 9,368
This thread is slowly but surely becoming my favourite thread in all of head-fi.

To the ignorant and uninitiated, enthusiastic, fervent, sometimes even over-zealous comments on the performance or recording of classical music by the cognoscenti really must sound at least like Zulu or Plutonian language - but I like different approaches and reactions to these approaches very much indeed.
Just keep them coming !

I am still fix und fertig from this weekend ( 3 recordings in three places in less than 48 hours ... ) - but just got a mail I would like to share. Linn Records seemingly is making a tradition of possibility of downloading one piece of music every day of the Christmas season FOR FREE - in various resolution of digital PCM, unfortunately no DSD yet. They are starting a bit earlier today, with the possibility to free download an excerpt from Haendel's Mesiah as performed by the Dunedin Consort for five days, till December 1st. Others will be available for a free download for 24 hours only. But they cover pretty much any musical genre from their label, not only classical ( with a HEAVY Scottish accent ...) - so take your pick according to your taste.

http://www.linn.co.uk/christmas?utm_source=Linn+Email&utm_campaign=05fc436671-Linn_Xmas_25_Nov_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_517fad5333-05fc436671-278937253

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #743 of 9,368
Im thinking of ordering this - just finished the documentary for the second time and now i really want to buy this collection.  

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #744 of 9,368
This:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Organ-Works-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000E6UL6I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385411561&sr=8-3&keywords=bach+helmut+walcha

Wonderful, earthy performances, keeping with the theme of Best Classical Recordings.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #745 of 9,368
  hi there,

pretty new to classic despite having the souvenir of listenning a lot to it when i was a kid, i'm actually rediscovering some major orchestra.

i'm struggling finding some nice sounding redition of 9th symphony ( beethoven's of course ) and bach orphestra suite (as i love listenning to II air on G) any advices for a young chap? 

regards

strange, both of them are so wonderful that even less-than-stellar performances, as long as they respect the page, are usually satisfactory. In any case here are a couple of suggestions 

this for me is one of the best compromise between modern(ish) sound and German old-school sensitivity (that for the 9th is a must)

no compromise here: fantastic performance in top sound. It is expensive as a full-price CD/SACD but available e.g. on spotify. If you want a more traditional performance try

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #747 of 9,368

strange, both of them are so wonderful that even less-than-stellar performances, as long as they respect the page, are usually satisfactory. In any case here are a couple of suggestions 

this for me is one of the best compromise between modern(ish) sound and German old-school sensitivity (that for the 9th is a must)

no compromise here: fantastic performance in top sound. It is expensive as a full-price CD/SACD but available e.g. on spotify. If you want a more traditional performance try

I heartily second the Jochum Beethoven 9th, good sound and one of my favorite performances.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #749 of 9,368
When it comes to Bartok, specially his violin music, for me at least, most violinists can evoke a cold landscape feeling. That it absolutely does not have to be the case, was quite a little shock when I heard the first of unfortunately few LPs I managed to procure - by Gyorgy Pauk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gy%C3%B6rgy_Pauk . Here a YT vid of his farewell concert :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back