Best classical recordings...ever!
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #9,032 of 9,368
  and or check your EQer setting of your softwares. boosting some FRQ may cause clippings too.

​I Heard my music FLAT, no EQ and sounds with no clipping, using WM1A + MDR-Z7, speakers can also clip

Ckipping is not from the headphones or speakers, comes more from the DAC/AMP according to Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio) 

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #9,034 of 9,368

Your headphone drivers are probably over-stressed. Listening too loudly, or perhaps time to renew the drivers/HP. Alternatively, check your HP amp.

Saint-Saens 3: Charles Munch/Boston
Mahler 8: Boulez/Staatskapelle Berlin; Solti/Chicago, Vienna Staatsoper Chorus

I don't use any DSP or EQ. Software used are jriver on Windows and Audirvana on Mac, also tried CD player too, got same result.

I has these 2 CDs. They are probably best performance but SQ are OK but not great.

Saint-Saens 3: Charles Munch/Boston, the second movement at the beginning and ending, when organ bass is loud, it has lots of overloading/saturated sound I heard from headphone but not clearly from speaker.

Mahler 8: Boulez/Staatskapelle Berlin; Solti/Chicago, Vienna Staatsoper Chorus, basically the last 30 seconds is unbearable, badly clipped, both heard from earphones and speakers. I believe the originally recording on tape was already bad.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #9,035 of 9,368

I don't use any DSP or EQ. Software used are jriver on Windows and Audirvana on Mac, also tried CD player too, got same result.

I has these 2 CDs. They are probably best performance but SQ are OK but not great.

Saint-Saens 3: Charles Munch/Boston, the second movement at the beginning and ending, when organ bass is loud, it has lots of overloading/saturated sound I heard from headphone but not clearly from speaker.

Mahler 8: Boulez/Staatskapelle Berlin; Solti/Chicago, Vienna Staatsoper Chorus, basically the last 30 seconds is unbearable, badly clipped, both heard from earphones and speakers. I believe the originally recording on tape was already bad.

For the Saint-Saëns, you can try the recent recordings on Reference Recordings or the Seattle Symphony's house label, though some say the former sounds too compressed, alas. I also like Guillou's recording with Dallas/Mata on Dorian.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #9,036 of 9,368

The Munch S-S-3 sounds fine on my speakers, as does the Boulez M8. Of course, with Solti and the Chicago M8, the loudest crescendos will sound challenging as the choral forces are massive and will pose a challenge for any engineer with proper mic placement and balancing. Also, it was recorded in the earlier days of digital (even the LP sounded hoarse).

Then again, I rarely use HPs to listen to classical anymore.....

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #9,038 of 9,368
A week or so ago I suggested Pogorelich's English Suites and decided that I should listen to it again myself.  So I was in a Bach kind of mood when I saw a recommendation for Jory Vinikour's Partitas.  While I generally prefer piano to harpsichord performances, I went for it and am glad I did.  The sound on this 3-CD set is glorious.  Sono Luminus, DSL-92209.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #9,039 of 9,368
  A week or so ago I suggested Pogorelich's English Suites and decided that I should listen to it again myself.  So I was in a Bach kind of mood when I saw a recommendation for Jory Vinikour's Partitas.  While I generally prefer piano to harpsichord performances, I went for it and am glad I did.  The sound on this 3-CD set is glorious.  Sono Luminus, DSL-92209.

Just got Vinikour's Goldbergs on Delos. Also very good.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #9,040 of 9,368
HvK s-s 3 is good to my ear...

Got Levine/Chicago doing Saint Saens' 3rd at 96/24 from Presto (cheap too). The organ was the one at Chartres, which is a magical Gothic cathedral and town -- so some sentimentality here for me. Along with Munch, probably the best version I've heard yet.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #9,043 of 9,368
  Perahia's French Suites are wonderfully performed, and the sound is excellent in the 96/24 downloaded FLAC files (from Prestoclassical).

Second that (unless I've already praised them in this thread, in which case pardon the redundancy).

If you have the Gould French Suites, listen to the performances of the Allemande from the First Suite back to back.  Quite a contrast.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #9,044 of 9,368
Got Levine/Chicago doing Saint Saens' 3rd at 96/24 from Presto (cheap too). The organ was the one at Chartres, which is a magical Gothic cathedral and town -- so some sentimentality here for me. Along with Munch, probably the best version I've heard yet.

Looking on prestoclassical.co.uk and not sure if I'm finding the recording you've recommended. Can you provide a catalog number, upc or other ID number?

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #9,045 of 9,368
Looking on prestoclassical.co.uk and not sure if I'm finding the recording you've recommended. Can you provide a catalog number, upc or other ID number?

Thanks!

Sorry, looks like they've removed it. I bought it earlier this week.

They still have the BPO with Levine, but that's not a good recording imo.

This is the recording I acquired:

https://www.amazon.ca/SAINT-SAENS-SYMPHONY-ORGAN-remaster-reissue/dp/B002GKRTDS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487328502&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=levine+saint+saens+chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back