Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 16, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #8,311 of 9,368

I'm not a huge fan of Gergiev's LSO Mahler recordings, but this is pretty marvelous
eek.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #8,314 of 9,368
Hey all.

I picked up several used classical CDs and have been "going nuts" listening to classical music for a week or so now. I haven't yet ripped them all to my HD, but enjoying them as I go along.

One of special note is Antonin Dvorak "Humoreska". Holy cow this CD is awesome, I have been listening to it over and over gain. The cover looks like this:

I am not sure how well known or popular this disc on here, but I simply cannot get enough of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #8,315 of 9,368
  Hey all.

I picked up several used classical CDs and have been "going nuts" listening to classical music for a week or so now. I haven't yet ripped them all to my HD, but enjoying them as I go along.

One of special note is Antonin Dvorak "Humoreska". Holy cow this CD is awesome, I have been listening to it over and over gain. The cover looks like this:

I am not sure how well known or popular this disc on here, but I simply cannot get enough of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

This disk is a mix of various bits and pieces from the Supraphon catalogue.
I encourage you to investigate the complete recordings that are previewed here.

Supraphon recordings are typically very expensive but often truly amazing.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #8,316 of 9,368

Awesome!

Thanks for the info. Good to know what this is. I have no idea of what most of these discs are as I got them in a lot from a friend on another forum and they are really the beginnings of my classical music collection. The only thing I had prior to this was a Bach compilation my GF bought me at wal-mart (and I enjoy it a lot as well, to be honest).

This disc just seemed to stand out from the pack as being truly amazing (I agree with your assessment). I had no idea it was a compilation though. If the complete recordings are all this good, I can see why they would fetch some money. To the serious collector, I am sure they are worth it.

My favorite is track number four. Symfonie c. 9 e moll, op 95 "Novosvetska" II. Largo. This may seem weird to say, but I honestly get a Lord of the Rings "feel" from this track. I am weird when I listen to music in that it can make me physically react to it. My favorite stuff seems to soothe me in a way. Like a calming effect on my brain...I can't explain it very well in words, but I can feel it when the music hits my ears. This track, especially, has that calming effect on me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you again for the information. Being on a forum about gear, the audiophile nervosa can sometimes take hold, this disc is the kind of stuff that can melt all of that away.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #8,317 of 9,368
Does anyone have the 17 disc set of "Complete Chopin" works by DG?

I just checked it out from my library and started off with Disc 5 of Mazurkas played by Ashkenazi. To my ears the album is fine, though not mind-blowing. The librarian said he particularly liked the Ashkenazi recordings, which surprised me somewhat, since he and I often agree on recordings and I'm generally not a huge fan of Ashkenazi. Then I read a review on Amazon that actually the Ashkenazi records are a weak point in the set. (https://www.amazon.com/review/R1C5A1PQ4ZEV8Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002NFCHBA&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=5174&store=music#wasThisHelpful)... Others may disagree. I found the latter tracks of the first Mazurkas album, which were actually recorded earlier, to be the more engaging ones. 

I have now skipped up to Disc 16, and am listening to the Beaux Arts Trio recording of the G minor Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello, recorded in 1971, which is fantastic.

It may take me a couple of weeks at least to go through these, so if anyone has a 'best of the set' recommendation, I may jump ahead to that.

Thanks. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #8,318 of 9,368

I just checked it out from my library and started off with Disc 5 of Mazurkas played by Ashkenazi. To my ears the album is fine, though not mind-blowing. The librarian said he particularly liked the Ashkenazi recordings, which surprised me somewhat, since he and I often agree on recordings and I'm generally not a huge fan of Ashkenazi. Then I read a review on Amazon that actually the Ashkenazi records are a weak point in the set. (https://www.amazon.com/review/R1C5A1PQ4ZEV8Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002NFCHBA&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=5174&store=music#wasThisHelpful)... Others may disagree. I found the latter tracks of the first Mazurkas album, which were actually recorded earlier, to be the more engaging ones. 

I have now skipped up to Disc 16, and am listening to the Beaux Arts Trio recording of the G minor Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello, recorded in 1971, which is fantastic.

It may take me a couple of weeks at least to go through these, so if anyone has a 'best of the set' recommendation, I may jump ahead to that.

Thanks. 

I have parts of it, the piano music I have it all on decca with ashkenazy

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #8,319 of 9,368

Thanks. 

Early Ashkenazy was really good. Soon after he won the Tchaikovsky competition. Not sure what happened since.
confused.gif

I think I have that set, it's where Ashkenazy plays the waltzes right? His ballades are quite good imo, but that's from a different album

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #8,321 of 9,368
  Early Ashkenazy was really good. Soon after he won the Tchaikovsky competition. Not sure what happened since.
confused.gif

I think I have that set, it's where Ashkenazy plays the waltzes right? His ballades are quite good imo, but that's from a different album

Yes, he does the Walzes, Variations and all the Mazurkas... 

Yeah, it seems that many of his recordings in the 1980s and 1990s are hit-or-miss, but his stuff from the 1960s, and some of the 1970s material seems to be better... He's one of the better Scriabin interpreters (though not the best), and not bad at Rachmaninoff. I think despite his strength as a player, he actually tends to sound over-excited with the big passages and actually comes across as a more intelligent player on the delicate parts. 

Looking forward to hearing the Zimmerman, Pollini, and Blechacz albums. It's all new stuff for me.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #8,322 of 9,368
  Yes, he does the Walzes, Variations and all the Mazurkas... 

Yeah, it seems that many of his recordings in the 1980s and 1990s are hit-or-miss, but his stuff from the 1960s, and some of the 1970s material seems to be better... He's one of the better Scriabin interpreters (though not the best), and not bad at Rachmaninoff. I think despite his strength as a player, he actually tends to sound over-excited with the big passages and actually comes across as a more intelligent player on the delicate parts. 

Looking forward to hearing the Zimmerman, Pollini, and Blechacz albums. It's all new stuff for me.

Pires is the shining album of the bunch... She's so awesome 

If my memory is correct, there is another live recording of Pollini's chopin sonata 3, which is much better than the one included in the 17cd set. 

Happy listening!

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #8,323 of 9,368
 Hey all.

smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for the information!

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N9005 folosind Tapatalk

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #8,324 of 9,368
CanadianMaestro

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hsoOvdWw4k[/VIDEO]

Would love to hear your thoughts on his performance. He brings out some lovely inner melodies Katsaris style, and is completely unique from all other D960 performances I have heard

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #8,325 of 9,368
@ uchi
nice performance.

Working thru the symphs of Nielsen and Shostakovich.
So far, Nielsen's 3,5,6 and Shosta's 3,5,6,9, and 12 are really fine. Modern and musical.
Blomstedt SFO for Nielsen, Jansons for Shostak (various orchs from box set EMI).

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back