Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 4, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #8,281 of 9,368

Yeah, that Karajan was such a hack  ) 
confused_face_2.gif
 (...

It's amazing the Berlin Phil. was able to endure the lean years of his tenure.

rolleyes.gif

This is about cinematography, not abilities as a conductor or music director :wink:

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #8,282 of 9,368
There are moments when you ask yourselves why you have 10,000 CDs, LPs and downloads when just this one would do. A momentary madness, but Elizabeth Schwarzkopf's Strauss 'Four Last Songs' with Szell plus other Strauss lieder is doing it for me at the moment. 24bit version from HDtracks, through a Naim Unitiserve, to a Gumby and then to a Woo WA6 SE feeding the HD800 down Cardas Clear is just music. Szell is just marvellous. Yes I do know the performances with Karajan and Ackermann...
EDIT: Well, I just switched to the HE-500 with Q cable and this recording sounds even better. Maybe. Joy.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #8,283 of 9,368
  There are moments when you ask yourselves why you have 10,000 CDs, LPs and downloads when just this one would do. A momentary madness, but Elizabeth Schwarzkopf's Strauss 'Four Last Songs' with Szell plus other Strauss lieder is doing it for me at the moment. 24bit version from HDtracks, through a Naim Unitiserve, to a Gumby and then to a Woo WA6 SE feeding the HD800 down Cardas Clear is just music. Szell is just marvellous. Yes I do know the performances with Karajan and Ackermann...
EDIT: Well, I just switched to the HE-500 with Q cable and this recording sounds even better. Maybe. Joy.

It truly is a sublime recording, I prefer it to Te Kanawa and Norman, she has far more subtlety. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #8,284 of 9,368

Been enjoying this recent discovery. I'd never heard any music by Boulanger before, nor much Hindemith.

If anyone has any Hindemith cello recordings worth recommending I would very much welcome them! I have been streaming Starker/Planès recordings over the weekend. The works are really something I could get my teeth into
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #8,285 of 9,368

Been enjoying this recent discovery. I'd never heard any music by Boulanger before, nor much Hindemith.

If anyone has any Hindemith cello recordings worth recommending I would very much welcome them! I have been streaming Starker/Planès recordings over the weekend. The works are really something I could get my teeth into
bigsmile_face.gif

Well Hindemith was a viola man :wink: Wispelwey's recording of the sonata is the one I have and is good, and I have Chailly's recording of the Kammermusik which has a cello concerto (you should try the Kammermusik anyway).

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #8,286 of 9,368

This is about cinematography, not abilities as a conductor or music director :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNCw7ngNLf4

Other than that, Bach always enjoyed the viola too as it put him in the middle(no joke).

wink_face.gif

Like, sonically.

Hindemith was inconsequential to his role model IMO.
(yet his music has always been popular in this thread).
Almost never is it referenced. For examplelessness.......

deadhorse.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #8,287 of 9,368

bigsmile_face.gif

Nadia Boulanger has a beautiful fantaisie for piano orchestra. She was also quite the legendary pedagogue, lipatti and barenboim were her pupils to name a few...

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #8,292 of 9,368
@Quinto do you have both Gould box sets (the complete bach, and remastered complete Columbia)? I seem to remember a discussion on the box sets a while back on this thread.
I wondered if the Columbia set would have all the ones in the bach box? A bit confused with what to purchase.

------------------------

On a different topic, I just wanted to pass my appreciation to this thread and members.
Earlier this summer I went on a father-son bonding camping trip on his motorhome. There was a period where until recently we hadn't been speaking, but have since been mending bridges.
During the trip we listened to a lot of classical, both in the car and on his floor system at home. We had our first proper long conversations about music, which despite his previous career as an orchestra member he never indulged in. Our tastes philosophies turned out to be 'broadly' similar, and as with any musician, their take having played the piece was very enlightening.

I have to give credit to this thread and the (ex)members for curating the amazing library of knowledge that it is. Long may it continue! I can honestly say I have listened to and checked out the vast majority of posts added since I joined. Cheers guys!
gs1000.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #8,293 of 9,368
I'm looking for some good solo piano recordings of Chopin.
I could find the Ballades, Scherzos, Etudes and Polonaises in good quality, as for everything else, varying degrees of poor. I'm especially interested in the Preludes and Waltzes.

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #8,294 of 9,368
  @Quinto do you have both Gould box sets (the complete bach, and remastered complete Columbia)? I seem to remember a discussion on the box sets a while back on this thread.
I wondered if the Columbia set would have all the ones in the bach box? A bit confused with what to purchase.

------------------------

On a different topic, I just wanted to pass my appreciation to this thread and members.
Earlier this summer I went on a father-son bonding camping trip on his motorhome. There was a period where until recently we hadn't been speaking, but have since been mending bridges.
During the trip we listened to a lot of classical, both in the car and on his floor system at home. We had our first proper long conversations about music, which despite his previous career as an orchestra member he never indulged in. Our tastes philosophies turned out to be 'broadly' similar, and as with any musician, their take having played the piece was very enlightening.

I have to give credit to this thread and the (ex)members for curating the amazing library of knowledge that it is. Long may it continue! I can honestly say I have listened to and checked out the vast majority of posts added since I joined. Cheers guys!
gs1000.gif

I have the original jacket box and the complete remastered one, but from what I understood the Bach box has the same content except for a DVD with a, untill then, unreleased interview. Besides the other great stuff recorded by Gould, the remastering is very well done IMO

Nice to read about you and your dad, mine, who was a difficult man, got Alzheimers in his last years and we became best friends (he forgot the dad-son part) I used to sing along with Dietrich Fischer (Mahler/Schubert) in the car and he would laugh his pants off..

I'll always be grateful he gave me the love of music,

cheers mate.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #8,295 of 9,368

I have the original jacket box and the complete remastered one, but from what I understood the Bach box has the same content except for a DVD with a, untill then, unreleased interview. Besides the other great stuff recorded by Gould, the remastering is very well done IMO

Nice to read about you and your dad, mine, who was a difficult man, got Alzheimers in his last years and we became best friends (he forgot the dad-son part) I used to sing along with Dietrich Fischer (Mahler/Schubert) in the car and he would laugh his pants off..

I'll always be grateful he gave me the love of music,

cheers mate.

You sound like an amazing son. Thanks for sharing your story as well.

I hope you took you father's laughing as constructive criticism. I'm sure your singing voice is lovely. I will promise you that should I require the services of a [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]
Fischer-Dieskau tribute act in a future birthday/anniversary etc, you will be at least in the top 50 of potential candidates that I may or may not consider.​
[/color]

Thanks for the info on the Gould sets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back