Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #331 of 9,368
Any of you veterans have an opinion on Celibidache's Brahm Symphonies 2-4 with the Munchner Philharmoniker. I'm thinking about grabbing a copy. Any better?

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #332 of 9,368
  Any of you veterans have an opinion on Celibidache's Brahm Symphonies 2-4 with the Munchner Philharmoniker. I'm thinking about grabbing a copy. Any better?

Prepare yourself for some slooooooow tempi.
smile.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #333 of 9,368
Really have been digging on Bohm's Mozart symphonies with the Berlin Orchestra and Kletzki's Beethoven symphonies with the Czech Orchestra. I must say that Kletzki's Beethoven, in particular, has been blowing me away. 

I've been listening to those Kletzki Beethovens since reading about them on this thread and am too blown away. I love the old Czech Phil recordings anyway but wasn't aware of these. So characteristic and romantic. I'm also hearing some interesting inner details for the first time, which is always a nice revelation to have with works you think you know well.

I've also got a few of those Bohm Mozarts on vinyl, I must dig them out then soon and have another listen.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #334 of 9,368
I think "better" is a rather subjective term with Brahms symphonies.There are MANY recordings and many greats among those. I have yet to come to terms with Celibidache's slow tempos.It's probably because I grew up with Karajan, Szell and Haitink's Brahms. 

Many fine unique joy in Celibidache (especially those who heard him live) and I'm sure It's my loss.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #335 of 9,368

Prepare yourself for some slooooooow tempi.
smile.gif

I love slow, oceanic symphonies.

I've been listening to those Kletzki Beethovens since reading about them on this thread and am too blown away. I love the old Czech Phil recordings anyway but wasn't aware of these. So characteristic and romantic. I'm also hearing some interesting inner details for the first time, which is always a nice revelation to have with works you think you know well.

I've also got a few of those Bohm Mozarts on vinyl, I must dig them out then soon and have another listen.

beerchug.gif
. Bigshot turned me on to Kletzki, and I'm thankful for that.

I think "better" is a rather subjective term with Brahms symphonies.There are MANY recordings and many greats among those. I have yet to come to terms with Celibidache's slow tempos.It's probably because I grew up with Karajan, Szell and Haitink's Brahms. 

Many fine unique joy in Celibidache (especially those who heard him live) and I'm sure It's my loss.

Better is definitely subjective, which is why I asked for opinions. Any one in particular who stands out to you? What about Bernstein?

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #337 of 9,368

I love slow, oceanic symphonies.

beerchug.gif
. Bigshot turned me on to Kletzki, and I'm thankful for that.

Better is definitely subjective, which is why I asked for opinions. Any one in particular who stands out to you? What about Bernstein?

For Brahms' symphonies I can recommend the cycle conducted by Kurt Sanderling...

http://www.amazon.com/Brahms-Symphonies-Haydn-Variations-Tragic-Overture/dp/B000000FL6

I'm not personally averse to slow, so I do like Celibidache, but the Sanderling set is hard to beat.

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #338 of 9,368
For Brahms, you can't go wrong with the LA Phil recordings under Giulini.

Also, the Kleiber VPO Brahms 4 is a classic, as is the Furtwangler one.

The Abbado BPO 1st is also a blinder.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #339 of 9,368
Thanks everybody. Looks like I have some recordings to check out. 
atsmile.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #340 of 9,368
Oct 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #342 of 9,368
The Dresden set has been considered of the very best since it first appeared. Sanderling was a great conductor who was sadly stuck behind the Iron Curtain and those of us in the west were denied hearing him much until late in his career. I did hear him with Los Angeles Philharmonic doing Bruckner 4 - a concert experience I'll never forget.

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #343 of 9,368
  The Dresden set has been considered of the very best since it first appeared. Sanderling was a great conductor who was sadly stuck behind the Iron Curtain and those of us in the west were denied hearing him much until late in his career. I did hear him with Los Angeles Philharmonic doing Bruckner 4 - a concert experience I'll never forget.

Yea, I'll end up grabbing a copy of that. Have you heard the one with the Berlin Orchestra? I really think it sounds great, but my ear isn't as refined as some of y'all so I'd like to hear some more opinions... I'm starting to see how this works, but I didn't realize what I was getting myself into when I first started exploring conductors and orchestras, haha. So many variations....

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #344 of 9,368
The variations are the best part. When you hear a work performed differently, it's like hearing it again for the first time.

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #345 of 9,368
For sure. It's definitely a pleasure. Keeps things fresh and spontaneous. It can be a lot to grab onto for someone who isn't familiar though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back