Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #316 of 9,368
If you scroll down a lit bit you will see this bit of information:

Editorial Review

"These mono recordings from the early fifties (No. 8 is in stereo) testify to Herbert von Karajan's instinct for Beethoven's confrontational idiom, particularly in the 1st, 2nd, and 6th through 8th symphonies. The "Eroica" is weighty to the point of heavy-handed compared to the conductor's fleeter, more transparent Berlin remakes. Conversely, the London 5th and 9ths sport a blended proficiency far removed from the conductor's earlier, more inflected and involving Vienna versions. On balance, Karajan's 1963 Berlin cycle on DG remains first choice for its superior sound, more alluring orchestra, and cheaper price. --Jed Distler"

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #317 of 9,368
One of the great Beethoven sets of all time is being rereleased tomorrow at a ridiculously low price on BMG: Szell with Cleveland. The dated sound (it is 50 years old) holds up quite well and the performances are just incredible. The 3rd, 5th, 7th are brilliant. These recordings deserve their legendary status. Get them while you can. Szell is at the top of his game here. You won't regret it. And they're also releasing Ormandy's complete Tchaikovsky symphonies, which are a good choice if you are looking for a complete set. It's not as electric as Markevitch, but the sound of the orchestra is amazing, except in 6 where RCA's recording team let everyone down.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #318 of 9,368
  One of the great Beethoven sets of all time is being rereleased tomorrow at a ridiculously low price on BMG: Szell with Cleveland. The dated sound (it is 50 years old) holds up quite well and the performances are just incredible. The 3rd, 5th, 7th are brilliant. These recordings deserve their legendary status. Get them while you can. Szell is at the top of his game here. You won't regret it. And they're also releasing Ormandy's complete Tchaikovsky symphonies, which are a good choice if you are looking for a complete set. It's not as electric as Markevitch, but the sound of the orchestra is amazing, except in 6 where RCA's recording team let everyone down.

I found this one released a week ago. Is this one that you are talking about?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/best-collection-beethoven/id716608353

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #321 of 9,368

I also second the Szell/Cleveland recommendation. You don't here much about Szell and Cleveland these days but they were important together in their time.For me personally the Beethoven Symphonies recorded at that time are defined by these and Karajan/Berlin .Not to say they are the best but growing up with those LPs was an important revelation for me. Cleveland still has great orchestra today but Szell's presence there was something special.

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #322 of 9,368
This group doesn't have a lot of traffic, but the people really know their stuff. Good place to listen and learn. http://classicalmusicguide.com

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #325 of 9,368
  I also second the Szell/Cleveland recommendation. You don't here much about Szell and Cleveland these days but they were important together in their time.For me personally the Beethoven Symphonies recorded at that time are defined by these and Karajan/Berlin .Not to say they are the best but growing up with those LPs was an important revelation for me. Cleveland still has great orchestra today but Szell's presence there was something special.

Must be good.  I have the underrated digital set by the Cleveland Orchestra, conducted by Donhanyi (Telarc).  That is one good orchestra.  What I like about it is that the conductor got out of the way - rather than try to inject some kind of "stamp of genius" into a Beethoven cycle, he set out to make a nice, clear rendition, without fluff.  Some would call it too vanilla, but what vanilla it is when the players are so good!  I would like to hear the Szell set, I imagine it would have been quite different even with the same band...

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #326 of 9,368
You're right. The Dohnanyi/Cleveland set is terrific. What I like about it is he lets the composer speak for himself and doesn't over-interpret. Add to that the fabulous Telarc sound, the virtuosity of the orchestra, and it's a winner of a set. They need to re-release it at a budget price in a single mutli-cd box. In addition, the set of Brahms symphonies that Dohnanyi made with Cleveland (on Warner) is one of the best you can get, also, again inviting comparison to Szell - and Dohnanyi holds his own. It's a great set.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #328 of 9,368
a little off topic(sort of) but mbhaud mentioned Brahms.Has anyone here heard the recent Rattle BPO versions of those works?
I've read mixed accounts online but some reviews are very good indeed.
I'm always looking to hear more Brahms in the Autumn season.
Not really too familiar with Rattle but I've heard a great box set he did of British music.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #329 of 9,368
  a little off topic(sort of) but mbhaud mentioned Brahms.Has anyone here heard the recent Rattle BPO versions of those works?
I've read mixed accounts online but some reviews are very good indeed.
I'm always looking to hear more Brahms in the Autumn season.
Not really too familiar with Rattle but I've heard a great box set he did of British music.

"Those works" imply symphonies....

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #330 of 9,368
Really have been digging on Bohm's Mozart symphonies with the Berlin Orchestra and Kletzki's Beethoven symphonies with the Czech Orchestra. I must say that Kletzki's Beethoven, in particular, has been blowing me away. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back