Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2,747 of 9,368

Such an emotional rollercoaster ride, unbelievable..the best Mahler 9th I've heard so far!

+1, one of my favorites as well, powerful, an "iron fist in a velvet glove"!

Edit: Gramaphone is in agreement on Karajan, any thoughts on Haitink's 1970?

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #2,748 of 9,368
Listening to C. Kleiber's Beethoven 5 & 7 with the Vienna Philharmonic, majestic would be selling it short, he may have been a pain to work with but his OCD nature works well here. Wonderful recording for multitasking while watching football........

Happy New Year!!!! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,749 of 9,368
Heres a recent contemporary release that has seriously earned my advocation :)

Helen Grime (born 1981) and her debut recording on NMC. This is a collection of orchestral/ensemble works including a Clarinet concerto. She is currently chief composer for the Halle and so these recordings are performed by the Halle and include Mr Elder conducting.

Very modern but also easily digestable. Airy, intricate, complex - hints of Birtwistle's lighter side but more like Ades.

Well worth checking out for the open ear brigade.

And to put a face to the composer. 

Yuuup...  I would :)   

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,750 of 9,368
I love Bach's trio sonatas. Heres a recording that really brings out the dynamic and will test any hifi to its limit!

Some of Bach's most beautiful music. Olivier Latry is an established French organist and will be better known for his Messiaen recordings.

I have heard better performances of these works, but none that have the effect of this one.... An amazing mix of engineering skills and performance. 

and to put a face to the performer.. 

Yuuuup... I would 
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #2,751 of 9,368
So which version of Brandenburg Concerto do you prefer ?
It's a bit stupid,  but I deleted from my hard drive the one from Harnoncourt, because the version of Suzuki got much more  pristine sound quality .
Suzuki version was even rated 10/10 at classicstoday.
But I got to admit, that even after with repeated listen, I find the Suzuki version boring in comparison.
Eh proof, that I shouldn't focus too much on sound quality....

Incredible sound quality, but an  interpretation that is a bit soulless , Suzuki:

Sounds like the "right thing" in term of interpretation. Or it just sounds familiar to me at least.  Harnoncourt.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #2,753 of 9,368
I've posted this one before on here and is my choice.

BBC magazine had this as 'the one to avoid...' So just goes to show how subjective music is again. These are raw and 'viola heavy' (Savall plays the viola) performances. The extra weight at the bottom adds another dynamic to these ensemble works that can often sound too thin and tinny with period instruments.  

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2,755 of 9,368
  I've posted this one before on here and is my choice.

BBC magazine had this as 'the one to avoid...' So just goes to show how subjective music is again. These are raw and 'viola heavy' (Savall plays the viola) performances. The extra weight at the bottom adds another dynamic to these ensemble works that can often sound too thin and tinny with period instruments.  

I'll have to give it a listen; not so much to see how the 6th goes (it never really compelled me), but to hear how well they do the little viola pickup in the 3rd. I know, odd to judge performances based on 2 notes, but they were so fun to play in school ^_^

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2,757 of 9,368
Britten/Curzon Mozart Piano Concertos are great too.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,759 of 9,368
Britten/Curzon Mozart Piano Concertos are great too.

And his Mozart symphonies and Requiem (the latter in iffy sound but great performance).

And the Britten-Richter collaborations. (Basically, everything except his own music. :evil:)

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2,760 of 9,368
So my two-year old managed to make it through this whole DVD (pointing out the horns a lot, which is good ^_^)

Anyone have any Mahler DVDs/Blurays they really like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back