Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #137 of 9,368
Quote:
I understand it to some extent (I imagine that in some case , it could get on your nerve) , but the cd I've recommended , I've listened it many time, without problems. Unless I'm already mad.

I'll have to give that a listen. I find glass harmonica difficult listening for the most part.

On a related note Kuniko Plays Reich is an absolutely mesmerizing disk and brilliantly produced.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #138 of 9,368
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDvkyGBBn2E 
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #139 of 9,368
Anyone have a recommendation for an excellent complete Beethoven symphonies on CD? Anyone here who knows numerous versions have a favourite? I'll probably own multiple versions eventually. I've only ever owned a Naxos/Lydian version with Richard Edlinger and the Zagreb Philharmonic. I like it, but want to experience different interpretations. I'm thinking about picking up the Blomsted/Dresden version (recorded 1975-1980), because the price is right. Thanks for any thoughts.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #140 of 9,368
Quote:
Anyone have a recommendation for an excellent complete Beethoven symphonies on CD? Anyone here who knows numerous versions have a favourite? I'll probably own multiple versions eventually. I've only ever owned a Naxos/Lydian version with Richard Edlinger and the Zagreb Philharmonic. I like it, but want to experience different interpretations. I'm thinking about picking up the Blomsted/Dresden version (recorded 1975-1980), because the price is right. Thanks for any thoughts.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-9-Symphonies-Karajan-Janowitz/dp/B000056OBA

Three is also apparently a hybrid disk version.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #141 of 9,368
Quote:
Anyone have a recommendation for an excellent complete Beethoven symphonies on CD?

I  like the cycle done by Paavo Järvi, because of the very clean sound. It seems they are only available as separate cd,
but they are all highly rated at classicstoday.com:
http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-13798/?search=1
I'd suggest you listen to one and see if it's worth to get the others.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #142 of 9,368
There are a million Beethoven symphony cycles, but my favorites are Kletzki / Czech Philharmonic and Bohm / Vienna Philharmonic. The Kletzki has a lot of energy and the Bohm has Viennese beauty. Two different approaches. Both orchestras are superb.

I have the Blomstedt / Dresden and 60s Karajan cycles too and they are both very good. I would recommend them.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #143 of 9,368
Quote:

we should really try to use the search function before posting: the first thread that pops up for "Beethoven Symphonies" is this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/77383/beethoven-symphonies
In there you will find 10 years (well maybe six or seven since the thread died off after 63 pages...) of collective wisdom and entertaining back-and-forth among some really competent head-fiers. If you have a specific question after scanning through the thread, I would post it there: it will elicit more attention and will be more useful to others in the future.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #145 of 9,368
Quote:
There are a million Beethoven symphony cycles, but my favorites are Kletzki / Czech Philharmonic and Bohm / Vienna Philharmonic.

I just picked up the Bohm/Vienna Philharmonic box set on vinyl for $9.99 at my local used record shop. 8 clean, immaculate, perfectly flat Deutsche Grammophon records in paper/plastic sleeves. Very few pops or clicks. Sweet! My best deal on anything in months. Sounds wonderful.

I'd forgotten about the impressive look and feel of DG records. I used to buy them as a kid and the packaging, booklets, liner notes, paper/plastic sleeves, and the high quality pressings and their attendant sound just seemed like the pinnacle of quality, intelligent civilization.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #146 of 9,368
Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique with Robin Ticciati conducting the Scottish Chamber Orchestra is really nice performance and the 24/96 sound is exceptional.  I had never heard of Ticciati and had doubts about the fit of the piece for chamber orchestra but found it really enjoyable.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #147 of 9,368
They'll be doing Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung with string quartets next! Or perhaps Mahler's Symmphony of a Thousand with a trio!

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #148 of 9,368
Quote:
They'll be doing Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung with string quartets next! Or perhaps Mahler's Symmphony of a Thousand with a trio!

The first 3 movements are lightly orchestrated and I don't think suffers at all from the relatively small orchestra.  In the last two there may not be the bombastic sound of a full modern orchestra but there's a clarity that I find very enjoyable.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #149 of 9,368

Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde

The Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Otto Klemperer with Christa Ludwig, Fritz Wunderlich

This recording receives high praise from reviewers, some calling it one of the greatest Mahler recordings ever.  Although recorded in the 60's, this EMI 24/96 2011 remastering sounds exceptional.  Musically and sonically a real treat.  I also have the Haitink/Baker/King version which is also an outstanding performance, unfortunately the sound just isn't comparable to the EMI remaster.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #150 of 9,368

Leibowitz by Cheski

Users who are viewing this thread

Back