Best classical recordings...ever!
Feb 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #123 of 9,368
That Decca Sound box is spectacular

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #124 of 9,368
Anyone here into more contemporary/modern orchestral music?

Relatedly, I've been on a huge early 20th century British kick-- the genius of SIR ARNOLD BAX, and Clifford, Bainton, Ireland, Delius, Rubbra, Walton, Holst, Vaughan-Williams, Alwyn, Arnell, Howells, Rutland, Moeran, Bantock, Jacob, Lloyd, Warlock, Butterworth, Gough, Simpson, Hart, McCabe etc...(notice I didn't mention Elgar or Britten :wink:) ...

So much distinctive richness there, that we don't normally hear in the greater collective/common canon of performed orchestral music. And that's just one cultural locale...

I've also been loving the symphonies of Czech composer Bohuslav Martinu. He absorbed a bit of the American energy in his work while staying there, I think. I've been enjoying the Chandos/Bryden Thomson recording of his complete symphonies--fabulous. Like any classic, they are open to multiple interpretations-- and this is one of them. Recommended.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #125 of 9,368
Quote:
Anyone here into more contemporary/modern orchestral music?

Relatedly, I've been on a huge early 20th century British kick-- the genius of SIR ARNOLD BAX, and Clifford, Bainton, Ireland, Delius, Rubbra, Walton, Holst, Vaughan-Williams, Alwyn, Arnell, Howells, Rutland, Moeran, Bantock, Jacob, Lloyd, Warlock, Butterworth, Gough, Simpson, Hart, McCabe etc...

OMG so much british composers  I've never heard about.

Quote:
.(notice I didn't mention Elgar or Britten :wink:) ..

The only ones I've heard about :wink: But what about Purcell
biggrin.gif
(actually I've heard of him only because it's played on  Clockwork Orange)

I can't listen to everything anyway, so I  prefer to focus on most famous composers :wink:

The only classical I was interested recently was regarding military march.
One highly rated by classsicstoday "fennel conducts Sousa" :

And an other one played by Karajan "Preussiche & Osterreichische Marsch"

There are other more "realistic" cd, played by true "military bands", but I find it's better when played with orchestras (except ambiance that is different).

Oh, I like also to hear "Fanfare for the common man" played by Zubin Meta :

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #126 of 9,368
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I can't listen to everything anyway, so I  prefer to focus on most famous composers :wink:

There are other more "realistic" cd, played by true "military bands", but I find it's better when played with orchestras (except ambiance that is different).

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #128 of 9,368
Quote:
arcamera: you did not mention ARNOLD - exceptional recordings: Flute Concerto; Peterloo; and symphony No 5!

extrabigmehdi: try Purcell's Dido and Aenes again exceptional.

kolyas-- you are right-- Malcolm Arnold is wonderful. Though I sometimes find his symphonies a little strange/demented. Not always my cup of tea, but I agree his work is very worthwhile.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #130 of 9,368
Arcamera

'The complete symphonies of Sir Arnold Bax, conducted by the late Vernon Handley-- possibly my favourite musical purchase of the last decade. Recommended. To say the least.'

Bax very underrated. And Handley the perfect interpreter. Handley made recordings on vinyl 'Classics for Pleasure' the cheap version of HMV and real recording gems. I also have his Elgar symphonies 1 and 2 which topped the best recordings list for years. 

If you find Arnold's symphonies  demented how about Maxwell Davies and Tippet?

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #131 of 9,368
Ha, yeah-- Maxwell Davies and Tippett are pretty wild too.

"Demented" was probably the wrong word choice for the Symponies of Arnold, sorry. Rather, he can be very unpredictable, and often uses an intentional 'pastiche,' somewhat like Shostakovich did, I'd say. Originally many critics thought Arnold was indulging in 'light music', but I think he was misunderstood in what he was doing, saying. Complex, he was.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #133 of 9,368
The classical cd I've heard the most is "Music For Glass Harmonica"  (with various composers , and played by Bruno Hoffmann)
It's something exceptional you don't hear everyday. It's .... glass harmonica.

How the instrument looks like :

It's sounds a bit like "crystal" glass.

Here a track I found on youtube :

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #134 of 9,368
Quote:

biggrin.gif

you're taking me way back.  the eastman cd was one of my first cds, and the marches with the berlin winds was soon after.  several years after i bought that cd set, Eugene Corporan highly recommended it after giving a march concert with the North Texas Wind Symphony while I was studying there.

My favorite recording of Copland's Fanfare is from the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble.  I've found that the intonation is very off on most recordings, especially the premier recording with the London Symphony.  The Philip Jones recording has the best tone quality from the brass, and the tuning is nearly perfect

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #135 of 9,368
Quote:
The classical cd I've heard the most is "Music For Glass Harmonica"  (with various composers , and played by Bruno Hoffmann)
It's something exceptional you don't hear everyday. It's .... glass harmonica.

How the instrument looks like :

It's sounds a bit like "crystal" glass.

Here a track I found on youtube :

You do realize that Glass Harmonica music was supposed to drive people mad back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back