Best Class A Amp Ever? Mark Johnson's T2 Class A Amplifier
Sep 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #47 of 55
The designer of the T2 obviously cared or he wouldn't have included the filter. Too bad the filter does nothing to reduce the switching hash.

Tom

I'm curious to find out if the CRCRC configuration like used on the Whammys power supply would do a better job at filtering. I have seen the measurements and after the 3rd set of caps the ripple is practically nothing. Dead silent.

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #48 of 55
As mentioned previously someone pointed out that bypassing the diodes w/4700uf could lower noise by 14db. I did so and found it effective. Perhaps start there. It takes all of a few seconds.

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #50 of 55
In the first prototype of my TCA HPA-1, I found that the second LC in a CLCLC filter unnecessary, so I took it out.

Tom

I was on about Cap - Resistor. Wayne demonstrated on the scope with the first set of caps the noise was reduced but still present, then through the second set the noise was considerably less then through the third set it was more or less a straight line.

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #51 of 55
Oop. Sorry. Yeah. The extra RC will probably help. With an RC you only get -20 dB/decade filter slope past the cutoff frequency. An LC can theoretically get you to -40 dB/dec, though the parasitics of the L and C often limit the filter effectiveness. That's why one must pay attention to those parasitics when designing the filter (and measure the filter in practice).

Tom

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #52 of 55
SItting here this am listening to Diana Krall's, Hit that Jive Jack with the poorly measured T2 and the exerience once again is "SUPERLATIVE"....wide open soundstage....just comparing to my Schitt Vahalla 2 which some other sites measured it and gave it a BIG black eye as well....but it sounds magical with my HD600's and T1 R2's.....

Once again measurements do not always tell the whole story...plug in your cans and decide for yourself.

Using a pair of Audio Technica MSR7's (on Tyl's hall of fame for awhile)...$250 price range. 35 ohm impedance.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...ords=msr7&qid=1568639641&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Alex

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #53 of 55
Another T2 joins the collection today.

A big thankyou to Mark Johnson for sharing his design and pcbs and all those that have offered kind words of wisdom on the diyaudio thread.

I needed to make a slightly a different front panel only because I wanted to make use of a course and fine 36 step attenuator that's been sat in my parts box for a few years in place of the blue Alps specified.

A 1meter length of cat 6 cable is sufficient to complete the 11 turns on the ferrite as well as providing all the wiring for hooking up.

First impressions

Its sounding very nice hooked up to my Oppo 205 dac and streaming via Roon Rock.

I've been listening with Oppo pm3 and Sennheiser HD800 (sdr mod)

9941390_l.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #55 of 55
Doing a Schitt Magni3 comparison to the newly renamed T2 now "Noir"....

Both are excellent in listening, very hard to tell the two apart!!

Sitting here side by side with a set of Y adapters on the back of the Schitt Bifrost MB using a beta board from Schitt ( their new Unison USB interface which is in their shipping Bifrost 2 but not yet available for the first gen Bifrost 1's...) feeding the two amps so I can very quickly swap between the two amps....less than 2 seconds etc....

So level set and fast switching...they both sound great, even knowing the specs measured for both are very different.

Using Audio Technica ATH M50's (32 ohms) and Focal Clears (55 ohms)...very different sound from each.

The Schitt Magni 3 was a B stock $79 amp! The Noir is approx $200 when all done and said and DIY.

I really like the Noir and I really like the Schitt Magni3....

It tells me you do not have to spend several hundred dollars on an amp to have a great sonic experience...

I could be very happy with either of these amps....

That said, many folks will spend mega-bucks and get a great experience as well.....

but for starving students...well.....there is that starving student amp over at DIY, which by the way was just updated by Pete M.

Alex

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back