Best Choice of Closed Cans - $250 or less
Feb 2, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #31 of 59
I'd say the Denons are hard to beat. If you could extend the budget enough to get the 5000s now that they are being reduced, you will be very pleased you stretched it a bit.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #32 of 59
LOL

From this thread I shall say that Denons X Beyers are just a matter of taste.
Some Worship the D2000 and D5000, some the DT150 or even the DT770Pro...
Quite a hard decision for me who hasn't heard any of them and cannot try them before buying (if any Brazilian would like to offer me some hearing on your setup...
bigsmile_face.gif
quite hard here...)

Cheapest D5000s I`ve seen are in the low 400s. But 100dollars seems to be quite a bargain for wooden cups and better cable.... (if I always think like that, I`ll be buying really expensive stuff soon..., but when I cnnvert that 400usd to brazilian money, this is quite expensive...)

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by draven5494 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too have been looking very hard at the DT150s. My main use would be PC gaming and music through my Asus Xonar Essence STX card. Would the DT150s be a good fit?

The DT150 needs a good source and a strong amp to sound good IMO.
Your soundcart is supposed to be a high-end card, but I have no idea if it will be a good fit.
It's a rather new soundcard.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT150 needs a good source and a strong amp to sound good IMO.
Your soundcart is supposed to be a high-end card, but I have no idea if it will be a good fit.
It's a rather new soundcard.

The Essence is supposed to be able to handle headphones at up to 600ohms. I know that is marketing speak, but at 250ohms they should be able to handle the DT150s, I would think. It does have the built-in headphone amp.

As far as gaming on the DT150s, they supposedly have a large soundstage. How detailed is this soundstage? Can you pinpoint sounds from around you?

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

The Essence is supposed to be able to handle headphones at up to 600ohms. I know that is marketing speak, but at 250ohms they should be able to handle the DT150s, I would think. It does have the built-in headphone amp.

As far as gaming on the DT150s, they supposedly have a large soundstage. How detailed is this soundstage? Can you pinpoint sounds from around you?

I don't play games, so I can't say anything about it.
But to my ears, the soundstage is quite detailed, especially for a closed headphone. I played some binaural recordings, and the sound was around my head, everything well placed. It was a creepy experience.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #38 of 59
The D2000 and the D5000 are the same headphones, with only the cups and cable different. If you can make your own woodies, do it! I'm sure if HeadphoneAddict sees this thread he'll chime in, as he had his D2000s re-cabled and woodied and lot of good to say about them.

There's a thread about damping the D1000/1001 as well. Someone also re-cabled theirs and was pleased.

About the sibilance: If you do the markl mods, which reign in the bass, you do get some sibilance, because it brings out the treble.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Well, I ordered a pair from BHphoto. I can't wait to receive them and compare them to my current cans (hfi-780s).

I'm curious about your findings of the HFI 780 vs. DT150. Please let us know when you have the time.

Here's an excellent review where the DT150 are compared to the Ultrasone Pro 900: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...ml#post5226495

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

I'm curious about your findings of the HFI 780 vs. DT150. Please let us know when you have the time.

Here's an excellent review where the DT150 are compared to the Ultrasone Pro 900: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...ml#post5226495

That was a great review! I am even more excited to get these cans now.

As for my HFI-780s, I like them. They are great cans. I really get into the music when listening on those. Although, I have no intention on getting rid of my HFI-780s at this time, I am looking for another, more neutral can that still has that punch of bass with a bigger soundstage for gaming and music. So, I am hoping the DT150s fit the bill.

I have also heard of the lengthy burn-in period for the DT150s as well. So, it may be a little while before I can report back with a fair comparison. I will report back with my thoughts when that is done.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

I have also heard of the lengthy burn-in period for the DT150s as well. So, it may be a little while before I can report back with a fair comparison. I will report back with my thoughts when that is done.

Well, lengthy....
I played 48 hours non-stop loud rockmusic through them, and that was enough in my opinion. After that I noticed no changes really.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Well, lengthy....
I played 48 hours non-stop loud rockmusic through them, and that was enough in my opinion. After that I noticed no changes really.

That's good to hear! I don't remember where, but I saw some burn-in figures of a couple-hundred hours for the DT150s.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #44 of 59
Given the ones you've listed and the ones I've tried that are arguably comparable:

Denon AH-D2000
Ultrasone Proline750
Audio Technica A900LTD,

I preferred the D2000--and by a wide margin--over the others.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

That's good to hear! I don't remember where, but I saw some burn-in figures of a couple-hundred hours for the DT150s.

Yes, I did say it needs more. I bought Greeni's DT150. When I got it, I found it to be extremely veiled, much worse than the Senn veil. After about 2 weeks non-stop on my end, and Greeni told me he burned it in for 100 hours before I bought it, I figured about 3 weeks of burn in. It's still a bit veiled in the upper mids, to me, but has become much less so than earlier. 48 hours wasn't enough for me. The highs were horribly recessed.

For rock, it still misses the bite of the guitar crunch. For my comparison, the K240 Sextett MP does not have that issue. It has a clearer sound, although it is less airy than the DT150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back